Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#276781 - 09/24/15 03:23 AM Oregonians Should Read This
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
As I've mentioned previously, I'm particularly interested in the Cascadia Subduction Zone hazard because I'm from Oregon and my sister still lives there (Portland).

This link below is to a state government report so grim in regard to the seismic vulnerabilities of Oregon's petroleum and electricity infrastructure, that I hesitate to mention it to her.

90% of Oregon's petroleum supplies come from the Pugent Sound area, via pipeline and ship and comes through a location on the Willamette River north of Portland so prone to liquefaction that a major quake in or near Portland would be catastrophic in terms of the environment, economy and the ability of the region to function post-quake.

Not only is this "Critical Energy Infrastructure" located on about the worst terrain imaginable but most of the facilities -- from piers to storage tanks -- were constructed before anyone had a clue that there was an earthquake threat, let alone the extent we now know it to be. This CEI (six miles long) includes natural gas facilities and a high-voltage electrical transmission corridor.

Some findings: 1) the primary liquid fuel pipeline dates to the 1960s; 2) 100% of Portland International Airport's liquid fuel supply goes through the CEI. There is much more in this rather riveting report.

http://www.oregongeology.org/sub/earthquakes/cei-hub-report.pdf

This report has me convinced, more than ever before, that Oregon is a ticking time bomb due to the CSZ. Remediation would be spectacularly expensive. Oregonians west of the Cascades had better get serious about individual preparedness -- including the ability to survive a winter without gasoline, oil or electricity.

Really hard to imagine that. I think there would be a mass migration out of the region -- far eclipsing what happened after Hurricane Katrina.

This is all such a reversal of what I grew up "knowing" about the Pacific Northwest. Before we moved there we lived near Los Angeles and had experienced the 1971 Sylmar quake (6.7 magnitude). We believed, as geologists believed, that we'd left the earthquake threat behind when we moved to Oregon.

We were so blissfully unaware.

#276783 - 09/24/15 12:33 PM Re: Oregonians Should Read This [Re: Dagny]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
on a C-Span interview with Craig Fugate (FEMA)... on the 10th anniversary of Katrina, he was asked what was his greatest fear... that was #1 and a major hurricane striking the Chesapeake Bay....

#276786 - 09/24/15 11:19 PM Re: Oregonians Should Read This [Re: LesSnyder]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
on a C-Span interview with Craig Fugate (FEMA)... on the 10th anniversary of Katrina, he was asked what was his greatest fear... that was #1 and a major hurricane striking the Chesapeake Bay....

The Chesapeake Bay - that's something I haven't thought of for awhile. There was a point during Hurricane Hugo's journey in 1989, when it was thought that it might come up the Bay.

That would be something.

#276804 - 09/26/15 03:26 AM Re: Oregonians Should Read This [Re: Dagny]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Blissfully Unaware - is a great way to sum up the whole situation.

For a long time I believed that the two areas are independent - what happens on the Cascadia is separate from what happens on the San Andreas. Although that's probably still the case, I am no longer confident about it. Seems like one event could trigger the other. I suspect now that the Cascadia might go first - have the first quake. I have not studied the liquefaction zones. The tsunami risk is very real, in Oregon but fortunately a lot of USGS geologists have been getting the word out to the towns on the OR coast.

There will be a lot of damage to the West Coast of the USA, when the Cascadia and the San Andreas quakes happen. Realistically, they will probably be separated by a short time period. If they happen together in one MEGA Quake - kiss the West Coast goodbye!!

Pete

Edited by Pete (09/26/15 03:29 AM)

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.