Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#275852 - 07/19/15 03:59 PM Earthquake Kit - recs?
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
A few years ago, I assembled and gave to my sister in Portland, Oregon, a survival kit for her car. It was focused on winter survival on the mountain (Hood). She assures me that she does keep it in her car. The New Yorker article this week on the Cascade Subduction Zone has motivated me to stock a daypack for her that she would keep in her office or in her car.

I'll list the contents, so far, in the next post. Meanwhile, I'm searching Amazon for a small pry-bar and gas/water shutoff tool.

Any recommendations on those tools?

#275854 - 07/19/15 05:06 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kit planning, so far. She works at a hospital (administrative) so the first-aid component of the bag is oriented to her being elsewhere when the quake hits -- perhaps in a store or forced to abandon the car because of road/bridge damage.

Befitting my little sister, this kit is largely hand-me-downs... :-) She's not clueless on preparedness as she has been involved on the periphery of workplace emergency planning and even has a ham radio operator license. However, she does not worry about herself as much as I worry about her. So big sis (me) wants the comfort of knowing that she has some emergency resources. Odds are we won't be connecting on the phone for days, or longer if the "Really Big One" strikes.

Opinions welcome.

** will be organized via freezer bags with notes on bag labels

NEWS & NAVIGATION
Portland map
button compass
AM-FM radio + extra AA batteries

FIRST-AID
Adventure Medical “Wound-Care” kit
assorted large bandages, non-stick pads, gauze, tape
sanitary napkins (4)
eyedrops/wash
meds (ibuprofen, aspirin, benadryl)

LIGHT
Petzl e-lite headlamp
Fenix E-20 (uses one AA battery) + extra battery

WATER
32 oz Nalgene canteen
Rothco canteen carrying pouch
Micropur tablets

FOOD
energy bars (2)
mixed nuts
hard candies

FIRE
BIC lighter (wrapped in hot pink duct tape)
REI Stormproof matches
mini-firesteel, scraper & cotton balls & Vaseline lip/skin balm (petroleum jelly)
tea-light candle

TOOLS
fixed blade knife (Morakniv)
mini pry-bar
gas & water shut-off
seatbelt cutter
mini-Leatherman
first-aid scissors

WARMTH
chemical hand-warmers (4)
AMK Heatsheet
garbage bags (2) -- makeshift poncho

MISC
Kleenex packets (2)
Storm whistle
N-95 mask
bandannas (2)
hiking pole
550 paracord
work gloves
moleskine notebook + pen + Sharpie
cash ($20 in ones)

#275857 - 07/19/15 06:29 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
This is well thought-out. Your priorities to me appear to be light, and easy to move with, while still providing serious utility. There are a few things I'd like you to consider adding.

• Phone charger, hopefully for her smartphone that has local topo maps on it
  • First aid materials for feet (I recently became a big fan of the Foot Care Module from Rescue Essentials, no affiliation)
  • Spare pair of well broken-in boots
  • A full-size Leatherman
  • Rain poncho or jacket
  • A warm fleece
  • Signal mirror
  • Spare glasses if she wears them
  • Dry clothes to wear, most especially socks
  • More cash
  • Spare sunglasses

I carry a lot more, but my kit is meant to be comprehensive and live in my car, it's not designed for hoofing it longer distances without leaving a bunch behind.

#275858 - 07/19/15 06:41 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
This is well thought-out. Your priorities to me appear to be light, and easy to move with, while still providing serious utility. There are a few things I'd like you to consider adding.

• Phone charger, hopefully for her smartphone that has local topo maps on it
  • First aid materials for feet (I recently became a big fan of the Foot Care Module from Rescue Essentials, no affiliation)
  • Spare pair of well broken-in boots
  • A full-size Leatherman
  • Rain poncho or jacket
  • A warm fleece
  • Signal mirror
  • Spare glasses if she wears them
  • Dry clothes to wear, most especially socks
  • More cash
  • Spare sunglasses

I carry a lot more, but my kit is meant to be comprehensive and live in my car, it's not designed for hoofing it longer distances without leaving a bunch behind.

All great recs, Chaos, thanks for your feedback!

I'm going to build out a bigger list of things she should add. I'll go ahead and add the foot care kit. I'm seeing the kit you reference on Amazon but it does not include free Prime shipping. So I'll compare that to the AMK kit and get one or the other.

My sister is pretty petite and not currently athletic (thin and not very strong) so pack weight is a major consideration.

Thanks, again.

#275861 - 07/19/15 10:54 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Dagny, UR a good big sister! As to your tool inquiry, there are many options. Cheapest reliable lightweight tool for the job may be the On-Duty 6 in 1 Tool. About $23US, from Fire Supply and other vendors. Best such tool IMO is the Channel Lock 6 In 1 Model 88, 9" , HD , plier, cutter, pry bar , water/ gas shutoff and spanner wrench. About $45US , on line, various suppliers. I'd also suggest a 4 way Silcock wrench/tool to access all types of water bids. About $3-4, on line. Also a small package of antibacterial wipes for wound & personal hygiene . Finally a gimmicky Stansport shovel, axe & saw, lightweight tool. About $25US on line . Good luck.

#275862 - 07/19/15 11:52 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: acropolis5]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Dagny's sister is in Portland OR, I have a feeling that finding water to purify won't be an issue. Rather than carrying a Silcock wrench, a small water filter may be more useful for long term water treatment. I have an MSR MiniWorks; it "screws onto an MSR Dromedary® Bag or Nalgene® water bottle". There's lots of water in Portland, it's just a matter of making it drinkable.

