The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277015 - 10/12/15 01:48 AM Ideal Place to Live
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
If you could live anywhere with all current restrictions removed, where would you live?

If I knew the language and had the money and mental health, I would want to live in Jerusalem. I love Israel, mainly for spiritual reasons, but I also love the "romance" of the "old world." Jerusalem is a modern city too and the largest in Israel. I also love the big city though Jerusalem is just under a million in population. The Tel Aviv Metropolitan Area has a larger population.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277016 - 10/12/15 09:52 AM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That's a tough one! I haven't been everywhere but a few of the places I really loved include Coeur D'Alene, Idaho; Mizzoula, MT and Bozeman, MT; and Spokane, WA. All are in beautiful country near forests and/or mountains and all of them have gun laws that are to my liking (I'm a big shooter and firearms enthusiast).

#277017 - 10/12/15 10:23 AM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Phaedrus]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Somewhere not too hot ! I hate the heat but don't mind cold within reason.
Warm clothing can be worn if cold, there is a limit as to what can be removed if too hot.
Heating appliances are generally cheaper, simpler, and more reliable than air conditioning.

Somewhere not too crowded, but also not too remote.

Democratic and law abiding.

Preferably where land is cheap enough that one could buy enough to grow food and firewood, and where edible game is available.

Not liable to earthquakes, landslides, forest fires, flooding or other natural disasters.
Not too vulnerable to man made disasters such as dam failure, chemical leak, large accidental explosions,or nuclear accident.

Not too near obvious military or terrorist targets.

Where firearms may be lawfully obtained and used.

That suggests either certain northern parts of the USA, southern parts of Canada, Norway, and perhaps Scotland (shotguns are easily obtained legally, other guns effectively prohibited)

Edited by adam2 (10/12/15 10:27 AM)

#277018 - 10/12/15 12:59 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

New Zealand.

Spent a month there and loved it -- subtropical beaches, magnificent glaciated mountains and volcanoes -- my favorites.

#277019 - 10/12/15 01:11 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'd love to find a place that has strong protection of firearms rights, low earthquake and flood risk, no extremes of heat or cold, reasonable access to different types of terrain, and close to good medical care. One of the best areas I've seen for my list is Central Arizona. Coeur D'Alene has been on my list although I haven't been there yet.

#277020 - 10/12/15 01:32 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
But every place has it's STOBOR....

#277021 - 10/12/15 01:59 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: wildman800]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: wildman800

I believe I have the gist of what you're saying; I could not find STOBOR in the online dictionaries.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277022 - 10/12/15 02:52 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
ROBOTS spelled backward -- it's a Heinlein thing.

#277024 - 10/12/15 03:08 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
If you could live anywhere with all current restrictions removed, where would you live?

Putting emphasis on your "current restrictions removed" statement, I'd consider the Pacific Northwest. There are reasons I wouldn't necessarily move there now, because of restrictions - the building up of left coast firearms laws and attitudes specifically. I'd consider Hawaii too, given that their current onerous restrictions would be removed as well. But taking in account the current restrictions of places here in the US, I'd probably pick Alaska, Wyoming or Montana.

#277025 - 10/12/15 04:02 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: chaosmagnet]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Chaos, your choices would be mine as well. I have been there and I loved it.

#277026 - 10/12/15 04:22 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig

Putting emphasis on your "current restrictions removed" statement

My mental health should not be an issue for my situation. They have the doctors and the medications I need there too.

I'd consider the Pacific Northwest. There are reasons I wouldn't necessarily move there now, because of restrictions - the building up of left coast firearms laws and attitudes specifically. I'd consider Hawaii too, given that their current onerous restrictions would be removed as well.

Taking things a step further, such as laws, is an interesting thought. Even then I would pick Israel.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277027 - 10/12/15 06:10 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I would probably consider moving to northern Perthshire, somewhere around the Loch of the Lowes or Dunkeld, although the county of Angus next to Perthshire does have some nice Glens. The North of the Kingdom of Fife around Falkland and Newburgh is a little too quiet though. wink

#277029 - 10/12/15 07:29 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Having traveled far and wide, I have found the ideal place for me. Alaska meets my criteria for individual freedoms, lack of poisonous/dangerous vermin, abundant resources, favorable weather, and minimal population. Anchorage was a bit crowded for me, but where I am now is about as good as it gets. Sure, the state govt has it's personally undesirable slants, but fortunately they don't affect me significantly yet. Time will tell, as it did in Washington.

I could go for Queensland AU, except for the snakes and spiders, and the 45%+ income tax rate. The area around Reno NV would be good, except for the proximity to California and the overflow of their influence in the area. Walla Walla was pretty nice, but again, the political philosophy of the area is wanting, and they too have snakes and spiders I've had run-ins with.

