The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#275882 - 07/21/15 06:11 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Good point. IIRC Dagny is using extras from her own stash to build this kit and that's one reason the Mora knife was included; I think Dagny likes Mora's. A lot of the gear we are recommending will mean an outlay of $$$ rather than taking stuff out of storage. After all is said though, implementation of the EQ kit is up to sis', mindset and work situation will factor in.

Another point to consider is that a woman can drop a medium SAK in her purse and not raise an eyebrow -- instant EDC... unless she's getting on a plane at the airport. Mora's and other FB knives might not fit in as well for EDC.

OTOH, Leatherman HQ is in Portland, near where the I-5 bypass crosses the Columbia river, so a LM multi-tool may be a good way to go, it being local. wink

#275883 - 07/21/15 08:21 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
This is a great discussion, thank you all. Six Amazon packages came today so it is coming together. Before I ship it out I'll take photos of the contents and will post those here. Will be a few more days.

The Mora knife is indeed a hand-me-down. In fact it is one of the "Light-my-Fire" versions that came out a few years ago and has a firesteel in the handle. Not a terribly robust blade but it's a stainless steel, lightweight, capable package. And it's paid for.... ;-)

As I envision her using this as a get-home bag, I imagine what she may encounter. I anticipate that she would happen upon situations in which other people will need help and she will want to be of assistance. Cutting seatbelts and clothing and providing bandages may well be part of that. The ability to write names/phone #s/e-mails may be part of that if someone stranded wants her to relay a message. Or if she wants them to relay a message for her.

I'm undecided on the compass question. Was looking at Suunto's more basic models. More important is the paper map. She'll be in familiar urban-suburban terrain and if Mt. Hood is visible she'll have at least rough bearings. Figured the button compass is super lightweight and better than nothing.

After she receives the bag I'm going to talk her through it. I'll encourage her to have such bags in her car and office. The little bag she has in her car now is winter-oriented.

In the "Really Big One" planners expect that two-thirds of the hospitals in western Oregon will be unusable. Hopefully my sister's will be in the other third.

#275884 - 07/21/15 09:32 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Suunto makes a decent miniature compass. It's called Clipper and looks like a slightly bigger, more robust button compass. It is better made than no-name button compasses and could be a good choice. You can also attach it to a watch strap, which is a handy feature.

As long as your sister is staying in a familiar environment there is little chance that she would need a compass in the event of a natural disaster. It could be helpful in near zero visibility though (fog, dust or at night), so from that point of view carrying a miniature compass would make sense.

As far as adding a seatbelt cutter, I noticed there is a Leatherman on your list already. Many mid- to large-sized LM multitools have a highly effective sheepsfoot serrated blade. The one on my Wave does an outstanding job cutting cordage and the blunt tip is a good safety feature if used as a seatbelt cutter.

#275885 - 07/21/15 10:03 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

On the back of the serrated blade of the Leatherman Charge TTI is a cutting hook. You'd need to be careful with the serrated blade and what it was running across as you used the hook to cut a seatbelt, but there it is. A dedicated strap cutter is nice but a full size multi-tool is hard to misplace inside a small kit. I've got the Charge TTI -- Ti handle, S30V knife, lots of useful stuff -- nice tool.

#275886 - 07/22/15 12:03 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Interesting thread and some good ideas.

Here is my culled take on it based on all the suggestions and also based on my urban GHB which is designed for this same scenario.

Note that I listed all the suggestions into one big list that originated with Dagny's. For clarity and brevity, I removed most of the duplicate suggested items and original accompanying comments then added my comments. Feel free to counter comment smile

Any items and comments I added are in blue.

Portland map - Paper map is the best idea. No need to worry about a cellphone battery dying or other post quake communication problems.