That said, since your (petite) sister will not be carrying a bag with lots of gear, size this kit to assist in getting to the larger kit in her car or as a GHB. Think of it as a walking kit with a destination -- car/home. The bigger kits reside where you use them.

What is the elevation of her home? At what elevation in Portland would one be "safe" from a serious tsunami?

#275863 - 07/20/15 01:33 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Dagny's sister is in Portland OR, I have a feeling that finding water to purify won't be an issue. Rather than carrying a Silcock wrench, a small water filter may be more useful for long term water treatment. I have an MSR MiniWorks; it "screws onto an MSR Dromedary® Bag or Nalgene® water bottle". There's lots of water in Portland, it's just a matter of making it drinkable.

That said, since your (petite) sister will not be carrying a bag with lots of gear, size this kit to assist in getting to the larger kit in her car or as a GHB. Think of it as a walking kit with a destination -- car/home. The bigger kits reside where you use them.

What is the elevation of her home? At what elevation in Portland would one be "safe" from a serious tsunami?

Thank you, Acropolis, and thanks, Russ.

I will look at all those tools tomorrow. Talked to my sister tonight and she's begun storing water in Aquatainers (7 gal. each) and is looking at rain barrels. That New Yorker article made quite an impression.

Portland is not at risk of a tsunami. It's about 80 air miles from the coast and 100 miles away via the Columbia River. My sister's house is at a couple hundred feet elevation. Her house is ten years old and the frame is bolted to the foundation, water heater is strapped to the wall, etc. She needs to secure all the taller furniture and artwork to the walls. There's reason to hope her house will remain habitable but in the worst scenario she's likely to lose utilities, possibly all of them.

To my surprise, I was reading today that The Dalles, a town 80 miles further east (about 200 miles from the coast) has been told they they'd likely lose electricity.

Portland may lose electricity for a couple of months. That's unprecedented in the U.S. and difficult to fathom.

https://goo.gl/maps/YunIX

In a big quake, liquefaction will be a problem for Portland, landslides will be rampant, most of the bridges linking the westside and downtown to the eastside are expected to be impassable or destroyed. And most of the buildings - private and public sector - were built during the 1950s-70s. Oregon didn't have even a rudimentary building code until 1974. The building codes were not significantly strengthened until the mid-1990s as policymakers were made aware of the CSZ threat.

Unfortunately, the hospital my sister works in may be among the casualties. Two-thirds of the hospitals in the CSZ are expected to be nonfunctional in the worst-case scenario. The good news is she'll be surrounded by doctors and nurses. The bad news is that it's a really big building and it's not new.

Hollywood should do a disaster flick about the CSZ scenario. There would be no need to embellish for dramatic effect.

#275864 - 07/20/15 05:12 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Dagny,

Nice kit for your sister. Like you I grew up in the Willamette Valley near Portland. When I was a Geology undergrad in the early '70s, Plate Tectonics was still a relatively new concept, but it was recognized that OR, WA, N CA, and S BC were located over a subduction zone. I still recall one of my professors commenting that while most subduction zones were seismically active, the PNW didn't seem to be. He said "We don't really know if this is because it somehow slips without earthquakes, or perhaps our record of quakes just doesn't go back far enough....?" or words to that effect. It took a couple of decades and the development of the tools of paleoseismology to determine that yes indeed, Cascadia does have very big quakes, they are just widely spaced in time.

I recently went through the same exercise as you, building a kit for my daughter, who lives near Tacoma. I think you did a good job designing a kit that has enough stuff to be useful, but is still light enough for a small person to carry. A couple of suggested additions:

I would include a lightweight compact outer shell garment. I opted to include a Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket, in High Vis Orange. It is reasonably priced, and folds up to a very small compact package. Get it big to go over other clothing. Presuming that your sister wears regular business apparel, it would be good to have a shell type garment to provide some protection from inclement weather. Bright orange will make her more visible for potential rescuers.

She should also include a pair of shoes she can walk in. Even an old pair of running shoes will be helpful if she needs to travel on foot to a place of refuge.

Another thing I would include is a pair of leather work gloves. If she needs to make her way on foot through rubble and wreckage, ordinary work gloves will provide some protection for her hands.

Some extra batteries for her lights would also be a good idea.

#275866 - 07/20/15 03:45 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: AKSAR]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Dagny,

Nice kit for your sister. Like you I grew up in the Willamette Valley near Portland. When I was a Geology undergrad in the early '70s, Plate Tectonics was still a relatively new concept, but it was recognized that OR, WA, N CA, and S BC were located over a subduction zone. I still recall one of my professors commenting that while most subduction zones were seismically active, the PNW didn't seem to be. He said "We don't really know if this is because it somehow slips without earthquakes, or perhaps our record of quakes just doesn't go back far enough....?" or words to that effect. It took a couple of decades and the development of the tools of paleoseismology to determine that yes indeed, Cascadia does have very big quakes, they are just widely spaced in time.

I recently went through the same exercise as you, building a kit for my daughter, who lives near Tacoma. I think you did a good job designing a kit that has enough stuff to be useful, but is still light enough for a small person to carry. A couple of suggested additions:

I would include a lightweight compact outer shell garment. I opted to include a Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket, in High Vis Orange. It is reasonably priced, and folds up to a very small compact package. Get it big to go over other clothing. Presuming that your sister wears regular business apparel, it would be good to have a shell type garment to provide some protection from inclement weather. Bright orange will make her more visible for potential rescuers.

