Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#279678 - 02/23/16 03:51 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Dagny]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Just so nobody misunderstands my intention, I do not recommend doing these things with your knife, just that I have done them before and had serious consequences. It is not something that I chose, nor would I choose it now if given another option. It is just my rationalization for why I prefer a knife that costs a bit more.

#279680 - 02/23/16 04:36 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Montanero gives a perfect description of a situation where a "sharpened, indestructible pry bar" knife makes perfect sense, primarily because one can only carry so much. But as I follow this thread, I feel more and more that having an assortment of pry bars and levers conveniently at hand makes good sense.

You can get anything from a key ring type "widget" to a hefty iron rod six feet long at your local big box hardware store. They can be destroyed, if that is possible, with no regrets and they can easily be improvised. I find I am carrying my light pry bar more and more, although for a fairly specialized task, but I can see it being useful in many situations, including SD if it came to that.

A pry bar makes a good supplement to a generalized, reasonably good quality (Mora) knife for a lot of situations.

#279684 - 02/23/16 05:01 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The more I read on sharpened pry-bars (I have a few) the more content I am with a quality locking folder and a Cold Steel shovel. Toss in a cheap Stanley pry-bar and there's no reason the break your tools.

#279688 - 02/23/16 07:47 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Dagny]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

True enough. When you think about it, a typical overbuilt "survival" knife these days costs at least $100. For that money you get a blade that doesn't cut very well and really isn't as strong or practical for prying as a proper prybar.

On the other hand, you could get a Mora and a compact prybar for $20-30. This combo would weigh no more than a heavy duty survival knife and provide you with two excellent tools, one for cutting/bushcrafting tasks and one for prying/heavy duty stuff. Heck, a Mora weighs less than an M9 magazine w/ 15 rds of 9mm.

#280022 - 03/19/16 06:37 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Three new Mora knives -- all full-tang:

Eldris 2.2" blade .08 spine 2.8 oz (comes with neck knife kit)

Garberg 4.3" blade .13 spine 9.6 oz (new sheath/mounting)

Kansbol 4.3" blade .10 spine 4.7 oz (new sheath/mounting)

http://outdoornews.morakniv.se

#280023 - 03/19/16 10:23 PM Re: Morakniv Kansbol [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks Dagny. The stock and grind of the Kansbol is very interesting.

#280025 - 03/20/16 12:13 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: hikermor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Digging sticks are a common implement in prehistoric North American cultures -typically a tough, resilient wood rod, with an attached stone weight. It is typically pushed into the ground beside the desired plant (which usually has a buried succulent tuber underground)and then the tuber is levered up and out. On fairly shallow stuff, it works quite well.

Its kind of ironic reading this for me since I bought my very first Mora knife specifically for digging out plants.

When in college - in the summer of '85 - I took a field botany class and needed something to help me cut stems at the ground and dig out plant roots. Not wanting to trash my Buck folder, so I went to the local Pamida store (do the still exist?) to look for a cheap knife. I found a cheap odd looking fixed blade knife with a black plastic handle and sheath. Perfect.

I beat the heck out of that knife and it never bent nor did the blade chip. After the class was over I sharpened it and was surprised by how sharp it got, so I've carried it in my truck ever since. It wasn't until many MANY years later when I learned about Mora knives through equipped.org that I realized that my truck knife was a Mora knife.

#280026 - 03/20/16 03:20 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I got my first Mora roughly the same way - I was looking for a beater to use in my wood shop. It is now my go to knife in the kitchen - my sweetie doesn't like sharp knives, so I keep the sharpened Mora off in a quiet corner. It's still cutting like a champ after thirty years....

#280071 - 03/23/16 06:53 AM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Dagny]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Dagny wrote:
> Three new Mora knives -- all full-tang:

But the only one I can see them saying is full tang is the
Garberg.

Am I missing some part of the web page? (http://outdoornews.morakniv.se)

qjs

#280072 - 03/23/16 01:33 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Dagny]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Has anyone tried the countycomm.com EOD Breacher Bar?

It looks like a prybar someone ground an edge on. also about 20.00

Montanero-I have never broken the blade on the Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel, but I have broken a handle. -- It was stupid 25 year old playing- using it as a throwing axe at camp- it hit wrong and snapped. Brought a new handle to 8.00, good as new.

I also have a bit of an issue with rust-- I keep one in the back seat (floor) of my car. I have it in the sheath/case. It gets damp back there from the kids boots, and the edge (the not painted part) gets red all the time.
I have a second one that I keep in my wife's car. The kids use it at the beach enough that most of the paint came off. even though thoroughly cleaned, I had issues with surface rust with it sitting under the seat in her van. I sanded, then repainted with Rustoleum to prevent more.

I h

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 538 Guests and 149 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.