Button compass - Not needed. I have been to Portland a few times with last being in 2009. I found Portland an easy city to find my way around in. Depending on weather, Mt. Hood will give a good indication of direction. Also with the Columbia River to the north and the Willamette River separting downtown Portland to the west and with Highway 5 along with 99 running east/west, I cannot see how anyone who has lived there any length of time, could get that lost. Also in the aftermath of the 2011 Japan earthquake, I recall seeing on the news, entire blocks of houses and buildings destroyed but there were still plenty of traffic direction and road/street signs that were untouched. I would suspect the same happens in any quake anywhere.

AM-FM radio + extra AA batteries - Great idea. Keep in mind that any local radio station will probably be off the air and people will have to rely on distant stations and as in all disaster events, the initial news and reports is sketchy at best.

FIRST-AID
Adventure Medical “Wound-Care” kit
assorted large bandages, non-stick pads, gauze, tape
sanitary napkins (4)
eyedrops/wash
meds (ibuprofen, aspirin, benadryl)
Foot powder- As the sister may be walking 10-14 miles, a small plastic bottle of foot powder is a good addition, especially for those who may encounter hot spots on their feet from walking/moisture etc. The bottle I have is about 2 inches high by 3/4/ wide and deep.

LIGHT
Petzl e-lite headlamp
Fenix E-20 (uses one AA battery) + extra battery

WATER
32 oz Nalgene canteen
Rothco canteen carrying pouch
Micropur tablets
Collapsible water bottle - Depending on time of year, 32 oz of water is not a lot for somone who maybe on foot for 12-24 hours. The problem with adding on more water is that it is heavy and bulky. We could assume that the sister would be at the hospital when the quake happens and maybe able to get some more water before pressure is lost completely or the hospital has a backup water system or stored bottle water. Even so, I would add a collapsible water bottle to the kit. These bottles weigh next to nothing and when folded, take up no room.

FOOD
energy bars (2)- Not enough for someone who maybe walking in some possible adverse conditions like winter cold and rain for 12-14 hours.
Mixed nuts - Ensure your body is used to these. I cannot eat mixed nuts without a long term and short intake introduction to them otherwise I get the worst gut aches.

hard candies - I initially wanted to say skip these as there is there is only the sugar to give you a quick boost of energy but that energy will come crashing down just as fast as the sugar high wears off. However a handful of hard candies may give a bit of a moral boost so leave them in the kit.

FIRE
BIC lighter (wrapped in hot pink duct tape)
REI Stormproof matches
mini-firesteel, scraper & cotton balls & Vaseline lip/skin balm (petroleum jelly) - Scrap the firesteel, there are already matches and lighters for firestarting. Also if someone is not versed in lighting fires with a firesteel, it could be a futile effort in terms of time, energy and frustration wise.
tea-light candle- Ditch it. Instead include a votive style candle or a 6" inch sized. Either one, wrap in plastic wrap to keep clean.

TOOLS
fixed blade knife (Morakniv)
mini pry-bar - Stanley 7-1/2-Inch model is the best balance between size/weight and usefulness.
gas & water shut-off -Cannot think where an inexperienced person would ever attempt to shutoff gas. Also if they did, the shutoff tool needs to be brass, aluminum etc so it will create any sparks if it comes into contact with steel gas pipe.

seatbelt cutter - Not needed if the person has the above knife.
mini-Leatherman - Already have a knife, a small set of standalone pliers or better yet, a 5" size vice grip is infinitely more versatile then the pliers on the Leatherman. Of all other tools on the Leatherman, what use in this scenario would they have.
first-aid scissors - Debatable. Already have a knife that will cut any fabric.

WARMTH
chemical hand-warmers (4)
AMK Heatsheet
garbage bags (2) -- makeshift poncho
Blue foam bum pad - By far, one of the best - if not the best outdoors related product I have ever purchased. These thin and very lightweight pads have so many uses other then their original purpose. They can be placed into the back or back of a jacket to block wind and help warm the body. Used in the front of a backpack to keep pointy objects from protruding into your back. Used as is as a roll up splint for a broken leg or can be cut up for a broken arm splint - I have personally seen this in a mountain rescue. Used to help fan a stubborn fire to catch and much more.

