Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#279815 - 03/06/16 07:34 AM 3D printing pen for survival prep?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
3D printing pens "draw" shapes in plastic [and maybe other materials]. Like a much simpler, cheaper, and probably more limited version of a 3D printer, what are uses for survival prep?

#279823 - 03/06/16 01:34 PM Re: 3D printing pen for survival prep? [Re: dweste]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Consider those pens a 3D version of the crayon. They are for rapid prototyping and freehand use. It might be a bit difficult (and expensive to create useful survival items.
You might be better off to try and make some equipment with a hot glue pistol. That works fairly well. It does not have the precision of 3D printers though.

#279825 - 03/06/16 02:26 PM Re: 3D printing pen for survival prep? [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It's just another way to create stuff - might be useful, might not - but definitely expensive.

#279855 - 03/07/16 10:58 PM Re: 3D printing pen for survival prep? [Re: dweste]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I believe, such a pen is just a fun way to introduce kids to 3D printing. The whole point of 3D printer is to provide precise way of applying bits of plastic into layers, forming a rigid structure with predefined parameters in fully automated way from a draft. It's near to impossible to achieve that manually, even with steady and artful hands you will have to spend tens of hours to produce even a rather small useful thing. Even 3D printer extruding the plastic line at 6" per second spends hours and hours on that. Also anything you can manually print with such a pen will suffer from simplicity. The software, which is slicing your CAD draft prior to sending it layer by layer to the printer is quite sophisticated. It will take years of practice to gain experience of thinking your hand moves well ahead of the hot melting plastic flow.

Max has nailed it down, it's just a miniature glue gun laugh

#279858 - 03/08/16 03:52 AM Re: 3D printing pen for survival prep? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Slow and best for very small projects, yes. Ever any small projects in your survival prep? Any use for small plastic forms, seams, electrical insulation, leak repair, cracked plastic repair, possible waterproofing, etc.?

Match this with ability to recycyle plastic waste to feed the beast.

#279885 - 03/08/16 11:25 PM Re: 3D printing pen for survival prep? [Re: dweste]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Recycling random plastic bits for a 3D printer is not an easy task. The resulting filament must be extremely uniform, otherwise your print layers wouldn't stick. However, for a manual pen that could be amended by constant visual adhesion monitoring and adjustment - no doubt, that will eventually come with practice.

For an abstract survival use... I'd opt for a glue gun or even a soldering iron anyway, as they're way more reliable, especially if you plan to feed them with random plastic garbage and use in survival settings for tough equipment improvisation smile All you need to improve on a small glue gun and a powerfull iron is to add a temperature regulator and an interchangeable nozzles receptacle, so you can adjust the base material type and the walls/elements thickness as the job might dictate.

In my survival toolbox I have a small propane/butane torch/soldering iron with several knives and heating nozzles of various forms, similar to this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-in-1-Professi...K-/371134778692 Plus a piece of thick steel wire to improvise custom shapes. It helps to work with various plastics, tin, and glass very efficiently - what should cover most of the survival preps tasks you have outlined above and many more of those a pen cannot handle. It's also a fantastic lighter for your emergency fire, even out of wet wood.

A typical 3D pen, on other hand, works with a specific plastic type only (I suspect 3D pen is just a smart way to sell cheap plastic 10-20 times above it's actual price, as it must come from the pen manufacturer and its affiliates only to maintain the warranty), so you cannot use just any plastic with it without serious modifications. Even the same plastic, after the initial melting will behave differently after re-melting. Too high temp for the particular plastic's sweet-spot and it starts bubbling, thus interfering with extrusion; or "aching", making the result brittle or not adhesive, contaminating the nozzle or the extruding mechanism; too low - inadequate adhesion again, uneven layers, cool-down delamination, or clogging the nozzle too. Moisture absorbed in the filament? Foreign solid particles on the filament surface or within? - More problems with the process and with the result. I'm observing all these effects on my table printer daily and it took a lot of time to tune up the software and the setup itself in order to produce really usable, repeatable, sturdy things on each overnight run. A pen does not provide much of adjustments if any at all.

#279889 - 03/09/16 01:27 AM Re: 3D printing pen for survival prep? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Comment: its early days for this technology and its use.

#279890 - 03/09/16 01:59 AM Re: 3D printing pen for survival prep? [Re: dweste]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

I'm sure it will vanish as soon as 3D printer get cheaper. In fact, all you need to build a basic one costs around $50 in mass production. The rest is the novelty profit and convenience attachments.

#279891 - 03/09/16 02:54 AM Re: 3D printing pen for survival prep? [Re: dweste]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
About the only techniques that will tolerate scrap plastic involve sand casting. Thermoset plastics can be shredded and suspended in a low temperature low viscosity to reinforce it. Thermoplastics, assuming that the type of plastic is matched, can simply be melted and poured. Keep in mind that the resulting product will be much weaker then commercially available plastics.

IMHO, the best skills for self reliance involving scrap plastic would be bonding (glues and fasteners), heat forming (bending, not melting), and mechanical forming (files, drills, and saws).

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.