She should also include a pair of shoes she can walk in. Even an old pair of running shoes will be helpful if she needs to travel on foot to a place of refuge.

Another thing I would include is a pair of leather work gloves. If she needs to make her way on foot through rubble and wreckage, ordinary work gloves will provide some protection for her hands.

Some extra batteries for her lights would also be a good idea.

Thanks much, Aksar, for all your suggestions. Very wise counsel on the jacket/shell. I have some extra Marmot Precips that are lightweight, wind-proof, highly water resistant and have a hood. I will bequeath one of those to her go-bag. Found some popular modest-price work gloves on Amazon that I'll add, too.

Really appreciate have other, knowledgeable eyes on this kit prep.

The Oregonian newspaper's website had its biggest "chat" group ever last week that was led by some of the leading geologists on the CSZ. They say odds are the southern portion of the CSZ (northern California, southern Oregon) will rupture before the northern does and before a full rupture occurs.

Of course, Mother Nature can scoff at odds....

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...s_advise_n.html

#275867 - 07/20/15 03:48 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

The link to Friday's entire Oregonlive chat with the CSZ geologists:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...su_earthqu.html

#275868 - 07/20/15 03:48 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Nice kit!

Maybe I missed it, but how about a (metal) cup to boil water and maybe have some tea/coffee/soup etc.? Personally, I like a GI canteen cup, but there are lots of alternatives. . .

#275869 - 07/20/15 04:41 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: bws48]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: bws48
Nice kit!

Maybe I missed it, but how about a (metal) cup to boil water and maybe have some tea/coffee/soup etc.? Personally, I like a GI canteen cup, but there are lots of alternatives. . .

BWS - I've been mulling that over, it's little weight with a lot of functionality.

I put a titanium sierra cup in the kit I gave my sister a few years ago, the one she says she still keeps in her car.

With this backpack I'm envisioning her being stuck somewhere in the metropolitan area -- at work, a store or on a road -- and having to walk all or much of the way home. Probably 10-15 miles.

Depending on the weather, I figure 32 ounces of water, some snacks and some cash can get her that far within 12-24 hours.

You've probably nudged me into adding another steel cup. ;-)

I'm keeping an inventory of this bag and will ask her for an inventory of what she currently keeps in her car.

I wish she'd keep a bicycle at work.

#275871 - 07/20/15 08:17 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

The Nalgene bottle nesting in a Snow Peak Trek 700 is a great way to go. Water storage with a mug to boil it. Add a pack of her favorite instant soup -- instant pick-me-up. Maybe pick up a Ti spoon and fork while you're there...

#275872 - 07/20/15 08:30 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
A couple of comments keeping in mind your "With this backpack I'm envisioning her being stuck somewhere in the metropolitan area -- at work, a store or on a road -- and having to walk all or much of the way home. Probably 10-15 miles." comment.

NAVIGATION:
*Replace the button compass with a hikers baseplate compass. The additional weight and bulk is more then offset by increased accuracy and quality.
*Earbuds consume a lot less power then external speakers on radios. The minimal cost, bulk, and weight of a pair of basic ones will be offset by the extended battery life.

FIRST AID:
*She's may be covering a lot of distance on foot. Athletic tape, second skin, and mole skin will cut down on foot and knee strain and blisters.

FOOD:
*Add in salty simple carbohydrates (i.e. pretzels) for on the move energy. High protien and fat foods tend to sit in your stomach while you're moving

TOOLS:
*Replace the FB knife, seat belt cutter, and mini-leatherman with a medium or full size Leatherman or SAK. There's not much need for a FB knife in urban/suburban environs, the seatbelt cutter function is already made redundant by EMT shears, and the mini-leathermans are light to medium use only. A medium or full size MT or SAK is going to provide the most punch for it's bulk.

MISC:
*Duct tape (gear repair - like shoes)
*Pocket hone
*Cell charger (If the radio has a jack for a 5-6V AC adaptor, it can also be run off of a 5V USB power source using an adaptor)

HOME:
*Strap any tall furniture to the wall. You spend more time at home then at work. So, your chances of getting squashed to death under a toppled bookshelf or dresser is better then at your desk.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275875 - 07/21/15 02:54 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, Russ and Mark. Hadn't thought of the earbuds. Not sure I have a hand-me-down big Leatherman but do have a SAK I don't use.

Thanks, all. Work gloves are on order, too.

#275877 - 07/21/15 01:14 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Mark_R]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

NAVIGATION:
*Replace the button compass with a hikers baseplate compass. The additional weight and bulk is more then offset by increased accuracy and quality.

This made me think a bit. Your sister will have her phone. Assuming it is GPS enabled, perhaps she should download area maps (for off line use if no data service)and use one of the free GPS programs to geotag important locations (home, work, other useful places).

Even if there is no cell service and all power is out, the satellites will still be working. And with the right program, it will give her a simple pointer of the correct direction from wherever she is.

The thing that concerns me about compasses is that it takes some skill and record keeping to keep on track from a known point to a desired point. In a post earthquake city, that may be more difficult due to blocked streets, and areas that must be avoided (fire, flood etc. etc.) Also, I don't know how all the steel in the buildings might affect the accuracy of a compass.

