The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#276305 - 08/21/15 02:29 AM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks guys

I only use th galaxy to GET ( not GIVE) info. For example I use the galaxy to surf stock trading forums for hints & insights but not to do trading.

Iam still new to the Galaxy thing and still stumbling around it. So when I logged in this forum to writr this I accidently found myself out. The first time it asked me if I wanted username & password saved. I chose NEVER option. Second time logging in I was starting to write username when it gave the suggestion (chisel) .. LOL. So much for NEVER!!

#276308 - 08/21/15 07:09 AM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Internet security is much like regular security like door locks and car alarms. It's very difficult, impossible perhaps, to completely secure information, just like no home door lock is entirely immune to attack. Your goal is to make it so difficult and time consuming that the thief moves on to greener pastures.

#276313 - 08/21/15 06:15 PM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Public WiFi does have it's security problems. If your worried about someone eavesdropping on you (and that's a very real possibility), there are several VPN solutions for Android.

I have used AVAST Antivirus for years (It's free and decent), and they make clients for both Windows and Android.

They also have a Secure VPN client just for Android. It's a subscription, and not free, but it works very well and would take the risk out of using public Wifi.

#276314 - 08/21/15 06:32 PM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
RNewcomb Offline

And looking through these posts, I can't help but comment on some of the more "Don't trust the internet, the government see's and knows all!" posts.

[redacted]

This was actually the first mention of government at all in this thread. This post was off topic and inappropriate.

UPDATED: It's been pointed out to me that there was a previous mention of the government in this thread.

chaosmagnet

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/26/15 01:40 PM)

#276325 - 08/23/15 07:30 AM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

While we're on the topic of computer security, let me ask about a situation I found myself in today.

My online backup service offers "default encryption" and "private encryption." In the former, the company would store your data encrypted, but you don't have to choose the key. In the latter, you choose your own key "for even greater protection." If you forget your key, your data cannot be decrypted (unless you're the NSA, I guess). Both systems use the 256-bit AES encryption. The tech support reassured me again and again that with default encryption, my data is perfectly safe, that their employees would have no access to my data. I kept asking, "But the key would have to be stored somewhere, right?" They kept avoiding answering that question. So that doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Even though I only have personal stuff, nothing of commercial or national importance, I still wonder whether using an encryption key I don't control is a gaping hole.

#276326 - 08/23/15 02:23 PM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
That's a really good question, Bingley. It's analogous to one of the most fundamental and important questions in information security, the key distribution problem.

Briefly, we can make encryption that cannot ever be broken through cryptanalysis of intercepted traffic, using a one time pad (OTP). Why doesn't everybody use OTP then? Because distributing the keys, securely, to everyone with whom you might want to communicate is an absurdly difficult problem if you're going to communicate with more than a few people or if you don't already have a secure channel already -- and if you have a secure channel already, why do you need an OTP?

Back to your questions.

First, AES256 is really, really strong, so strong that using current supercomputer technology it would take more time than there is left before the end of the universe to crack your key. Nation-state actors who want to decrypt AES256 need to get the key some way other than cryptanalysis.

Second, you're right: If you let your online backup service manage your key, that means that they have access to your key. While the service I use claims to -- and almost certainly does -- use strong internal controls to prevent unauthorized access to keys, keys could still be compromised by a sufficiently advanced attacker or by legal process.

So how do you balance the risk? For me, I read about the (claimed) security procedures used by the online backup service I subscribe to. I decided they were using a pretty secure method, and that the risk (to me) of key compromise was less than the risk of losing the stored data.

I let my online backup service manage my key.

#276335 - 08/24/15 02:44 AM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the thoughtful response, and for taking the time to compose it! You are truly a help. For me, it's also a matter of weighing the compromise. I just wish the tech support guy were more informative than repeatedly asserting "your data is safe!"

#276336 - 08/24/15 02:50 AM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
You're welcome. I've been doing infosec for my entire adult life. Your tech support rep probably wasn't trained to discuss the complexities of key management.

#276346 - 08/24/15 06:18 PM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: Bingley]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As the Prisoner once asked 'WHY?' to the General all those years ago.

Perhaps this Video JADE HELM (Master The Human Domain) decoded might begin to start answering that Question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqGEz9IqOrE

#276355 - 08/25/15 05:15 PM Re: Security using public wifi? [Re: RNewcomb]
RNewcomb Offline

Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
And looking through these posts, I can't help but comment on some of the more "Don't trust the internet, the government see's and knows all!" posts.

[redacted]

This was actually the first mention of government at all in this thread. This post was off topic and inappropriate.

chaosmagnet

I apologize, my comments here were not constructive to the conversation. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 551 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
47 minutes 17 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.