The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#276707 - 09/20/15 05:14 PM Kayak Strobe/Safety Light
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Any recommendations for a safety strobe light for kayaking/canoeing?

I presently have an old Seattle Sports Hydrostar but for the life of me cannot figure how to change the batteries. I don't even remember what batteries it takes, yet it currently still functions.

In October, I'll be spending a couple weeks on the Outer Banks of North Carolina (Avon, NC) and will be paddling virtually every day on Pamlico Sound. We stay pretty close to shore but, not surprising for an ETSer, I'd like to be prepared for the unexpected and unlikely.

I'm looking at this updated version of the Hydrostar but would like to do more research before buying it. When not paddling, like its predecessor it will be stored in the car.

http://www.seattlesportsco.com/paddling/hydrostar-sos-seastar-deluxe.html

Some crummy reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports-Hydrostar-Seastar-Deluxe/dp/B00CSUENN0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_468_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0E00FJH35X9KHXQN7ANF&dpID=41MZ9db6xSL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

#276708 - 09/20/15 06:41 PM Re: Kayak Strobe/Safety Light [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am becoming a big fan of Zebralight products, mostly their headlamps, which are bright with variable settings. The ones I have possess a strobe/beacon mode, which would appear to be effective. They are rated to IPX7 for waterproofness ( 2 M for 30 min, I believe) and they are great illumination tools for general use.

#276709 - 09/20/15 07:32 PM Re: Kayak Strobe/Safety Light [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Have you considered an ACR Firefly or the ACR Lifevest Signal Light ? They don't stand up on the deck of your kayak, but the reviews of the Seattle Sports Hydrostar don't seem to indicate a high build quality. Either of those lights with a good headlamp illuminating what you need to see would be both reliable and give a bit of redundancy. Both of the ACR strobes use 2xAA batteries, headlamps come in AAA or AA flavors.

#276710 - 09/20/15 07:52 PM Re: Kayak Strobe/Safety Light [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am becoming a big fan of Zebralight products, mostly their headlamps, which are bright with variable settings. The ones I have possess a strobe/beacon mode, which would appear to be effective. They are rated to IPX7 for waterproofness ( 2 M for 30 min, I believe) and they are great illumination tools for general use.

Strobes need to emite light 360 degrees, so any flashlight or headlight really don't do that job well. Not even with any attachments on it.

Back to the original question, I have no experience with the SOS seastar deluxe. I do know that I personally don't like seperate battery carries, they somehow always seems flimsy and break. But at the same time, I haven't seen very bad strobes from any of the large manufactures.

Do check what batteries you want to use and if the strobe accepts it.

#276711 - 09/20/15 08:16 PM Re: Kayak Strobe/Safety Light [Re: Dagny]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Dagny
I presently have an old Seattle Sports Hydrostar but for the life of me cannot figure how to change the batteries. I don't even remember what batteries it takes, yet it currently still functions.

Battery change instructions at http://seattle1.nextmp.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Hydrostar-2013-WEB-4.12.13.pdf

Not sure how important the red/green running lights are on a kayak since you move so slow relative to most boat traffic. I believe the legal requirement for paddle craft is a single white light.

The biggest priority is to be seen by other boats so you don't get run over. For that, a headlamp might be a better bet than a deck mounted light. Kayaks are so low to the water that being visible is a real issue even in daylight. A headlamp will be slightly higher than a deck mounted light. That extra foot or so of hight of a headlamp (relative to a deck light) will help you be seen more readily by power boats.

In my opinion strobes should generally be reserved for when you are in distress. One exception might be if you see a powerboat bearing down on you in the dark and suspect they don't see you. In that case I wouldn't hesitate to tun on the strobe to keep from being run over.

#276712 - 09/20/15 08:41 PM Re: Kayak Strobe/Safety Light [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Thanks, Aksar.

Unfortunately, my Hydrostar is an older model and does not fit with those instructions.

#276713 - 09/20/15 09:19 PM Re: Kayak Strobe/Safety Light [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Here is what the US Coast Guard has to say:

(ii) A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall exhibit an all around white light or have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision. Vessel Under Oars

A 360 strobe has obvious utility, but also is likely to blind the kayaker while performing its function. I'll stick with a headlamp, not just the brand i prefer, but many of the other brands sport variable light levels and reasonable waterproofness (Fenix, Nitecore et al.)

Kayaking at night in the presence of other craft seems like a bad idea. I have always been on shore watching the sunset.... I carried a signal mirror and flares for day time emergencies

#276714 - 09/20/15 09:49 PM Re: Kayak Strobe/Safety Light [Re: AKSAR]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
The biggest priority is to be seen by other boats so you don't get run over. For that, a headlamp might be a better bet than a deck mounted light. Kayaks are so low to the water that being visible is a real issue even in daylight. A headlamp will be slightly higher than a deck mounted light.

But a headlamp only shines to one direction, forward. You can still be run over by a boat that comes from your rear because you are not visible. Therefore a kayak light should have 360 degrees field of light.

Or do boats never pass you from behind, do they allways come "nose to nose"?

Edited by Herman30 (09/20/15 09:53 PM)

#276716 - 09/20/15 10:57 PM Re: Kayak Strobe/Safety Light [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Dagny probably needs to amplify on her intended use, so we don't take this thread on a tangent for no reason.

I would not kayak at night on Pamlico Sound -- too many things to go wrong, like getting run over. Besides at night you should have a fire going on shore, dinner, sleep, then breakfast. OTOH a good strobe light for general safety and to get noticed is always a good thing to pack. Just get one that isn't fragile.

BTW the ACR Firefly PRO SOLAS Strobe looks like a step up from the ACR Firefly Plus mentioned in my previous post. It's a bit more spendy but the specs look better. ACR units are usually well made.

#276717 - 09/20/15 10:58 PM Re: Kayak Strobe/Safety Light [Re: Dagny]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Frim the point of a small boat sailor, the deck mounted lights are of limited value. Unless I specifically looking for one during the day, I won't see it. It will actually hide your silhouette if you're between me and the sun. The farthest I've detected 'yaks is if they're flying an orange flag on a 3-5 foot mast.

IMHO the best daytime visibility is a flag and high-vis jacket. The best nighttime is a mast mounted white or red/green/white light and a headlamp. If I see a strobe on the water, I'm going to assume somebody went overboard and will manuver for a pickup.

Flag/light/mast kits can be had for for $50-$100.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 526 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
33 minutes 23 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.