Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#278976 - 01/23/16 07:28 PM Re: One Rifle, 23 Calibers: Scavenger 6 at SHOT Show 2 [Re: adam2]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: adam2
This sounds to me like the sort of versatile weapon that might be worth buying and storing away for any long term emergency, rather than carrying around in most situations.

The was a little tongue in cheek. AFAIK they built around 500 of those revolvers. The extractor was more fragile than that of regular double action revolver and definitely more fragile than the ejector rod of the SAA type.

Possession of a gun that accepts a wide range of ammunition could be literally a life saver.

I think thatīs only true if you can actually hit something at some distance with it. That tends to be a problem with guns that accept a wide range of ammo. Twist rate is a factor here.

Worth considering IMHO as a long term doom prep, rather than for routine hunting or defensive purposes. You might never need it, but that is true of many doom preps.

For long term doom prep Iīd rather have a bow. The ammo can be improvised, practice keeps you fit and it may outrange a revolver that is used with the wrong type of ammo. Itīs report is much quieter too.

#279171 - 01/30/16 12:39 AM Re: One Rifle, 23 Calibers: Scavenger 6 at SHOT Show 2 [Re: clearwater]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Just stumbled upon that 12ga multiple caliber shotgun kit again: http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/163 That's only 4 inserts, but I think, I saw 8 somewhere. Perhaps that's not the only manufacturer.

Update: found an infographics for the eight here :

#279177 - 01/30/16 05:51 AM Re: One Rifle, 23 Calibers: Scavenger 6 at SHOT Show 2 [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Yes, you can fire the round,but to what effect? Firing a rifle cartridge from what appears to be a short barrel should not help performance in the least. Better to have one firearm with plenty of ammo, that you can shoot accurately..Still, way better than nothing

#279219 - 01/31/16 06:09 AM Re: One Rifle, 23 Calibers: Scavenger 6 at SHOT Show 2 [Re: clearwater]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

"Better than nothing" is probably what many serious shooters think about this gun. They have their tried-and-true guns, guns that they can rely on in life and death situations. They have spent many hours testing these guns, and they have accessorized them just right. They are not about to give them up. They'd probably prefer to stock ample ammunition for that one gun they can trust.

#279220 - 01/31/16 07:47 AM Re: One Rifle, 23 Calibers: Scavenger 6 at SHOT Show 2 [Re: clearwater]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Most people would consider me a "serious shooter." I practice, I take classes, I teach classes, and I compete. While I focus on pistol, I do also shoot shotgun, "modern sporting rifle," and precision rifle (although I am fairly new to this discipline). 2015 was a light year for me, at about 5000 rounds. From that perspective, I can't see a use for this firearm. I would likely be better off if I invested in a reliable and accurate .22LR rifle and ammo rather than this.

#279222 - 01/31/16 10:29 AM Re: One Rifle, 23 Calibers: Scavenger 6 at SHOT Show 2 [Re: chaosmagnet]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I see you point perfectly guys. However, it's coming from the range/competition/hunting perspective exclusively. In the survival perspective the options above do have their serious place. You can stock on a ton of ammo, but you stockpile could be destroyed, stolen, unreachable, as well as your beloved zeroid in carbine. Then just dig out your hidden doomsday cash with a cheap 12 ga and these inserts. It's hard to have a lot of ammo for 12 ga in such a cash, neither carrying a lot of it out of the woods at once, but who cares - as with the inserts any scavenged or traded ammo will do just fine for the close quarters shelter defense and some hunting. Looking at the inserts length I can tell that at least they are providing noticeably longer barrel than your typical handgun, so it's probably should not shoot any worse (except that for a better gases dynamics it might be beneficial to saw off the shotgun's barrel some).

#279234 - 01/31/16 04:49 PM Re: One Rifle, 23 Calibers: Scavenger 6 at SHOT Show 2 [Re: Alex]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Alex
Then just dig out your hidden doomsday cash with a cheap 12 ga and these inserts.

I don't see any way in which this would be better than a dedicated survival firearm and ammo for it.

#279249 - 01/31/16 10:02 PM Re: One Rifle, 23 Calibers: Scavenger 6 at SHOT Show 2 [Re: clearwater]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
The target, no pun intended, audience for this is way into the PAW. Think Road Warrior/scavenger society. Prior to that, there's not going to be much use for a glorified pepperbox revolver.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279287 - 02/01/16 06:54 PM Re: One Rifle, 23 Calibers: Scavenger 6 at SHOT Show 2 [Re: Bingley]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I don't understand this "scavenge for ammo" idea. I hear people talk about it, but I don't understand it. Where do they expect to "scavenge" in a short-term survival situation? The shady spot under the ammo tree? The local gun store? Wal-Mart?

Part of the appeal if for those who think "The Walking Dead" is a real scenario and that it makes sense to be as versatile as possible while scavenging. However, for the most part these multi-ammo adapters are single shot which means constant reloading, not nearly the advantage it would be made out as.

#279288 - 02/01/16 07:26 PM Re: One Rifle, 23 Calibers: Scavenger 6 at SHOT Show 2 [Re: Roarmeister]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, much more useful imo is to have firearms in calibers you are most likely to find while scavenging for "stuff". Which calibers to folks tend to buy in bulk? Oh gee, how about ammo designed by and supplied to the military, I used to buy that stuff by the case, but that was when I allowed myself a lot of more trigger-time than I have time for now. I've still got a case of 9mm ball on the shelf and a lot of .38 Special -- much less in other handgun calibers.

If I had a rifle in.5.56 NATO and another in .308 Win I'd stand a chance of finding ammo to shoot. 5.56 will safely fire its .223 Win counterpart and .308 will safely shoot its 7.62 NATO counterpart. 1:9 twist in the 5.56 and 1:10 twist in the .308 and you should have a fairly accurate set-up across a range of bullet weights.

That's just my opinion, YMMV.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 600 Guests and 157 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.