The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#278245 - 12/28/15 03:40 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Teslinhiker ...

I think that you are the person who would need a private airplane. Or maybe a cave with separate air supply (filtered) and a Dolby sound system.

I can't imagine that Canada would do too well. Lets imagine the type of scenario that was described in those documents that you mentioned. You know that the Russians had similar plans ... so many major US cities would be hit by very big bombs (old Soviet nuclear attack).

Looking at Canada geographically, it is sandwiched into a location that is undesirable - to say the least. You would have many radiation hot spots directly south of you. And also a huge amount of atmospheric fallout that would circulate on the wind from Russia. Not good. There won't be anything pristine in Canada.

Got any friends with twin-engine airplanes??
Hahahahhaahahahaha

#278246 - 12/28/15 04:10 PM Re: WW III [Re: Pete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There is an interesting interview by a former member of the Reagan administration (Former Assistant Treasury Secretary) that is germane to this discussion. The interview is for background but probably not for further discussion in this forum. Paul Craig Roberts interview.

PCR is fairly outspoken and his candid nature may violate the terms of this site. If posting the link above is a concern then the mods can simply delete this post.

#278249 - 12/28/15 05:04 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
PCR's comments are fairly political. Can't we return to discussions of the perfect blade steel to possess during the coming disaster?

#278250 - 12/28/15 05:39 PM Re: WW III [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I know not what blade steel is best for World War III, but for World War IV Obsidian is highly recommended (my apologies to Albert Einstein).

Quote:
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

#278251 - 12/28/15 07:00 PM Re: WW III [Re: Pete]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Pete

I think that you are the person who would need a private airplane. Or maybe a cave with separate air supply (filtered) and a Dolby sound system.

I can't imagine that Canada would do too well. Lets imagine the type of scenario that was described in those documents that you mentioned. You know that the Russians had similar plans ... so many major US cities would be hit by very big bombs (old Soviet nuclear attack).

Looking at Canada geographically, it is sandwiched into a location that is undesirable - to say the least. You would have many radiation hot spots directly south of you. And also a huge amount of atmospheric fallout that would circulate on the wind from Russia. Not good. There won't be anything pristine in Canada.

Widespread nuclear threats are not on my radar so I don't think too much at all into any if/or/and related scenarios.

Sorry no access to an aircraft.

In general though, our area is fraught with evac challenges. There are mountain ranges to the immediate north and east, the USA border to the south and the Pacific Ocean to the immediate west. Over the years, there have been a few rare times, especially in winter where all highways except south have been closed for various reasons and we have been cut off from the rest of Canada via highway. Depending on time of year, if there was ever a major evac required here, it would not be pleasant to say the least as on a good day, our population is already straining the limits of our limited and hemmed in highway system.

John Lubbock

#278266 - 12/29/15 04:22 AM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

" know not what blade steel is best for World War III, but for World War IV Obsidian is highly recommended "

well, if you're going to challenge me to get semi-serious about this topic.

what creatures are likely to be surviving after WWIII? On land, I'd say its probably rats and crows. The scavengers and the carrion feeders. Rats are great survivors and will eat almost anything. Crows are pretty smart.

These would be the creatures that you would have to live on. And you probably would do just fine with a good slingshot, a crossbow, or an airgun.

It seems to me that an airgun with moderate power (doesn't require high power) would be more than adequate. And it's a very sensible choice - it could be re-pumped and fired for a long, long time.

#278269 - 12/29/15 05:54 AM Re: WW III [Re: Pete]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

It seems to me that an airgun with moderate power (doesn't require high power) would be more than adequate. And it's a very sensible choice - it could be re-pumped and fired for a long, long time.

I have a Walther LGV in .22 with a Nikon Pro Staff Target EFR 3-9x40 AO Rifle Scope. Shoots around 2 MOA @ 25 meters, which isn't too bad for a springer. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ8vz2jAdSk

#278273 - 12/29/15 01:56 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I'll mention a couple of skill sets you inlanders might not be aware of ... how to throw a cast net...even a long handled dip net for blue crabs... and how to snatch schooled fish by casting a large treble hook beyond and ripping it through the school to foul hook them... a couple of hundred packs of 2/O hooks might be a good bartering item... you can't eat gold for a long period of time... couple of 500rd bricks of .22lr a good idea also ... you may want to choose your hobbies wisely...that idea led me to practical shooting 35 year ago... regards

no one made a comment on nuclear winter....

#278278 - 12/29/15 02:53 PM Re: WW III [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Russ
I know not what blade steel is best for World War III, but for World War IV Obsidian is highly recommended

Oh goody! Now we can talk about knappable stone,something that I as an archaeologist know something about...Obsidian, or volcanic glass,is fairly rare, but the coming unpleasantness will produce lots of its nuclear equivalent, fused glass. Just avoid any of the stuff that glows in the dark...

Obsidian produces extremely sharp edges, but they are very fragile, so there will be a trade quickly developed in varieties of chert and flint (like Alibates Flint in Texas) that were widely distributed prehistorically and that produce somewhat more durable edges.

When WWIV comes, one does want to be caught knapping....

#278279 - 12/29/15 03:26 PM Re: WW III [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

smile I have one obsidian (blackish, opaque, glass-like material) knife with an antler handle held together with some tar like substance -- supposedly what was used back in the days before my grandparents. The blade is short, but I have no doubt it will cut.
Similar to the jpeg below but without the sheath:

Image from eBay. Quite a few available there.

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.