Europe, Asia, and Africa are far too inhospitable, both politically and naturally, for my tastes. Europe feels sort of used up and gentrified. Asia is just too crowded and overgrown, and Africa is just plain hostile. Parts of South America would work I suppose, but I have no real experience to contemplate.

I am happy with where I am for the moment. I don't need any panacea remedies or qualifiers to enjoy life here, so until the big one hits, this is as good as it gets in my humble opinion. I could make a list, and even started one on this thread. But not so sure it is a good idea to advertise what I don't want to share.

Edited by benjammin (10/12/15 07:31 PM)

#277032 - 10/12/15 09:14 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree completely with Big Ben on Africa and Europe!

#277033 - 10/12/15 09:23 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think Alaska would be awesome if we're talking the parts off of the Ring of Fire and out of the tsunami zone. But I have not yet had a chance to visit the state.

#277034 - 10/12/15 10:42 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: wildman800]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: wildman800

Best to build traps for them, just in case.

#277041 - 10/13/15 12:12 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: benjammin]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Europe, Asia, and Africa are far too inhospitable, both politically and naturally, for my tastes. Europe feels sort of used up and gentrified. Asia is just too crowded and overgrown, and Africa is just plain hostile. Parts of South America would work I suppose, but I have no real experience to contemplate.

Hmm, I can't really think of all that many inhospitable places in Europe. And Asia being crowded... Heck, Mongolia and Siberia would be just about perfect for anyone trying to get away from civilization. But anyway, to each his own.

As cliche as it may sound, Provence may be closer to the ideal place than anywhere else I've been so far. Or Portugal, the countryside is fantastic. Beautiful nature, pretty relaxed and easygoing (in a good way) all around. Maybe not the ultimate choice for a gun nut. Then again, not the kind of place where you'd need a gun for anything other than personal amusement.

#277052 - 10/13/15 09:00 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

My mind freezes at the "current restrictions removed" clause.

What does that mean?

No earthquakes, floods, volcanos, diseases, tornadoes, nosy neighbors, intrusive governments, predatory animals, venomous pests?

#277056 - 10/13/15 09:59 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: unimogbert]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Realistically, it is very unlikely that there is an"ideal" place to live,with no negative features...

I, too, am a fan of central Arizona. living for about three years in Globe, a small community which is rather insular and provincial - still, good folks. But weather extremes and EQ possibilities exist there. Where precisely in central AZ do you not have these conditions - Prescott?

#277057 - 10/13/15 10:18 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Mars. A well funded, long term NASA settlement on Mars smile

#277059 - 10/13/15 11:34 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: unimogbert]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
My mind freezes at the "current restrictions removed" clause.

What does that mean?

No earthquakes, floods, volcanos, diseases, tornadoes, nosy neighbors, intrusive governments, predatory animals, venomous pests?

I listed the restrictions preventing me from living in my ideal place to live, finances and the language barrier. I would need to read, write and speak Hebrew.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277060 - 10/13/15 11:37 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Realistically, it is very unlikely that there is an"ideal" place to live,with no negative features...

I know the negatives of the nation I wish to live in. Still, if I had the money and knew the language that is where I want to live.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277061 - 10/14/15 02:20 AM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Your desired changes are quite modest and potentially achievable.

I was thinking something like - I'd love to live in San Diego as I remember it when I was a kid there 55 years ago.

You might like your chosen city better if you could somehow impose peace on the squabbling that goes on in that city.

Think big? Or small? How much superpower are we granted for this question?

#277063 - 10/14/15 03:36 AM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think hikermor hits it on the head- no place is perfect and ideal. There are always tradeoffs.

#277064 - 10/14/15 04:27 AM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

I would probably consider moving to northern Perthshire, somewhere around the Loch of the Lowes or Dunkeld, although the county of Angus next to Perthshire does have some nice Glens. The North of the Kingdom of Fife around Falkland and Newburgh is a little too quiet though. wink

OK. I'll have to admit complete geographical ignorance here. I have no idea where you are talking about. I guess I better brush up on my geography so I'm not so stupid. The only thing I can say is those names don't sound like they're in Mexico ... but that's about all I can glean from it.

#277066 - 10/14/15 01:13 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: unimogbert]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Your desired changes are quite modest and potentially achievable.

I was thinking something like - I'd love to live in San Diego as I remember it when I was a kid there 55 years ago.

You might like your chosen city better if you could somehow impose peace on the squabbling that goes on in that city.

Think big? Or small? How much superpower are we granted for this question?

