Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#278815 - 01/14/16 10:51 PM Re: Suggestions: pocket / EDC Knife sharpener? [Re: freeballer]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Oops, answered in the old thread. But my answer is more appropriate here I think.

I'm using this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251813416755 in my knife's handle (see the 3D printing thread) with the pen shell removed. Ultra compact! This one http://www.ebay.com/itm/262137581988 is my pocket EDC. They are good enough for maintaining the edge as well as for fixing it if broken. It's essentially a diamond file which has much more uses than just a knife sharpener (especially the conic one). Some knife sharpening skills are strongly advised, it's not a self-guiding type.

If you browse eBay you can find them even cheaper.

#278816 - 01/15/16 12:48 AM Re: Suggestions: pocket / EDC Knife sharpener? [Re: Alex]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I bought this one back in summer 2012. I'm thinking maybe one of these days I'll get around to actually using it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVN...ailpage_o06_s00

For all the use I've made of mine, I could have gotten by significantly cheaper with one of those from eBay that Alex recommended. At the time I guess I was thinking I might need to sharpen a knife on the trail sometime. But I've never even remotely needed to do that. So I guess this sharpener is a high quality brass handled paperweight for me. But it's a nice paperweight. I keep it in my bug out bag. That bug out bag is a pretty nice paper weight in-and-of-itself too. Maybe I'll bug out someday (I'm still waiting for those zombies to show up!) But at least I can sharpen my knife while on the lam. blush

#278818 - 01/15/16 04:08 AM Re: Suggestions: pocket / EDC Knife sharpener? [Re: haertig]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I did use mine actually "in the field" twice to work on knives, once I needed to precise cut some plastic sheeting but found the tip of my LM squirt too dull for a smooth job; another time I broke the very tip of my folder and spent some spare time filing out the new one (not that I was really needing it right away, but for an aesthetic reasons). But I can recall much more cases of using it as a metal and glass file.

#278822 - 01/15/16 09:14 AM Re: Suggestions: pocket / EDC Knife sharpener? [Re: freeballer]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I would add another recommendation for the Fällkniven DC3 or DC4. Either model works great as a combo stone. The diamond side is high quality and lasts a long time (low-cost diamond sharpeners tend to have a pretty short service life). The ceramic side is fine enough to give the edge that smooth, shaving sharp final polish.

I own a bunch of sharpening tools, stones, jigs and power tools (including a belt grinder) but I keep coming back to the DC3 all the time - it just works really well and it's so versatile it can be used on anything from a knife to an axe or machete.

#278829 - 01/15/16 06:14 PM Re: Suggestions: pocket / EDC Knife sharpener? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I use a Gerber Pocket Sharpener. It's not the best but it works for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-04307-Pocket-Sharpener/dp/B0001WOTEU

My Gerber sharpener is still working great. I also picked up a little Rapala 2-stage sharpener, that's very similar to my Gerber one. They were both under $5 and work great for touch-ups in the field.

http://www.rapala.com/rapala/knives/knif...p-fine/SH2.html

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#278832 - 01/15/16 09:06 PM Re: Suggestions: pocket / EDC Knife sharpener? [Re: bacpacjac]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have got a ton of these (at least a half dozen or more):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/886556/gerber-pocket-sharpener-ceramic

Never actually used one. I have no idea if they work well or not. I add them to my orders from Midway because they are one of the cheapests item they have with free shipping. So when I add one to my regular order that normally would have, say, $15 shipping charge, the addition of this item lowers the overall shipping charge to something like $5. So I save $10 by adding a $2.99 item, for a net savings of $7. Can't beat that. I'll bet Midway is wondering why I order so many knife sharpeners! They're all sitting in my man-cave, still in their packaging. I could probably return them for a refund to increase my savings, but that would be unethical in my mind, so I just keep them. I guess I could use them for stocking stuffers at Christmas (but I think everyone in my family already has a handful of 'em!)

#278838 - 01/16/16 02:54 AM Re: Suggestions: pocket / EDC Knife sharpener? [Re: haertig]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The ceramic side is good for maintaining an edge, but the carbide side will take a lot of steel off of you knife.

#278839 - 01/16/16 05:15 AM Re: Suggestions: pocket / EDC Knife sharpener? [Re: gonewiththewind]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Montanero
The ceramic side is good for maintaining an edge, but the carbide side will take a lot of steel off of you knife.

Both sides are ceramic smile
both are fixed at 18 degrees per side or 36 degrees inclusive

For the same price or cheaper you can buy a sharpening stone at your local asian grocery store

#278842 - 01/16/16 04:51 PM Re: Suggestions: pocket / EDC Knife sharpener? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
if you use too much pressure, it wears one or both rods, which then produces a horribly shaped edge, if it can produce one at all. so use it for touching-up, not for a making an edge on a very dull blade.

#278843 - 01/16/16 05:08 PM Re: Suggestions: pocket / EDC Knife sharpener? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Originally Posted By: Montanero

Both sides are ceramic smile

Actually no, those are small diamond rods, one pair coarse and one pair fine.

I have one of those Gerber pocket sharpeners, it's ok for what it is but I don't use it much. It only really works for smaller, thinner blades sharpened with a secondary bevel. Like Montanero said, the coarse side is too coarse and removes material too quickly, so it's a bit difficult to control. The fine side isn't all that fine either, less than ideal even for a quick touch up if you want a proper hair popping edge.

Also, Wileycoyote is right, the diamond rods wear our pretty quickly if any serious pressure is applied at sharpening. But realistically, that's to be expected from a $5 product.

Personally, I prefer a combo stone instead, followed by stropping on a leather belt with a polishing compound. You can get much better results with freehand sharpening. It's a skill well worth mastering IMHO. You can use a combo stone to sharpen just about any kind of blade, even an axe or machete. Fixed angle pocket sharpeners and jigs are not particularly versatile and don't work at all for scandi grinds, which could be a problem for many people.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.