Sadly, I can't recommend such a program (I use one oriented toward my walking time/distance/speed), but I seem to remember a thread a year or so ago discussing such programs.

In any case, I agree a proper compass as suggested is to be preferred to a button compass.

#275878 - 07/21/15 02:19 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: bws48]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Re: navigation, I think a button compass is an OK choice in that sort of situation. A baseplate compass is better but a lot bulkier and hardly practical for a really small, compact survival kit intended for actual EDC.

Either way, I wouldn't put a compass very high on my priority list in an earthquake scenario. Might come in handy for sure, but so would many other tools and gadgets that simply cannot be carried on one's person on a day in, day out basis.

#275879 - 07/21/15 02:56 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Mark_R]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
TOOLS:
*Replace the FB knife, seat belt cutter, and mini-leatherman with a medium or full size Leatherman or SAK. There's not much need for a FB knife in urban/suburban environs

Also, I would disagree (quite strongly) with the above recommendation. Carrying a fixed blade knife may not be possible in an urban environment but if you happen to have one at hand it will be a tremendous asset in a SHTF situation.

If disaster strikes getting hold of the right tools for the job is likely to be very difficult. A robust fixed blade weighs little, can be carried easily yet can take care of many different tasks. Including the heavy duty stuff such as prying doors, breaking locks, smashing car glass, removing rubble etc. This is where a sharpened prybar type of knife like the Cold Steel SRK, Gerber LMF or even the good old Kabar really shines. But I would take even a Mora over a multitool or folder any day for that kind of work.

#275880 - 07/21/15 04:38 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

There are many combinations of tools that might work depending on the specifics of the disaster and where you happen to be. This is one reason I try to keep a decent kit in the truck (it is always nearby) and then have pocket-carry that will suffice to get to the truck. If Dagny's sister parks outside rather than in a parking garage her situation is very similar. Being in SOCAL, an EQ is always a consideration.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that Dagny's sister is not Dagny; she is unlikely to carry stuff "just in case". I would concentrate on EDC gear she might find useful during the workday rather than building an EQ specific kit. The right SAK could be useful for sister's urban EDC. I seriously doubt a sharpened prybar would be of any use other than during an emergency, so would probably not be carried at all. I would put EQ specific gear in the car kit, and focus on getting to the car.

#275881 - 07/21/15 05:11 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Much agreed. However, Dagny has included a fixed blade knife in the kit already so I suppose there was good reason for that decision in the first place.

Also, if one is realistically planning to EDC a metal cup, rain poncho, spare boots and whatnot on top of everything on Dagny's list the supposed extra bulk of a good fixed blade becomes a moot point. Heck, even a SRK is only 10" overall and 8oz. Probably less than the combined weight of the Mora and mini prybar and could easily replace both.

#275882 - 07/21/15 06:11 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Good point. IIRC Dagny is using extras from her own stash to build this kit and that's one reason the Mora knife was included; I think Dagny likes Mora's. A lot of the gear we are recommending will mean an outlay of $$$ rather than taking stuff out of storage. After all is said though, implementation of the EQ kit is up to sis', mindset and work situation will factor in.

Another point to consider is that a woman can drop a medium SAK in her purse and not raise an eyebrow -- instant EDC... unless she's getting on a plane at the airport. Mora's and other FB knives might not fit in as well for EDC.

OTOH, Leatherman HQ is in Portland, near where the I-5 bypass crosses the Columbia river, so a LM multi-tool may be a good way to go, it being local. wink

#275883 - 07/21/15 08:21 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

This is a great discussion, thank you all. Six Amazon packages came today so it is coming together. Before I ship it out I'll take photos of the contents and will post those here. Will be a few more days.

The Mora knife is indeed a hand-me-down. In fact it is one of the "Light-my-Fire" versions that came out a few years ago and has a firesteel in the handle. Not a terribly robust blade but it's a stainless steel, lightweight, capable package. And it's paid for.... ;-)

As I envision her using this as a get-home bag, I imagine what she may encounter. I anticipate that she would happen upon situations in which other people will need help and she will want to be of assistance. Cutting seatbelts and clothing and providing bandages may well be part of that. The ability to write names/phone #s/e-mails may be part of that if someone stranded wants her to relay a message. Or if she wants them to relay a message for her.

I'm undecided on the compass question. Was looking at Suunto's more basic models. More important is the paper map. She'll be in familiar urban-suburban terrain and if Mt. Hood is visible she'll have at least rough bearings. Figured the button compass is super lightweight and better than nothing.

After she receives the bag I'm going to talk her through it. I'll encourage her to have such bags in her car and office. The little bag she has in her car now is winter-oriented.

In the "Really Big One" planners expect that two-thirds of the hospitals in western Oregon will be unusable. Hopefully my sister's will be in the other third.

#275884 - 07/21/15 09:32 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Suunto makes a decent miniature compass. It's called Clipper and looks like a slightly bigger, more robust button compass. It is better made than no-name button compasses and could be a good choice. You can also attach it to a watch strap, which is a handy feature.

As long as your sister is staying in a familiar environment there is little chance that she would need a compass in the event of a natural disaster. It could be helpful in near zero visibility though (fog, dust or at night), so from that point of view carrying a miniature compass would make sense.

