Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#277207 - 10/22/15 05:11 AM Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight [Re: Tom_L]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Unless you do plan to use it as a weapon (perhaps because you can carry it in non-permissive environments)then I can't fathom why larger and heavier would be a good thing. Unless it has to be an impact weapon I would rather have a 3 x CR123A light.

#277210 - 10/22/15 12:09 PM Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There evidently are two flavors of "tactical" light - the flashlight as baton and the super bright (1000+ lumens)light which will confuse and disorient your opponent. This latter often sports a dazzle function.

Neither is as good as the real thing. LAPD specifically disallows the use of a light as a baton....

Edited by hikermor (10/22/15 12:09 PM)

#277259 - 10/23/15 11:43 PM Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight [Re: Tom_L]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I'm quite happy with my Blackshadow Terminator, I use it as a portable floodlight for scenes and on the river, and while it's optimized for flood it's an outstanding thrower by virtue of it's sheer output.

The Thrunite TN series (I can't remember but one is optimized for throw, the other for flood) are also very well received if you're looking to spend a little more.

#277262 - 10/24/15 03:19 PM Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight [Re: Tom_L]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I certainly do not need another flashlight (plenty of Surefires and Fenix), but yesterday I ordered LL Bean's new "retro" LED flashlight. Only 200 lumens, but once upon a time that was pretty good.

Takes two "D" batteries, seven hour runtime. Metal body.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88820?feat=flashlight-SR0&page=retro-led-flashlight

A 1950s-style, metal-bodied flashlight with a modern 200-lumen LED bulb.

Vintage style features a rugged metal body

Bright LED bulb never needs replacing

Runs up to 7 hours on two D batteries, not included

This retro flashlight looks just like the one your grandfather used. It features the modern technology of a superbright LED bulb that will light your way for thousands of hours. Use it at camp, in the tent or as a backup light at home. Vintage style features a rugged metal body. Easy-to-use power button. Runs up to 7 hours on two D batteries, not included. Imported.

Dimensions 8" x 1.5" diam.

#277263 - 10/24/15 04:37 PM Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
200 lumens is still 200 lumens and is a light source that is perfectly adequate for most tasks. The lumens race is rather silly, although it is nice to have variable outputs available for those occasions when one really needs 1000+.

On a day to day basis, what really comes in handy, IMHO, is protracted run time....., the more the better.

#277264 - 10/24/15 05:09 PM Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ya but... A major reason I like the TerrsLux drop-in LED bulbs is this line in their write-up
Quote:
... contain the TerraLUX LED Light Engine, so it maintains a constant light output over the life of the batteries. ...
That tells me that the LED bulb has a voltage regulator or something similar to maintain lumen output. An unregulated LED can still have very good life and is not fragile, but voltage regulation helps get the most out of your batteries.

#277269 - 10/25/15 08:40 AM Re: Looking for a big "tactical" flashlight [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Dagny

I certainly do not need another flashlight (plenty of Surefires and Fenix), but yesterday I ordered LL Bean's new "retro" LED flashlight. Only 200 lumens, but once upon a time that was pretty good.

Takes two "D" batteries, seven hour runtime. Metal body.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88820?feat=flashlight-SR0&page=retro-led-flashlight

[color:#3333FF]A 1950s-style, metal-bodied flashlight with a modern 200-lumen LED bulb.

Vintage style features a rugged metal body

Bright LED bulb never needs replacing

Runs up to 7 hours on two D batteries, not included

I don't mean to knock that light; if styling and appearance is important that light looks cool. But I don't like D-Cells compared to CR123a. They're expensive for the power they provide, their self discharge rate is higher than CR123A, their shelf life is shorter and they don't work as well in the cold. They are much larger and heavier as well. Seven hours runtime isn't great for two cells. While it's not as bright my Pelican Nemo has good output and 50+ hours on 3 x C-Cells. And it's easy to find a light that takes 3 x CR123a that run for 10+ hours.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
200 lumens is still 200 lumens and is a light source that is perfectly adequate for most tasks. The lumens race is rather silly, although it is nice to have variable outputs available for those occasions when one really needs 1000+.

On a day to day basis, what really comes in handy, IMHO, is protracted run time....., the more the better.

For EDC/daily use I agree that sheer lumens isn't the biggest issues. Candela is more important, and form factor is bigger still. The light should be the right size and durable enough to stand up to use & storage. Max light output is irrelevant if the light is broken.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 282 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.