Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277580 - 11/17/15 07:59 PM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
The statement "Je suis partie français et je suis en accord avec la France." is political? confused

Well, trying to piece together the words that I don't understand, for all I know, it says "Jesus and Francis are hosting a party in their Honda Accord in France". I don't speak French. But my guess is that it's a statement indicating support for France, given the context of recent events. Very appropriate, not political.

#277581 - 11/17/15 08:31 PM Re: France [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: haertig
Well, trying to piece together the words that I don't understand, for all I know, it says "Jesus and Francis are hosting a party in their Honda Accord in France". I don't speak French. But my guess is that it's a statement indicating support for France, given the context of recent events. Very appropriate, not political.

It says, "I'm part French and I stand with France."

Jeanette Isabelle

#277582 - 11/17/15 09:16 PM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Expressions of support for the victims is not political speech within the meaning of the rules here.

chaosmagnet

#277583 - 11/17/15 09:34 PM Re: France [Re: chaosmagnet]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Expressions of support for the victims is not political speech within the meaning of the rules here.

chaosmagnet

However this is no topic to discuss then.

#277585 - 11/17/15 11:54 PM Re: France [Re: clearwater]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: clearwater
However this is no topic to discuss then.

That is the opposite of what I meant.

chaosmagnet

#277587 - 11/18/15 12:45 AM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Jesus and Francis are having a party in their Honda Accord? How come Francis got invited and I didn't? Pourquoi? Pourquoi?!!

I might go to Paris soon for tourism. Other than the things that have already been said in this forum, what else can I do to improve my safety? I plan to go to some public places, good restaurants, and somehow get by on my very limited French.

To be frank, I don't feel particularly worried -- usually after a terrorist incident, the police intensifies surveillance, and that means it's probably safer. It'll probably be okay.

Thanks to the moderators for keeping peace here and for keeping us on track! Much appreciated!

#277588 - 11/18/15 01:41 AM Re: France [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Jesus and Francis are having a party in their Honda Accord? How come Francis got invited and I didn't? Pourquoi? Pourquoi?!!

Il y avait un cent vingt tous dans un Accord.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277589 - 11/18/15 02:00 AM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
You French speakers are too good. The only thing I remember from my high school German is: Wo ist die toilette?

But that's a very handy thing to know how to say! My daughter speaks French quite well. Classes for three years in highschool (also three years of Latin), then four years in college. She wants to go to France to be able to speak with those who speak it as their native tongue. I would encourage her to go - France looks like a beautiful place, and we can't let a few terrorists ruin things for people.

#277590 - 11/18/15 02:11 AM Re: France [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
You French speakers are too good. The only thing I remember from my high school German is: Wo ist die toilette?

But that's a very handy thing to know how to say! My daughter speaks French quite well. Classes for three years in highschool (also three years of Latin), then four years in college. She wants to go to France to be able to speak with those who speak it as their native tongue.

Dad is French so French was spoken in the house until he died.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277591 - 11/18/15 02:17 AM Re: France [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I think it is completely appropriate to express sympathy and support for the victims of the Paris attacks. That is a very human expression, it is not political.

Prayers for all of the families and friends who are affected.

I think that these attacks arrive with so much surprise, it is very difficult to use any type of intuition. The terrorists use "surprise attack" for that reason. a well-planned attack that gains the element of surprise will always be horribly effective.

I did notice that from the personal accounts inside the theatre ... many concert-goers were "frozen in shock". it is that weird psychological shock that happens when people see things that are completely outside their experience. The survivors literally had to climb over 'frozen people' to escape the scene. Those that did MOVE had a better chance of survival. But there is no easy answer for this ... that tendency to freeze is deeply ingrained into our subconcscious and it takes a lot of willpower to "un-freeze your body" and get moving.

Pete

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 542 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.