As far as adding a seatbelt cutter, I noticed there is a Leatherman on your list already. Many mid- to large-sized LM multitools have a highly effective sheepsfoot serrated blade. The one on my Wave does an outstanding job cutting cordage and the blunt tip is a good safety feature if used as a seatbelt cutter.

#275885 - 07/21/15 10:03 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

On the back of the serrated blade of the Leatherman Charge TTI is a cutting hook. You'd need to be careful with the serrated blade and what it was running across as you used the hook to cut a seatbelt, but there it is. A dedicated strap cutter is nice but a full size multi-tool is hard to misplace inside a small kit. I've got the Charge TTI -- Ti handle, S30V knife, lots of useful stuff -- nice tool.

#275886 - 07/22/15 12:03 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Interesting thread and some good ideas.

Here is my culled take on it based on all the suggestions and also based on my urban GHB which is designed for this same scenario.

Note that I listed all the suggestions into one big list that originated with Dagny's. For clarity and brevity, I removed most of the duplicate suggested items and original accompanying comments then added my comments. Feel free to counter comment smile

Any items and comments I added are in blue.

Portland map - Paper map is the best idea. No need to worry about a cellphone battery dying or other post quake communication problems.

Button compass - Not needed. I have been to Portland a few times with last being in 2009. I found Portland an easy city to find my way around in. Depending on weather, Mt. Hood will give a good indication of direction. Also with the Columbia River to the north and the Willamette River separting downtown Portland to the west and with Highway 5 along with 99 running east/west, I cannot see how anyone who has lived there any length of time, could get that lost. Also in the aftermath of the 2011 Japan earthquake, I recall seeing on the news, entire blocks of houses and buildings destroyed but there were still plenty of traffic direction and road/street signs that were untouched. I would suspect the same happens in any quake anywhere.

AM-FM radio + extra AA batteries - Great idea. Keep in mind that any local radio station will probably be off the air and people will have to rely on distant stations and as in all disaster events, the initial news and reports is sketchy at best.

FIRST-AID
Adventure Medical “Wound-Care” kit
assorted large bandages, non-stick pads, gauze, tape
sanitary napkins (4)
eyedrops/wash
meds (ibuprofen, aspirin, benadryl)
Foot powder- As the sister may be walking 10-14 miles, a small plastic bottle of foot powder is a good addition, especially for those who may encounter hot spots on their feet from walking/moisture etc. The bottle I have is about 2 inches high by 3/4/ wide and deep.

LIGHT
Petzl e-lite headlamp
Fenix E-20 (uses one AA battery) + extra battery

WATER
32 oz Nalgene canteen
Rothco canteen carrying pouch
Micropur tablets
Collapsible water bottle - Depending on time of year, 32 oz of water is not a lot for somone who maybe on foot for 12-24 hours. The problem with adding on more water is that it is heavy and bulky. We could assume that the sister would be at the hospital when the quake happens and maybe able to get some more water before pressure is lost completely or the hospital has a backup water system or stored bottle water. Even so, I would add a collapsible water bottle to the kit. These bottles weigh next to nothing and when folded, take up no room.

FOOD
energy bars (2)- Not enough for someone who maybe walking in some possible adverse conditions like winter cold and rain for 12-14 hours.
Mixed nuts - Ensure your body is used to these. I cannot eat mixed nuts without a long term and short intake introduction to them otherwise I get the worst gut aches.

hard candies - I initially wanted to say skip these as there is there is only the sugar to give you a quick boost of energy but that energy will come crashing down just as fast as the sugar high wears off. However a handful of hard candies may give a bit of a moral boost so leave them in the kit.

FIRE
BIC lighter (wrapped in hot pink duct tape)
REI Stormproof matches
mini-firesteel, scraper & cotton balls & Vaseline lip/skin balm (petroleum jelly) - Scrap the firesteel, there are already matches and lighters for firestarting. Also if someone is not versed in lighting fires with a firesteel, it could be a futile effort in terms of time, energy and frustration wise.
tea-light candle- Ditch it. Instead include a votive style candle or a 6" inch sized. Either one, wrap in plastic wrap to keep clean.

TOOLS
fixed blade knife (Morakniv)
mini pry-bar - Stanley 7-1/2-Inch model is the best balance between size/weight and usefulness.
gas & water shut-off -Cannot think where an inexperienced person would ever attempt to shutoff gas. Also if they did, the shutoff tool needs to be brass, aluminum etc so it will create any sparks if it comes into contact with steel gas pipe.

seatbelt cutter - Not needed if the person has the above knife.
mini-Leatherman - Already have a knife, a small set of standalone pliers or better yet, a 5" size vice grip is infinitely more versatile then the pliers on the Leatherman. Of all other tools on the Leatherman, what use in this scenario would they have.
first-aid scissors - Debatable. Already have a knife that will cut any fabric.

WARMTH
chemical hand-warmers (4)
AMK Heatsheet
garbage bags (2) -- makeshift poncho
Blue foam bum pad - By far, one of the best - if not the best outdoors related product I have ever purchased. These thin and very lightweight pads have so many uses other then their original purpose. They can be placed into the back or back of a jacket to block wind and help warm the body. Used in the front of a backpack to keep pointy objects from protruding into your back. Used as is as a roll up splint for a broken leg or can be cut up for a broken arm splint - I have personally seen this in a mountain rescue. Used to help fan a stubborn fire to catch and much more.