Let me rephrase the question. What's preventing you from living in your ideal location?

I'm able to learn a new language. All I need is to take a class. What about finances? I'm not living in poverty but with my current finances, I can't afford to live in Israel.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277067 - 10/14/15 01:42 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Let me rephrase the question. What's preventing you from living in your ideal location?

Work.

#277072 - 10/14/15 04:34 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

I'm in a pretty good place already, all things considered.

Otherwise- risk aversion, lack of imagination, tolerance for sub-optimal conditions (such as work), and 35 years of accumulated stuff in the house have their effects.
I'd revisit the question after a house fire I think....

Edited by unimogbert (10/14/15 04:34 PM)

#277073 - 10/14/15 08:52 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

The utter lack of an ideal location.

That sounds like a snarky answer, but I mean it seriously. I'm not sure, all things taken together, that there really IS a better location than where I am now. Some things here I dislike, other things I like. You dream of other places being better, but are they?

In my opinion, the single greatest "ruiner" of a fantastic location is government control in action. Doesn't matter which party. And we have zero control of how that's playing out, despite the mantra "get out and vote!" (which I do every time). This is ruining many places I otherwise might consider moving to. Are there any places left without a government, or only a very minimal one?

#277074 - 10/14/15 09:34 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

In my opinion, the single greatest "ruiner" of a fantastic location is government control in action. Doesn't matter which party. And we have zero control of how that's playing out, despite the mantra "get out and vote!" (which I do every time). This is ruining many places I otherwise might consider moving to. Are there any places left without a government, or only a very minimal one?

I don't believe such a place exists. If it's taken this direction the question becomes what kind of government do you want?

Jeanette Isabelle

#277075 - 10/14/15 11:38 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

...what kind of government do you want?

I'd be happiest with one that spent only money it actually had in hand, where Election Day is also Tax Day, where only one kind of tax was permitted to be collected (property taxes, I think, as sales taxes tend to gum up the machinery of commerce and income taxes has the government involve itself in how I earn money), where religion was not the basis of law, where bureaucrats could not make law, and where the government's function was to do the things that only government can do effectively (defense, police, courts).

Since that place exists solely in my mind I would settle for one that was just like the United States but actually followed the written Constitution.

#277076 - 10/15/15 12:31 AM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'd be happiest with one that spent only money it actually had in hand

I'll go for that. I also want one that doesn't waste taxpayers' money.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277085 - 10/15/15 06:35 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: haertig]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Colorado was cool. The two things I didn't care for when I lived there was the weather (two tornadoes and numerous thunderstorms at most inopportune times), and the politics. They have their own state run "bureau of investigation", and they confused me with someone else with a criminal record. When I tried to purchase a firearm, they denied me, and said I would have to prove in court I was not the criminal, and the judge would have to agree to it. Needless to say, I did not stick around to wait for them to come a calling with the swat team. Also, I was uncomfortable with the 4/20 celebration happening out on the state's capital lawn.

Yeah, and the traffic in Denver was not much fun either.

But the fishing was pretty cool, and the food was tasty.

#277113 - 10/18/15 01:30 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: benjammin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I have lived in southern California for some time, and it has its negatives and its pluses. Realistically, what you do is adapt, minimizing the negatives and taking full advantage of the positives.

We have earthquakes, but we don't have tornadoes or hurricanes;thunderstorms are rare.

The area is over crowded, but the population is ethically and culturally diverse. We get many cultural events that don't play elsewhere. Freeways can be jammed, so you learn about off-peak travel.

Weather is generally mild (which can actually be boring!) I have a daily choice of beach, ocean, mountain environments within thirty minutes of my house. Desert and high mountain country are an easy drive. Lots of national parks and other preserves, which can be crowded (Yosemite!), but I know of secluded places, not to be named, where solitude can be found - pristine beaches where I have never encountered another soul....

What works is a change of place. For several years, I have worked seasonally in South Dakota, which is SoCal turned inside out. SoCal-every other person drives a Prius. SoDak-get a pickup truck or leave! I eagerly await my annual SoDak fix!

People is each environment generally respond rationally to their situation, which gives me hope for the human race.

#277114 - 10/18/15 02:30 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The area is over crowded, but the population is ethically and culturally diverse.

"Ethically" or "ethnically"? Or is this one of those humor things?

#277117 - 10/18/15 03:16 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

OOps! Missed that one completely! However, upon further review, I think both words fit - my original intent was "ethnically"

#277119 - 10/18/15 04:06 PM Re: Ideal Place to Live [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
LOL smile I saw that too but didn't see a need to correct -- ethically diverse seems fitting and appropriate.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 517 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
49 minutes 55 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.