Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#278274 - 12/29/15 02:04 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Quite the choice for a hike!

I am probably one of the few on this forum that has hiked the WCT and that was about 15 years ago. Even though we went near the end of June, unfortunately for us, it was cold, wet and miserable and we almost bailed a couple of times. I have no desire to do the trail again as I am not fond of humid rain forest hiking for days on end, even if the scenery and experience is outstanding of which the WCT is known for.

Others have already given you general advise that can apply to most trails but there are many specifics to the WCT that you may already have found in your research. In your research, you will probably have read that the WCT can be a tough and demanding trail, both physically and mentally so don't take this lightly. Be prepared for rain, wind, fog, mud, high humidity (you will never feel dry), blisters and sore backs.

On the flip side, the trail can be a real scenic and enjoyable trip when the weather cooperates. Either way, if you complete the trip (many people fail) you will have a lifetime of memories and photos so take a good quality camera (not a cell phone) with extra batteries and SD cards if applicable.

It should go without saying, but I will say it anyway. You need to be in great hiking condition. This means, your body is used to carrying a pack for hours and days on end. Of course, the same goes for your feet. There is a big difference between good general walking condition and good hiking conditioned feet. Also waterproof and breathable boots are a must. You don't need big mountaineer style boots but a good mid style hiking boot will suffice. Also quick drying, synthetic clothing is a must and a light waterproof/breathable jacket will make a big difference in comfort level.

Some general links:

Parks Canada - Pacific Rim Preserve website Note that one of the pdf links has a list of rules that must be followed and Parks Canada will readily enforce if they see or hear of anyone abusing the rules.

Google search of Clubtread.com and west coast trail specific info. Clubtread is a local forum that has years of trail and hiking reports, especially from the southwestern BC and Vancouver Island areas. This is without a doubt, the best place for any up to date info. I also happen to hang out there a lot.

West Coast Trail Wikipedia page

Thanks so much, John. I thought maybe you might have some personal experience with this one. I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom.

This will be my trip of a lifetime. It's been on my bucket list for a long time and it'll be a great 50th birthday present for me. wink It's a gnarly route, and might be totally miserable, but we intend to be well-prepared for the potential misery. Two years of training and planning seems reasonable.

My thoughts on clothing and footwear mimic yours. Synthetic all the way, me thinks. I am a fan of wool, and it's worth it's weight in gold in my neck of the wood, but it's too heavy for this trek. A merino layer for bed will probably make the cut, but I'm on the hunt of new clothing.

A lot of hikers chose lighter weight shoes but I prefer a mid style boot. (My ankles aren't as young as they used to be.) I'm currently using a pair of Merrel mids and love them, but they're about ready to be replaced but they don't make this model anymore. Does anyone have a favourite they can suggest?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#278275 - 12/29/15 02:05 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i just looked thru the trails web site and it sounds like a major adventure,cable cars!!!???
all i can think of at this point is too have a small Gaz lamp along for heat.i know on canoe trips when i have got cool and damp,ok wet,after a day on the lakes and carrys that getting into my MSR shelter with a lamp on low warmed me fast.

Thanks canoedogs! Much appreciated!

#278276 - 12/29/15 02:10 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great advice, hikermor. Thanks! My bike is going to get a good tune-up this winter and she'll be good to go in the Spring!

#278277 - 12/29/15 02:12 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: Jolt]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jolt
Sounds like a great trip! As far as gear goes, have you considered a quilt instead of a sleeping bag? The insulation under you gets compressed anyway, so the theory is that you might as well eliminate that to save weight. There are quite a few small manufacturers of backpacking quilts, and none of them are cheap, but check out Enlightened Equipment. They make both down and synthetic insulated quilts, and for the wet environment you will be in I would probably go synthetic (it's also much less expensive) even though it is heavier and bulkier. Actually, these quilts are made to order--you get to pick the temperature rating, length (nice for a short person like me), width and colors! Thinking about places to get gear less expensively once you know what you want, check out www.geartrade.com and of course Ebay. As far as shoes go, personal preference plays a big role--some people (and I am one of them) prefer to hike in trail running shoes rather than heavy boots…with waterproof boots your feet will probably still be wet from sweat, and lighter lower-cut shoes help you be more nimble. Wool socks are good since they lose less insulating value when they get wet.

Great ideas, Jolt. Thanks! I'll definitely look into quilts. I'm a mid-style boot wearer, so I'm on the hunt for a new, lighter pair. I need a new pair anyway so it's the perfect time to test some new ones!