MISC
Kleenex packets (2) - Ditch it. For more versatility, add some folded paper towels into a zip lock bag. The paper towels do not need to be the real thick type as the thinner types fold and pack better.
Storm whistle
N-95 mask
bandannas (2)
hiking pole - Debatable depending on route and area of Portland. Also the earthquake will bring down a lot of trees. Pretty easy to snap off a small branch and improvise a walking stick.

550 paracord
work gloves
moleskine notebook + pen + Sharpie
cash ($20 in ones) - Add at least 3x that much.

Phone charger, hopefully for her smartphone that has local topo maps on it - Yes for the phone charger but keep in mind cell service maybe completely non-existent for days/weeks. See above in regards to phone vs maps for route finding.

First aid materials for feet (I recently became a big fan of the Foot Care Module from Rescue Essentials, no affiliation) - Best first aid for the feet is to keep them in walking condition. I keep active enough but the rare time as happened earlier this year, I got heal blisters real bad (to the point of almost crippling me) from a pair of hiking shoes that in years past, never bothered me. Since then, one of main goals is to keep my feet as toughened as possible. I am no Cody Lundin when it comes to walking barefoot outdoors but I am now to the point where walking on rough ground and gravel has calloused my feet enough that blisters are no longer a concern. I don't expect anyone else to do this but regular distance walking in your planned GH shoes is recommended.

Spare pair of well broken-in boots - A good pair of running shoes or lighweight hiking shoes is much better option. Heavy boots makes for a lot extra expended enenery . See this thread [color:#3366FF]http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&&Number=205727 from about 5 years ago, especially my post in regards to boot weight and energy expended over miles walked.[/color]

A full-size Leatherman - IMO, not needed. See above for reasoning.
Rain poncho or jacket - as in the list above, garbage bags can be a makeshift option.
A warm fleece - Depends on time of year. if the weather is cool enough for a fleece, chances are sister is wearing as weater or jacket to work already. Also the fleece adds bulk to a GHB.
Signal mirror - Not needed in an urban environment.
Spare glasses if she wears them
Dry clothes to wear, most especially socks - Debatable on the dry clothing unless it lightweight synthetic which usually takes less room then the cotton equivalent. Keep in mind, the sister may only walking 10-14 miles which for someone in average condition is very doable in a long day depending on detours etc. One extra pair of synthetic athletics socks is idea.
Spare sunglasses - Why? I can see having to have spare prescription glasses though.

On-Duty 6 in 1 Tool. Channel Lock 6 In 1 Model 88, 9" , HD , plier, cutter, pry bar , water/ gas shutoff and spanner wrench - Big, and heavy (almost 1 lb.) Is the average person going to know how to safely shutoff gas etc.

4 way Silcock wrench/tool - Single use tool. 5" Vice Grips mentioned above will open any Silcock equipped water pipe. Also vice grips have far more uses beyond this.

Small package of antibacterial wipes for wound & personal hygiene. - Watch which kind of wipes and where you wipe, especially for women. Ask my wife how she found out the painful way.

A gimmicky Stansport shovel, axe & saw, lightweight tool. - Not something I would include in my GHB bag due to size / weight and impractical use if my goal is to get home.

Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket, in High Vis Orange.

Pair of leather work gloves. Full on work gloves are bit bulky, however there are some smaller versions which have a leather palm section but the top and cuff are medium cotton. I use these type all the time for camping, gardening, wood chopping, tree clearing etc.

Metal cup to boil water - Not needed in an urban GHB.

Add in salty simple carbohydrates (i.e. pretzels) for on the move energy. - Energy bars would be a better option.

MISC:
Duct tape (gear repair - like shoes)
Pocket hone - Ditch it. Sister is interested in getting home in 12-14 hours. Any actual knife work required where the blade would rapidly dull would probably be minimal. Also probably does not know how to properly sharpen a knife anyway?

John Lubbock

#275887 - 07/22/15 12:18 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Cjoi Offline
Stranger

Loc: N Cal
Danny, your sister is lucky to have such a thoughtful sib!

Thanks for this thread. Lots of useful ideas for earthquake/GHBs.

#275888 - 07/22/15 01:51 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, Cjoi, Teslin and everyone. Tomorrow I'm going to scrub the packing list again. And a few more items will be delivered. The AMK wound care and foot care kits came today -- smaller and lighter than I expected. Think I'll be putting more bandages in. The Portland maps arrived along with little AMK duct tape rolls. Tomorrow the work gloves, trauma scissors and a couple other things should be delivered.

Love the idea of the foam pad -- especially the utility of being able to use it as a splint.

Was going to put this all in an old REI rucksack but tonight decided instead to get this light LL Bean "Stowaway" pack because it has outside bottle pockets and comes in bright yellow -- which I think would be wise if she's going to be walking on roadways.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86674?feat=1098-GN2&page=stowaway-day-pack

And I have a bunch of 32 oz Nalgenes so I'll throw another in -- wise counsel.

#275889 - 07/22/15 02:21 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Few things make my eyes cross quite like wading through all the Leatherman options.

#275890 - 07/22/15 02:50 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

REI has the Therm-a-Rest Z-Seat Pad, it's yellow. The blue foam bum pad Teslinhiker shared is on the MEC.ca website. Either would be nice to have, but probably not necessary in an urban walking kit.

Dagny -- you might think about one of the pads for your sister's winter car kit. Curious -- what kind/size FAK is in that car kit? You might want to generalize that kit rather than keeping it specifically winter. Just a thought.