MISC
Kleenex packets (2) - Ditch it. For more versatility, add some folded paper towels into a zip lock bag. The paper towels do not need to be the real thick type as the thinner types fold and pack better.
Storm whistle
N-95 mask
bandannas (2)
hiking pole - Debatable depending on route and area of Portland. Also the earthquake will bring down a lot of trees. Pretty easy to snap off a small branch and improvise a walking stick.

550 paracord
work gloves
moleskine notebook + pen + Sharpie
cash ($20 in ones) - Add at least 3x that much.

Phone charger, hopefully for her smartphone that has local topo maps on it - Yes for the phone charger but keep in mind cell service maybe completely non-existent for days/weeks. See above in regards to phone vs maps for route finding.

First aid materials for feet (I recently became a big fan of the Foot Care Module from Rescue Essentials, no affiliation) - Best first aid for the feet is to keep them in walking condition. I keep active enough but the rare time as happened earlier this year, I got heal blisters real bad (to the point of almost crippling me) from a pair of hiking shoes that in years past, never bothered me. Since then, one of main goals is to keep my feet as toughened as possible. I am no Cody Lundin when it comes to walking barefoot outdoors but I am now to the point where walking on rough ground and gravel has calloused my feet enough that blisters are no longer a concern. I don't expect anyone else to do this but regular distance walking in your planned GH shoes is recommended.

Spare pair of well broken-in boots - A good pair of running shoes or lighweight hiking shoes is much better option. Heavy boots makes for a lot extra expended enenery . See this thread [color:#3366FF]http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&&Number=205727 from about 5 years ago, especially my post in regards to boot weight and energy expended over miles walked.[/color]

A full-size Leatherman - IMO, not needed. See above for reasoning.
Rain poncho or jacket - as in the list above, garbage bags can be a makeshift option.
A warm fleece - Depends on time of year. if the weather is cool enough for a fleece, chances are sister is wearing as weater or jacket to work already. Also the fleece adds bulk to a GHB.
Signal mirror - Not needed in an urban environment.
Spare glasses if she wears them
Dry clothes to wear, most especially socks - Debatable on the dry clothing unless it lightweight synthetic which usually takes less room then the cotton equivalent. Keep in mind, the sister may only walking 10-14 miles which for someone in average condition is very doable in a long day depending on detours etc. One extra pair of synthetic athletics socks is idea.
Spare sunglasses - Why? I can see having to have spare prescription glasses though.

On-Duty 6 in 1 Tool. Channel Lock 6 In 1 Model 88, 9" , HD , plier, cutter, pry bar , water/ gas shutoff and spanner wrench - Big, and heavy (almost 1 lb.) Is the average person going to know how to safely shutoff gas etc.

4 way Silcock wrench/tool - Single use tool. 5" Vice Grips mentioned above will open any Silcock equipped water pipe. Also vice grips have far more uses beyond this.

Small package of antibacterial wipes for wound & personal hygiene. - Watch which kind of wipes and where you wipe, especially for women. Ask my wife how she found out the painful way.

A gimmicky Stansport shovel, axe & saw, lightweight tool. - Not something I would include in my GHB bag due to size / weight and impractical use if my goal is to get home.

Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket, in High Vis Orange.

Pair of leather work gloves. Full on work gloves are bit bulky, however there are some smaller versions which have a leather palm section but the top and cuff are medium cotton. I use these type all the time for camping, gardening, wood chopping, tree clearing etc.

Metal cup to boil water - Not needed in an urban GHB.

Add in salty simple carbohydrates (i.e. pretzels) for on the move energy. - Energy bars would be a better option.

