Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#278411 - 01/02/16 03:02 AM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I used a down bag for years as a mountain climber. It was always great, very warm, and certainly did "scrunch down" into a compact volume. I was always super careful to keep that bag dry. Double wrap in plastic trash bags!!

good sleep is VERY important in the wilderness. and you won't get that if you are tossing and turning because you are cold. buy a warm bag!! can be down or synthetic .. but go warm!!

#278412 - 01/02/16 06:05 AM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
I think there may be two different things being discussed; first, bags made with waterproof/resistant shell fabric, and second, bags with the down filling itself treated to be water resistant.

See, e.g. http://www.mountaingear.com/themountainblog/2013/06/the-scoop-on-waterproof-down/

#278439 - 01/03/16 01:49 AM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Water resistant down-

"We went the second week of sheep season, which as it turned out was a less that optimum choice, and we caught 6 straight days of rain, cloud, and fog. That made for some pretty lousy hunting, but it did however, make the perfect field test for finding the limits of waterproof down.

Day 1 and 2 consisted of intermittent drizzle and fog. The temp hovered between cold and dang cold, so the jacket got used a lot.

As advertised, the down held up to the sweat and 100% humidity amazingly well. I was impressed.

Day 3 it settled down into a steady cold rain that didn't quit. If you've ever hunted in the rain for days in a row, you know that EVERYTHING eventually gets wet. Water runs down your sleeves when you glass, gets down your neck, soaks the hem of your jacket when you bend over, and of course you get to sweat in raingear all day. Despite babying it to the best of my abilities, this kind of non-stop sogginess was the death of even the waterproof down, and by the end of the day sleeves and fringes of the jacket were soaked and useless. Although the body still had some loft, the jacket had lost a large percentage of it's insulation capabilities. If I had been relying on this as a critical layer, I would have been screwed at this point."

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?10158-quot-Water-Resistant-quot-Down-tested-to-failure

#278449 - 01/03/16 04:49 PM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
That is indeed useful information, but in all fairness, finding that a garment will eventually be wetted through while in use in constant rain is not representative of the way in which a down sleeping bag is likely to be used.

I did have an interesting night during which I slept out in a down bag (standard untreated down and nylon) inside a bivvy bag during a night of alternating rain, fog, and snow. I sensed that the loft of the bag was decreasing, although dawn arrived before it got to be really bad. My take on the situation was that I would have been warmer if the temperatures were cold enough that I only would have experienced snow.

In cold, rainy conditions I really like synthetic fleece for outerwear, especially underneath a shell garment. I can then anticipate a warm night in my dry bag, waiting for me back in camp.

#278454 - 01/03/16 06:10 PM Re: sleeping bag options for backpacking? [Re: Mark_F]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Or wool. Heavier, but warm when wet and durable. I am a fan of wool sweaters, socks, and long underwear in the outdoors. I love my wool overcoat when in an urban setting. My overcoat stood up to subzero temperatures for several hours a few years ago, walking around a city. My feet suffered, but the rest of me was tolerably warm.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 233 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.