Socks for the win! Always!! laugh

#278280 - 12/29/15 03:38 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: Jolt]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
With that thought in mind, rather than a quilt, consider one of the Big Agnes sleeping bags.
Quote:
...Underside insulation has been eliminated and replaced with a sleeve for a Big Agnes 20 in. wide rectangular pad (sold separately)...

If the ground is as damp as I have experienced in the WA & OR Cascades, you will definitely want a pad. With the Big Agnes set-up, you won't wander off the pad.

#278286 - 12/29/15 04:26 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: Russ]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Russ
With that thought in mind, rather than a quilt, consider one of the Big Agnes sleeping bags.
Quote:
...Underside insulation has been eliminated and replaced with a sleeve for a Big Agnes 20 in. wide rectangular pad (sold separately)...

If the ground is as damp as I have experienced in the WA & OR Cascades, you will definitely want a pad. With the Big Agnes set-up, you won't wander off the pad.

Many if not most of the quilts have a strap that can be used to attach them to the pad, preventing the sliding-off issue you describe.

#278292 - 12/29/15 05:43 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: Jolt
Sounds like a great trip! As far as gear goes, have you considered a quilt instead of a sleeping bag? The insulation under you gets compressed anyway, so the theory is that you might as well eliminate that to save weight. There are quite a few small manufacturers of backpacking quilts, and none of them are cheap, but check out Enlightened Equipment. They make both down and synthetic insulated quilts, and for the wet environment you will be in I would probably go synthetic (it's also much less expensive) even though it is heavier and bulkier. Actually, these quilts are made to order--you get to pick the temperature rating, length (nice for a short person like me), width and colors! Thinking about places to get gear less expensively once you know what you want, check out www.geartrade.com and of course Ebay. As far as shoes go, personal preference plays a big role--some people (and I am one of them) prefer to hike in trail running shoes rather than heavy boots…with waterproof boots your feet will probably still be wet from sweat, and lighter lower-cut shoes help you be more nimble. Wool socks are good since they lose less insulating value when they get wet.

Great ideas, Jolt. Thanks! I'll definitely look into quilts. I'm a mid-style boot wearer, so I'm on the hunt for a new, lighter pair. I need a new pair anyway so it's the perfect time to test some new ones!

Socks for the win! Always!! laugh

Again, waterproof and breathable boots are key. The WCT is not a typical developed trail that some may think it is and there will plenty of wet and muddy sections along with some river crossings and you will thank yourself for having the proper boots that shed water but also dry quicker if you are wading through deeper water. I forgot to mention in my 1st post that having a set of gaiters will help a lot to keep mud and moisture off your lower legs. The MEC nylon gaiter would suffice for this trip but make sure you have extra under arch straps for them. These straps are easy to make ahead of time so don't wait until you are on the trail to stop and make a new one.

As for sleeping, a synthetic sleeping bag that is rated down to at least 32F is required as the night time temps on the west coast of the Island in May can drop down to the low single digits. Couple this with the fact that the Parks Canada strongly discourages forest camping and specifies that tents and sleeping be done on the beaches. These beaches get a lot of wind straight off the ocean so a good quality tent and a tent fly is required. The good news though is that early mornings and evenings are the low wind times but don't count on it though as the wind can blow nonstop for days on end.

Also bring a stove as the only wood you can burn is beach driftwood and it is usually wet that time of year and you don't want to spend time getting a fire started and maintaining it. Believe me, it gets very old after a couple of long days of hiking.

John Lubbock

#278296 - 12/29/15 06:43 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Big Agnes gear seems very popular with big trail thru-hikers. I'm definitely looking into them. They're spendy but a good big ticket item that will last usually is.

#278317 - 12/30/15 05:33 AM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
" Couple this with the fact that the Parks Canada strongly discourages forest camping and specifies that tents and sleeping be done on the beaches."

I haven't camped on this trail, but have in the WA Olympics where most beaches are close to the surf and the water full of logs that can be tossed all the way up the beach. Are the beaches not hazardous for sneaker waves and caber tossing?

I can see why it would be more Leave No Trace to camp on a beach.

Here is some more reading.

http://backpackinglight.com/search/?q=west+coast+trail

Edited by clearwater (12/30/15 05:40 AM)

#278327 - 12/30/15 05:44 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
[quote=clearwater]" Are the beaches not hazardous for sneaker waves and caber tossing?

I can see why it would be more Leave No Trace to camp on a beach.

[/quote ] There is a similar requirement for beach camping in Channel Islands NP (Santa Rosa Island), although there is no caber tossing hazard. Pay close attention to the tide tables....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.