MISC:
Duct tape (gear repair - like shoes)
Pocket hone - Ditch it. Sister is interested in getting home in 12-14 hours. Any actual knife work required where the blade would rapidly dull would probably be minimal. Also probably does not know how to properly sharpen a knife anyway?

John Lubbock

#275887 - 07/22/15 12:18 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Cjoi Offline
Stranger

Loc: N Cal
Danny, your sister is lucky to have such a thoughtful sib!

Thanks for this thread. Lots of useful ideas for earthquake/GHBs.

#275888 - 07/22/15 01:51 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, Cjoi, Teslin and everyone. Tomorrow I'm going to scrub the packing list again. And a few more items will be delivered. The AMK wound care and foot care kits came today -- smaller and lighter than I expected. Think I'll be putting more bandages in. The Portland maps arrived along with little AMK duct tape rolls. Tomorrow the work gloves, trauma scissors and a couple other things should be delivered.

Love the idea of the foam pad -- especially the utility of being able to use it as a splint.

Was going to put this all in an old REI rucksack but tonight decided instead to get this light LL Bean "Stowaway" pack because it has outside bottle pockets and comes in bright yellow -- which I think would be wise if she's going to be walking on roadways.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86674?feat=1098-GN2&page=stowaway-day-pack

And I have a bunch of 32 oz Nalgenes so I'll throw another in -- wise counsel.

#275889 - 07/22/15 02:21 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Few things make my eyes cross quite like wading through all the Leatherman options.

#275890 - 07/22/15 02:50 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

REI has the Therm-a-Rest Z-Seat Pad, it's yellow. The blue foam bum pad Teslinhiker shared is on the MEC.ca website. Either would be nice to have, but probably not necessary in an urban walking kit.

Dagny -- you might think about one of the pads for your sister's winter car kit. Curious -- what kind/size FAK is in that car kit? You might want to generalize that kit rather than keeping it specifically winter. Just a thought.

#275891 - 07/22/15 03:30 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Teslinhiker]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Button compass - Not needed. I have been to Portland a few times with last being in 2009. I found Portland an easy city to find my way around in. Depending on weather, Mt. Hood will give a good indication of direction. Also with the Columbia River to the north and the Willamette River separting downtown Portland to the west and with Highway 5 along with 99 running east/west, I cannot see how anyone who has lived there any length of time, could get that lost. Also in the aftermath of the 2011 Japan earthquake, I recall seeing on the news, entire blocks of houses and buildings destroyed but there were still plenty of traffic direction and road/street signs that were untouched. I would suspect the same happens in any quake anywhere.

Considering how little room a button compass takes and how little it weighs, I disagree.

Quote:
(full-size) Leatherman - Already have a knife, a small set of standalone pliers or better yet, a 5" size vice grip is infinitely more versatile then the pliers on the Leatherman. Of all other tools on the Leatherman, what use in this scenario would they have.

I've fixed a lot of stuff with multitools. And opened a lot of silcocks. I'd sooner have those options than carry heavier tools with fewer uses.

Quote:
Spare pair of well broken-in boots - A good pair of running shoes or lighweight hiking shoes is much better option. Heavy boots makes for a lot extra expended energy.

Boots don't have to be heavy and they do a much better job of protecting ones feet on broken ground than running shoes. Considering how serious the consequences could be of a foot or ankle injury, I would go with boots.

Quote:
Rain poncho or jacket - [color:#3366FF]as in the list above, garbage bags can be a makeshift option.
A warm fleece - Depends on time of year. if the weather is cool enough for a fleece, chances are sister is wearing as weater or jacket to work already. Also the fleece adds bulk to a GHB.

Wet is cold. Cold is bad. Very easy to get wet and cold if stuck outdoors in Portland. I view these two items as essentials.

Quote:
Signal mirror - Not needed in an urban environmen

Too light and easy to carry to not have on the off chance it's important. A mirror can also help you treat a wound on a part of your body that isn't as easy to see.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 502 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.