The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#280335 - 04/14/16 06:10 PM Re: Emergency Evavuation: SitRep's [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
SitRep 4 and Final: We've returned home having been gone 24 hrs.
Lessons learned:
1. This was a short notice evac and we packed for the short term (1-7 days). The only items we overlooked was the wheelchair battery charger and extra pillows for my DD1's sleeping comfort.
2. The LBE, patrol pack, & basic MOPP Gear was a suitable but unneeded supplemental gear load out. It does provide future possible options though.
3. Our camper is equipped, stored in a somewhat remote garage, and remained as a viable "living quarters" option had it been needed. It is reserved for longer distance bug out scenarios and shall remain so.
4. DD1 has learned that pics of her favorite boy band does not have any priority when it's grab and go time.
5. We grabbed food and bowls for the Fur Babies. Their BoB's are stored in the camper and were accessible this entire time.
6. This entire evolution went down as though it were being practiced on a monthly basis. I was really surprised by how smoothly necessary gear was packed and loaded. If this were to happen while I'm not home to do the heavy lifting, the portable lift and potty chair (DD1's equipment) would have to be left behind. There are ways that DW could and would have to adapt. She does know how to find help in a pinch though and they could get through the max 48hrs that it take for my return.

Overall, this evacuation was an excellent Live Fire exercise!

#280376 - 04/18/16 08:28 PM Re: Emergency Evavuation: SitRep's [Re: wildman800]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I think I need to prep for a situation like that, as I don't live far from the railroad. It seems to me just like taking a sudden trip for a few days. I like the tip about keeping receipts. Is there anything else that may be particular to a railroad spill situation?

#280381 - 04/18/16 09:53 PM Re: Emergency Evavuation: SitRep's [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I think I need to prep for a situation like that, as I don't live far from the railroad. It seems to me just like taking a sudden trip for a few days. I like the tip about keeping receipts. Is there anything else that may be particular to a railroad spill situation?

I got evacuated when I was a kid due to a train derailment turned propane explosion. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Mississauga_train_derailment) It's a burned into my memory. I live an the other side of the lake now, but still near major national rail lines, so it's one of my family's top prepping priorities.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#280384 - 04/18/16 10:02 PM Re: Emergency Evavuation: SitRep's [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you are near a rail line, prepping for it (probably a quick evacuation/impromptu road trip) should be on your list of priorities.i am about a mile from a busy railroad, fortunately uphill and upwind.

#280392 - 04/19/16 02:22 AM Re: Emergency Evavuation: SitRep's [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Up hill is good and although the wind can be made useof, it can never be depended on.

If one lives within a mile of any 4 lane highway OR a 2 lane highway with truck traffic, one lives with the possibility of a chemical incident. HazMat cargoes are also carried in box (dry cargo) trailers as well.

#280393 - 04/19/16 02:24 AM Re: Emergency Evavuation: SitRep's [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We've had the same type of experience. The propane train derailment I first evacuated from was Laurel, Ms on 14 Feb 1968!

#280394 - 04/19/16 02:57 AM Re: Emergency Evavuation: SitRep's [Re: Bingley]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bingley

Each location is different. I am 300 metres from a feeder train track (slow-moving trains) and 2 km from a refinery. While a derailment probability is quite low, it is still possible. A lot of commodities like steel, cars, lumber, wheat and potash run right past me. None of those are harmful. An oil spill would be an environmental nightmare but not necessarily a dangerous one. Mind you, even in a high speed derailment, container cars are designed not to leak. However, anhydrous ammonia cars are another story. (There is an ammonia gas plant 50 km away). In theory if there was a derailment and the ammonia was released it could be a matter of minutes before it could affect me with the right wind. Bugging out in that situation would have to be immediate and I may not even have the time to get my vehicle out of the garage and drive away. Actually by the time I would be aware of the ammonia it would be too late or it might be safer to stay in the house (shelter-in-place) and not try to go outside.

#280395 - 04/19/16 03:13 AM Re: Emergency Evavuation: SitRep's [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have gas masks available and think that's a good item to maintain for each household member. Even half faced respirators will buy you the needed time to drive clear of the affected area.

#280397 - 04/19/16 04:01 AM Re: Emergency Evavuation: SitRep's [Re: wildman800]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Up hill is good and although the wind can be made useof, it can never be depended on.

If one lives within a mile of any 4 lane highway OR a 2 lane highway with truck traffic, one lives with the possibility of a chemical incident. HazMat cargoes are also carried in box (dry cargo) trailers as well.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. This thread brings to mind a situation that occurred on San Miguel Island (Channel Islands National Park) about 1987, if I remember correctly. The island is about thirty miles distant from Vandenberg AFB, site of missile launches from time to time. On this occasion, one blew up on the launch pad, with a full load of... whatever. I was on Anacapa island, even further away, and we were directed to evacuate immediately. We had some people on San Miguel, and they went inside and sealed up the windows and doors until a plane could arrive to remove them from the island. They were examined carefully and suffered no ill effects.

Even more exciting was the occasion a few years later, when a missile was destroyed while over the island, sending solid stuff raining down. Talk about environmental impacts....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.