Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#278392 - 01/01/16 03:04 AM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The WCT has a reputation for being a tough, wet, sometimes miserable slog through incredibly rugged and beautiful country. IIRC it was built as a last-chance exit for sailors wrecked on that part of the cost, and the whole length is "shipwreck alley."

Have you already applied for permits? It's now internationally famous. Last time I checked, the masochists of the world were lined up hip deep to hike the trail, and Parks Canada had instituted a lottery system.

Consider this: Juan de Fuca Provincial Park runs on the northern west coast of Vancouver Is. It's magnificent, rugged, and considerably more accessible in places -- I have done dayhikes in some sections. It might give you a good place to test your planning, gear and mettle. I found out rather quickly that my Rocky Mountain backpacking experience didn't amount to jack when it came to operating in coastal rain forest.

#278395 - 01/01/16 03:48 AM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Nope, never did the trail myself. But I did some kayaking and mountain hiking in the area; and I know a few people who have done the trail. One was a fellow about the same age as myself with his son - they did the trail in 7 days although I heard that allowing 10 days made more sense. It's nickname is the Wet Coast Trail due to the rains on the shoulder seasons - it should be dryer in July than May.

I may be in the area around April (Victoria actually) for visiting family.

#278400 - 01/01/16 10:33 AM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I know a few tricks regarding saving space and weight on toiletries. First, I need to know what you want or plan to bring.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278407 - 01/01/16 08:00 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: bacpacjac]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Bacpacjac,

I haven't hiked that route, but I spent my formative years (in the outdoor sense) in Oregon and Washington. For the last three decades I've lived in Alaska, and have spent a lot of time hiking, camping, and sea kayaking in coastal areas. I'll give you my thoughts on coastal camping. First off, assume you and all your gear will get thoroughly wet. Maybe you will get lucky and have good weather, but assume the worst, plan for it, and things can only get better!

I find when I'm hiking in the rain I'm better off just getting wet and not worrying about it. I find wet pants, or especially rain pants over wet pants to be be very constricting and tiring. When carrying a big pack I'm usually putting out a lot of heat and don't have a problem staying warm while hiking. Hence, unless it is very cold, I will often hike in just shorts and a light synthetic top. If it is windy I might add a goretex top, with front zip and pit zips open. I keep my other clothes dry until I stop in shelter. Do have good raingear however, for when you are hanging around camp, or when the weather gets really severe.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I do like to wear a good rain hat while hiking in these conditions. I like the Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero. It keeps the rain off my glasses and somewhat keeps it from running down my neck! The only time the Seattle Sombrero doesn't work well is when it is really windy (the brim flops around too much). So I also usually carry a simple baseball hat, which doesn't keeps the rain off so well but works better in the wind.

Don't assume your pack will keep stuff dry. Put all important stuff (sleeping gear, extra clothes, etc) in waterproof bags inside your pack. There are some new waterproof stuff sacks (silnylon and other miracle material) that are very light weight and very effective. A cheaper but still effective method is to use plastic garbage bags.

Besides a good tent, consider carrying a small lightweight tarp (silnylon or similar). You can use this to rig a quick small shelter to eat lunch under while hiking, and for cooking outside your tent. You can also rig the tarp to make sort of a porch at the entrance to your tent. This gives you a place to get out of the rain and take off your wet gear before getting into the tent, which helps to keep the inside of the tent much dryer.

Extended wet periods in coastal areas are often due to a whole series of weather fronts passing through, one after another. In this kind of a pattern your gear will get damper and damper, not matter how careful you are. The good news is that often there are short breaks with even a bit of sunshine between fronts. These breaks may last from a few minutes to a couple of hours. Take advantage of them to dry your gear. Keep a length of cord handy to rig an improvised clothes line. When the sun comes out, stop, take a break, and hang up wet gear. Even a few minutes of sunshine helps to dry stuff.

I've heard that coastal route is a really beautiful trip. Have fun, and don't let a little dampness get you down!

Edited by AKSAR (01/01/16 11:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Forgot to mention a rain hat

#278408 - 01/01/16 08:15 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: AKSAR]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That is a hell of an informative bunch of info!!

#278420 - 01/02/16 02:38 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I second AKSAR's practice of wearing shorts when hiking in the rain. Skin dries much faster than any fabric. It is a really good idea to have some dry items reserved for camp. Just let wet gear stay wet for the duration.

This thread has new found relevance for me. I will be spending a week on Santa Rosa Island, and there is significant rain in the forecast. Looks like the "Wet Coast" will include SoCal finally (Thank heaven!)

#278421 - 01/02/16 02:52 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Here's hoping Hikermor gets very wet on Santa Rosa Island wink Snow pack in the Sierra Mountains is above "normal" but not what is needed to break the drought. Hopefully the rain (and snow) keep coming.

#278424 - 01/02/16 02:58 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I just checked the forecast. Rainfall probability the morning of our departure is 100%. When I am slogging around SRI, cold, wet, and miserable, I will rejoice in knowing that I am taking one for the team.

Let's build that snow pack!

#278430 - 01/02/16 06:28 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I second AKSAR's practice of wearing shorts when hiking in the rain. Skin dries much faster than any fabric. It is a really good idea to have some dry items reserved for camp. Just let wet gear stay wet for the duration.

This thread has new found relevance for me. I will be spending a week on Santa Rosa Island, and there is significant rain in the forecast. Looks like the "Wet Coast" will include SoCal finally (Thank heaven!)
As an alternative to hiking in shorts, some people like to wear tights. As hikermor says, just let the wet gear stay wet. Rig that small tarp above your tent entrance, and there out of the rain you can change into dry clothes (which have been kept safe in a dry bag) before entering your tent.

One aspect of NW coastal forests I forgot to mention is that even in heavy rains, one can often find dry spots under the big conifers. These are good places to stop out of the rain to take a break, brew up some tea, have lunch, etc. This may not be an option for hikermor in SoCal however, with the meager shrubs they call "trees" down there. wink

Edited by AKSAR (01/02/16 06:32 PM)

#278431 - 01/02/16 06:59 PM Re: Prepping for Pacific Coast Trail [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
This may not be an option for hikermor in SoCal however, with the meager shrubs they call "trees" down there. wink

"Meager?!!" You should know that SRI is home to the only stand of Torrey pines (Pinus torreyana) outside San Diego. Some of them tower to heights of at least 25-30 feet (8-10 meters)...

We do have our share of knee high bushes (wanna be trees) which is why I am digging out tall gaiters that I haven't used in years...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.