#275891 - 07/22/15 03:30 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Teslinhiker]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Button compass - Not needed. I have been to Portland a few times with last being in 2009. I found Portland an easy city to find my way around in. Depending on weather, Mt. Hood will give a good indication of direction. Also with the Columbia River to the north and the Willamette River separting downtown Portland to the west and with Highway 5 along with 99 running east/west, I cannot see how anyone who has lived there any length of time, could get that lost. Also in the aftermath of the 2011 Japan earthquake, I recall seeing on the news, entire blocks of houses and buildings destroyed but there were still plenty of traffic direction and road/street signs that were untouched. I would suspect the same happens in any quake anywhere.

Considering how little room a button compass takes and how little it weighs, I disagree.

Quote:
(full-size) Leatherman - Already have a knife, a small set of standalone pliers or better yet, a 5" size vice grip is infinitely more versatile then the pliers on the Leatherman. Of all other tools on the Leatherman, what use in this scenario would they have.

I've fixed a lot of stuff with multitools. And opened a lot of silcocks. I'd sooner have those options than carry heavier tools with fewer uses.

Quote:
Spare pair of well broken-in boots - A good pair of running shoes or lighweight hiking shoes is much better option. Heavy boots makes for a lot extra expended energy.

Boots don't have to be heavy and they do a much better job of protecting ones feet on broken ground than running shoes. Considering how serious the consequences could be of a foot or ankle injury, I would go with boots.

Quote:
Rain poncho or jacket - [color:#3366FF]as in the list above, garbage bags can be a makeshift option.
A warm fleece - Depends on time of year. if the weather is cool enough for a fleece, chances are sister is wearing as weater or jacket to work already. Also the fleece adds bulk to a GHB.

Wet is cold. Cold is bad. Very easy to get wet and cold if stuck outdoors in Portland. I view these two items as essentials.

Quote:
Signal mirror - Not needed in an urban environmen

Too light and easy to carry to not have on the off chance it's important. A mirror can also help you treat a wound on a part of your body that isn't as easy to see.

#275892 - 07/22/15 03:39 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Teslinhiker, I'll stand by the heavy and gimmicky tools. Look back at Dagny's original post. The bag is proposed for the car and/or office. Those heavy tools are appropriate for those venues in rescue or recovery. They may be useable by others with more training , but less prep sense.

#275893 - 07/22/15 04:26 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: acropolis5]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Teslinhiker, I'll stand by the heavy and gimmicky tools. Look back at Dagny's original post. The bag is proposed for the car and/or office. Those heavy tools are appropriate for those venues in rescue or recovery. They may be useable by others with more training , but less prep sense.

I think you missed some important parts of Dagny's subsequent posts which what I based my comments on.
Originally Posted By: Dagny

she works at a hospital (administrative) so the first-aid component of the bag is oriented to her being elsewhere when the quake hits -- perhaps in a store or forced to abandon the car because of road/bridge damage.

My sister is pretty petite and not currently athletic (thin and not very strong) so pack weight is a major consideration.

The backpack that Dagny linked to is only 1,343 cu. in (22 liters) which is fairly small for a GHB. Also the backpack is stowaway / fold up type, so it will have minimal padding on the shoulder straps and none on the waist straps. A petite and non athletic person carrying about 10 -15 lbs for a possible 12-14 mile walk over a long period of hours will soon have pack fatigue which is why all my comments and suggestions were centered on keeping total weight to a minimum. This is why I also suggested shoes instead of boots. People do not realize how much energy goes into lifting your feet mile after mile, especially when wearing boots.

There are quite a number of hospitals in Portland but Dagny did not mention which one but that is fine. By many measurements, Portland is a small city compared to most USA cities and if you are not caught in the downtown area then you don't have worry as much about office towers etc falling and sending debris into the streets so shoes would work ok in other areas.

For example here, there is a hospital that is located in a largely residential area of single family homes and even with a large scale quake, the streets would still be passable on foot as the quake would not send a lot of house debris onto the street and road surface itself. Another hospital I know of is in a park like setting and the streets surrounding it are a mix of residential and light commercial type buildings with minimal danger of collapsing out onto the streets and roadways.

One other thing to keep in mind, earthquakes can be fickle and cause severe damage in some areas but a few blocks over, there is minimal damage such as was seen in the 1994 Northridge earthquake.

So that all said, everyone has their own ideas on what post earthquake GHB works for them. That includes me - but over the last year, I have very carefully vetted all the items I chose and firmly believe in the right tools for the task. I have also carried my 28 liter pack over some long urban distances and found out what seems like a good load of items on paper - does not always translate well to real world usefulness nor is always practical. Now that we are moving again in September, work will be about 7 miles closer so my GHB can and will be reevaluated again for that shorter distance.

John Lubbock

#275895 - 07/22/15 11:42 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Since I have so much extra stuff after a couple decades of camping and hiking (and a decade on ETS), including extra packs and jackets, I have just decided that I may at least get her started on a second bag -- so she'll have one for office and one for her car. The car stuff I put together for her a few years ago includes a Mora, fire stuff, etc. That could be the core of a second bag.

Will include in both packs an inventory of what's in there and why. Like many Oregonians, she's done some car camping so has some stuff, like camp stove and tent, at home.

