Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#277400 - 10/31/15 04:18 PM Re: What Knife Is Legal (Internatinonal Edition) [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, which is why I wouldn't go back now without serious firepower. Of course, then it was different, as we literally did carry around a policeman (aka armed and well trained security personnel) with us wherever we went. They had guns, and they used them with extreme prejudice when it was needed. So the knife was really just a security blanket, and not a great one. But hey, you do what you can with what you got.

These days, discretion is better than going in hot. Not having to go anywhere I don't want to anymore is, um, refreshing? Well, except for the hospital. I will never get comfortable going into those death zones. I always felt people go to the hospital to die, as it happens there so often. Nice folks, but modern medicine still isn't very far removed from medieval torture. The only big difference is anesthetic.

Sounds like the start of another thread to me. Hmm.....

Edited by benjammin (10/31/15 04:19 PM)

#277405 - 10/31/15 10:25 PM Re: What Knife Is Legal (Internatinonal Edition) [Re: Desperado]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Desperado
None of the knives will really be for self defense. If things get that bad, I lost already.

I just want a pocket knife for edc, and something in my bag for the unexpected at work.

Since I am in telecom, (even as a project manager) everyone has the ubiquitous Klein Splicer Kit.

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/cable-splicers-knives/cable-splicers-kit-free-fall-snip

So this and a SAK farmer may have to be it. I am glad I asked. I assumed everyone was allowed a lock blade as they are safer than non-locking.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Oh, and No Mexico at all.

IMHo you would do well to check the current legislation whenever you go to a different country. There is a fair bit of info available online, you can already find some useful stuff here to get you started:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation

Remember though that laws do change, and what may or may not be acceptable to carry is very often left to the interpretation of law enforcement and judges.

In my experience, a regular non-locking SAK or multitool is generally considered OK in most places, particularly if carried in a purse or backpack. Whenever in doubt, avoid any sort of one-hand opening tactical folders and do not wear a folder clipped to your pocket or anywhere else where it's easily visible.

As a tourist or foreign visitor you may expect the local authorities to give you the benefit of doubt most of the time. Being a foreigner on the road does give you a pretty good excuse for carrying a small utility knife, more so because of your line of work. Just don't display a knife in public or carry it to any public events where rowdy behavior might be reasonably expected (partying, football matches etc.).

#277407 - 10/31/15 11:07 PM Re: What Knife Is Legal (Internatinonal Edition) [Re: Desperado]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

In most cases there is a general rule, that allows a police officer to confiscate a knife, if the knife is inappropriate in the given situation.

That would be the primarily reason to get in to trouble. In the Netherlands; No 'automatic', 'gravity', double edged, 'stiletto's' and there is a maxium lenght, depending on the width of the blade.

#277418 - 11/01/15 10:16 PM Re: What Knife Is Legal (Internatinonal Edition) [Re: adam2]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: adam2
Here in the UK, the carrying of ANY offensive weapon (not just a knife)is prohibited unless one has a good reason.

In the past, the carrying of a small folding pocket knife with a non locking blade of less than a certain size was permitted, but this is no longer the case.

A Swiss Army knife USED to be permitted, but is now regarded as an offensive weapon unless one has a good reason to carry it.

adam2, I don't what to derail the thread or get in to politics but where do you get that info?

I also live in the UK and have actually checked what is written in the law and what I have seen written in the law books is more than a little different to what you describe.

#277526 - 11/15/15 02:36 AM Re: What Knife Is Legal (Internatinonal Edition) [Re: Desperado]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Not quite sure what adam2 is referring to.

It is not illegal to can carry non-locking folder with blade less than 3" in a public place.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 256 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.