Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#275868 - 07/20/15 03:48 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Nice kit!

Maybe I missed it, but how about a (metal) cup to boil water and maybe have some tea/coffee/soup etc.? Personally, I like a GI canteen cup, but there are lots of alternatives. . .

#275869 - 07/20/15 04:41 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: bws48]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: bws48
Nice kit!

Maybe I missed it, but how about a (metal) cup to boil water and maybe have some tea/coffee/soup etc.? Personally, I like a GI canteen cup, but there are lots of alternatives. . .

BWS - I've been mulling that over, it's little weight with a lot of functionality.

I put a titanium sierra cup in the kit I gave my sister a few years ago, the one she says she still keeps in her car.

With this backpack I'm envisioning her being stuck somewhere in the metropolitan area -- at work, a store or on a road -- and having to walk all or much of the way home. Probably 10-15 miles.

Depending on the weather, I figure 32 ounces of water, some snacks and some cash can get her that far within 12-24 hours.

You've probably nudged me into adding another steel cup. ;-)

I'm keeping an inventory of this bag and will ask her for an inventory of what she currently keeps in her car.

I wish she'd keep a bicycle at work.

#275871 - 07/20/15 08:17 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Nalgene bottle nesting in a Snow Peak Trek 700 is a great way to go. Water storage with a mug to boil it. Add a pack of her favorite instant soup -- instant pick-me-up. Maybe pick up a Ti spoon and fork while you're there...

#275872 - 07/20/15 08:30 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
A couple of comments keeping in mind your "With this backpack I'm envisioning her being stuck somewhere in the metropolitan area -- at work, a store or on a road -- and having to walk all or much of the way home. Probably 10-15 miles." comment.

NAVIGATION:
*Replace the button compass with a hikers baseplate compass. The additional weight and bulk is more then offset by increased accuracy and quality.
*Earbuds consume a lot less power then external speakers on radios. The minimal cost, bulk, and weight of a pair of basic ones will be offset by the extended battery life.

FIRST AID:
*She's may be covering a lot of distance on foot. Athletic tape, second skin, and mole skin will cut down on foot and knee strain and blisters.

FOOD:
*Add in salty simple carbohydrates (i.e. pretzels) for on the move energy. High protien and fat foods tend to sit in your stomach while you're moving

TOOLS:
*Replace the FB knife, seat belt cutter, and mini-leatherman with a medium or full size Leatherman or SAK. There's not much need for a FB knife in urban/suburban environs, the seatbelt cutter function is already made redundant by EMT shears, and the mini-leathermans are light to medium use only. A medium or full size MT or SAK is going to provide the most punch for it's bulk.

MISC:
*Duct tape (gear repair - like shoes)
*Pocket hone
*Cell charger (If the radio has a jack for a 5-6V AC adaptor, it can also be run off of a 5V USB power source using an adaptor)

HOME:
*Strap any tall furniture to the wall. You spend more time at home then at work. So, your chances of getting squashed to death under a toppled bookshelf or dresser is better then at your desk.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275875 - 07/21/15 02:54 AM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Thanks, Russ and Mark. Hadn't thought of the earbuds. Not sure I have a hand-me-down big Leatherman but do have a SAK I don't use.

Thanks, all. Work gloves are on order, too.

#275877 - 07/21/15 01:14 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Mark_R]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Mark_R

NAVIGATION:
*Replace the button compass with a hikers baseplate compass. The additional weight and bulk is more then offset by increased accuracy and quality.

This made me think a bit. Your sister will have her phone. Assuming it is GPS enabled, perhaps she should download area maps (for off line use if no data service)and use one of the free GPS programs to geotag important locations (home, work, other useful places).

Even if there is no cell service and all power is out, the satellites will still be working. And with the right program, it will give her a simple pointer of the correct direction from wherever she is.

The thing that concerns me about compasses is that it takes some skill and record keeping to keep on track from a known point to a desired point. In a post earthquake city, that may be more difficult due to blocked streets, and areas that must be avoided (fire, flood etc. etc.) Also, I don't know how all the steel in the buildings might affect the accuracy of a compass.

Sadly, I can't recommend such a program (I use one oriented toward my walking time/distance/speed), but I seem to remember a thread a year or so ago discussing such programs.

In any case, I agree a proper compass as suggested is to be preferred to a button compass.

#275878 - 07/21/15 02:19 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: bws48]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Re: navigation, I think a button compass is an OK choice in that sort of situation. A baseplate compass is better but a lot bulkier and hardly practical for a really small, compact survival kit intended for actual EDC.

Either way, I wouldn't put a compass very high on my priority list in an earthquake scenario. Might come in handy for sure, but so would many other tools and gadgets that simply cannot be carried on one's person on a day in, day out basis.

#275879 - 07/21/15 02:56 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Mark_R]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
TOOLS:
*Replace the FB knife, seat belt cutter, and mini-leatherman with a medium or full size Leatherman or SAK. There's not much need for a FB knife in urban/suburban environs

Also, I would disagree (quite strongly) with the above recommendation. Carrying a fixed blade knife may not be possible in an urban environment but if you happen to have one at hand it will be a tremendous asset in a SHTF situation.

If disaster strikes getting hold of the right tools for the job is likely to be very difficult. A robust fixed blade weighs little, can be carried easily yet can take care of many different tasks. Including the heavy duty stuff such as prying doors, breaking locks, smashing car glass, removing rubble etc. This is where a sharpened prybar type of knife like the Cold Steel SRK, Gerber LMF or even the good old Kabar really shines. But I would take even a Mora over a multitool or folder any day for that kind of work.

#275880 - 07/21/15 04:38 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There are many combinations of tools that might work depending on the specifics of the disaster and where you happen to be. This is one reason I try to keep a decent kit in the truck (it is always nearby) and then have pocket-carry that will suffice to get to the truck. If Dagny's sister parks outside rather than in a parking garage her situation is very similar. Being in SOCAL, an EQ is always a consideration.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that Dagny's sister is not Dagny; she is unlikely to carry stuff "just in case". I would concentrate on EDC gear she might find useful during the workday rather than building an EQ specific kit. The right SAK could be useful for sister's urban EDC. I seriously doubt a sharpened prybar would be of any use other than during an emergency, so would probably not be carried at all. I would put EQ specific gear in the car kit, and focus on getting to the car.

#275881 - 07/21/15 05:11 PM Re: Earthquake Kit - recs? [Re: Dagny]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Much agreed. However, Dagny has included a fixed blade knife in the kit already so I suppose there was good reason for that decision in the first place.

Also, if one is realistically planning to EDC a metal cup, rain poncho, spare boots and whatnot on top of everything on Dagny's list the supposed extra bulk of a good fixed blade becomes a moot point. Heck, even a SRK is only 10" overall and 8oz. Probably less than the combined weight of the Mora and mini prybar and could easily replace both.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 522 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.