#275896 - 07/22/15 11:43 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

This really is turning into a good discussion. All in all though, I guess it shows a fundamental dilemma with EDC. We all know it would be great to have instant access to all sorts of gear at any time. Yet in real life our EDC is pretty much limited to what we can fit inside our pockets and maybe a bag or backpack. All the while keeping in mind what is acceptable under the social and legal norms.

Given the circumstances I would say a 22L pack is just the right size for a smaller-framed female, maybe even at the upper limit. Right now I am looking at my backpack, which I carry daily to work. It's a 5.11 Rush 12 backpack with a 24L capacity. About the largest size I would consider practical for realistic EDC in an urban environment.

My Rush 12 is just big enough for a smallish laptop, a few books and a water bottle plus a minimalist survival kit. I have taken quite some time to come up with a compact but hopefully well rounded list of things I carry with me daily, as much as I can stuff inside the front pocket without adding too much bulk (under 2lbs all in all excluding the water bottle). It includes a basic FAK, my Leatherman Wave, flashlight, a couple of lighters, a small prybar and a few other assorted gadgets.

Honestly speaking, it is still very much minimalist. If suddenly caught in an earthquake zone I would much rather have some extra gear at hand. But then, even a minimalist kit carried on your person is a lot better than nothing. What good will that nice, big GHB in your office or car trunk do if by some chance you can't get to it in the first place?

There is also a big difference between EDC items that are actually useful on a day in, day our basis, such as a pocket knife or flashlight. That is the kind of stuff that you are likely to use regularly so EDC makes sense even if (thankfully) you never find yourself in a disaster situation.

However, in the event of a major earthquake you will likely need bigger, heavier, heavy duty gear that has little to no everyday utility in an urban environment. Like a full-sized crowbar, shovel, chain saw, axe, sledgehammer etc. That kind of equipment is what really comes in handy in an earthquake zone but it is far too bulky for EDC and isn't even found in many urban homes and apartments.

IMHO the only practical solution is to come up with a compact kit small enough for actual EDC and keep a larger, better stocked GHB in the car trunk, workplace or wherever else you spend most of the time when away from home. Also, keep in mind that many public buildings will have rescue tools of some sort placed somewhere strategically (or not) as part of contingency planning. At my workplace we keep a pretty good rescue kit with a fireaxe, pickaxe, heavy crowbar etc. Unfortunately, the last time I checked it was locked up in the basement, so not quite within immediate reach. But it is something well worth checking out, I'm sure a hospital would have similar equipment stashed somewhere.

#275901 - 07/22/15 09:10 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Teslinhiker]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Metal cup to boil water - Not needed in an urban GHB.

Probably not needed in the strict sense of the word, but I think the the psychological boost of stopping, resting and having a "cuppa" during a 12-14 hour (or longer) trek is well worth it. But then, maybe that is something I inherited from Mom's English heritage. . . grin

#276074 - 08/04/15 07:17 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good points - Spread out your gear; edc, backpack, at desk/locker in a small duffel, in car. Depending on what has happened, time of year, etc. I like to be able to choose my set-up.

#276095 - 08/05/15 03:19 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
... has a ham radio operator license

Why not add something like a BaoFeng BF-F8HP 8W High Power VHF/UHF Ham Two-way Radio, available for $63 on Amazon? It's amazingly tiny and lightweight, and I'd expect your sister could probably make good use of it.

Edited by JeffMc (08/05/15 04:24 PM)

#276097 - 08/05/15 03:45 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: bws48]
JeffMc Offline

Originally Posted By: bws48
Probably not needed in the strict sense of the word, but I think the the psychological boost of stopping, resting and having a "cuppa" during a 12-14 hour (or longer) trek is well worth it. ...

I agree. It is an excellent antidote to being caught off guard or rattled by an unexpected calamitous turn of events. It helps raise morale, especially when cold, wet and maybe a bit shocky, and allows a little time to settle the nerves, think through the situation, and plan an effective course of action. Also, even if the owner doesn't need it, it's still a means of effective psychological first aid that can be offered to someone else who does.

One of the best pieces of disaster/survival advice I ever heard was "don't just do something, sit there!" Our most important survival tool is our brain, and our most important survival preparation is a good plan. But these usually need just a little time to become fully operative.

In addition to the boiling cup, might it be worth adding a tiny 1 oz. home-made or Trangia alcohol burner and a small plastic bottle of denatured alcohol (which has multiple uses)?

Edited by JeffMc (08/05/15 04:49 PM)

#276100 - 08/05/15 04:21 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Teslinhiker]
JeffMc Offline

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
...Those heavy tools are appropriate for those venues in rescue or recovery. They may be useable by others with more training , but less prep sense.

A petite and non athletic person carrying about 10 -15 lbs for a possible 12-14 mile walk over a long period of hours will soon have pack fatigue which is why all my comments and suggestions were centered on keeping total weight to a minimum.

There's no rule that requires you to take everything you have with you on a long walk to safety. I have a few basic rescue tools and other items in or with my BOB/GHB that I expect would be very useful in some some situations, but not others, and I plan to cull through my kit and leave any unnecessary gear behind before walking any appreciable distance with it. Hopefully, I'll be able to leave things in my trunk or other reasonably secure location and recover them later.

Also, although my bag is only about 2400cc, it does have a real internal frame and load-bearing hip belt. I'm not a fan of daypacks that suspend all the weight from my shoulders, if I plan on walking very far. I have used the pack from my kit for backpacking trips several times, and it proved quite comfortable for long miles while well laden.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 480 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.