Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#275741 - 07/11/15 05:10 AM How much halotron for your car?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I have a new car -- a boring sedan, not a sports car. No, not even in an exciting color. But I'm thinking I should have a fire extinguisher in case things go south. Or in case I see a car on fire by the side of the road. I looked up Amazon, and they have fire extinguisher of various sizes:

1.4 lbs
2.5 lbs
5 lbs
11 lbs

How much do I need? I'm inclined towards the 1.4 lbs, because I don't have that much space in the cab. (Yes, I'm going to find a secure way to mount it to something sturdy. I won't leave it around so it could turn into a cannon ball in a crash.) Would 1.4 lbs be enough "for most situations" in a car fire?

#275743 - 07/11/15 08:25 AM Re: How much halotron for your car? [Re: Bingley]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
None.

If you have a fire in your car, run away.

Only use a fire extinguisher for someone else's car, then bigger is better.

Buy the biggest you can live with, cost, where you will store it and utility for example.

Bear in mind you will probably never use it during its service life.

#275744 - 07/11/15 10:19 AM Re: How much halotron for your car? [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Small ones are like really small and have very little capability. In most cases getting away is better.

If you do get a extinguisher and plan to save the car, make sure you do not use powder. Spraying powder in a engine bay is a good way to ruining it forever. (the salts get everywhere and corrodes contacts).

#275747 - 07/11/15 12:38 PM Re: How much halotron for your car? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Good advice above. Any fire in a car, don't be in that car. Also, remember the Golden Rule of fighting a fire for non-professionals: if you can't knock it down with a single fire extinguisher, drop said fire extinguisher and make your escape.

#275749 - 07/11/15 01:21 PM Re: How much halotron for your car? [Re: Tjin]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Tjin
If you do get a extinguisher and plan to save the car, make sure you do not use powder. Spraying powder in a engine bay is a good way to ruining it forever. (the salts get everywhere and corrodes contacts).

I have not owned or used their products; according to the web site, these are designed for cars. I'm only positing this to let you know what's out there.

http://www.h3rperformance.com/

Jeanette Isabelle

#275750 - 07/11/15 01:32 PM Re: How much halotron for your car? [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I just recalled a real life situation.

As a woman is driving, a fire ignites under the hood. I don't know the details. She immediately recalls there's a sleeping bag in the trunk. She uses the sleeping bag to snuff out the fire before it does major damage.

Jeanette Isabelle

#275757 - 07/11/15 06:14 PM Re: How much halotron for your car? [Re: Bingley]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Bingley: I drive a sm/./med. SUV crossover. I've always kept a 2.5 lb. ABC fire extinguisher under my driver's seat, held in by flapping the rear mat. The higher floor side walls and seat bottom form the rest of the "box". I've been in several unavoidable crashes over the last many decades and it's never been dislodged, albeit none were rollover crashes. I like having it accessible to the driver in case he/ she is trapped in the burning hulk, after a crash. P.S. Get one with a metal tip .

Edited by acropolis5 (07/11/15 06:18 PM)

#275758 - 07/11/15 06:25 PM Re: How much halotron for your car? [Re: Bingley]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
By the time the flames are visible from outside, the damage is already done and the vehicle is usually a write-off. Evacuate the vehicle and move everyone to a safe distance. However, if you're trying to stop the spread of the flames in order to buy some time to extricate a person trapped in the car, go for it - a bigger extinguisher is better.

#275764 - 07/12/15 01:28 AM Re: How much halotron for your car? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I used to have an an ABC fire extinguisher in the trunk because it's cheap. But then I changed my mind about it. Here's why:

1. Fire extinguisher powder is corrosive and generally awful for the electronics in the car. You spray it on the engine and you might as well junk the car -- or so I've been told.

2. The trunk fire extinguisher is really for other people's fire. I'm willing to change my mind, though, but it seems to me that if your car is on fire because you've been in an accident, you may not be able to get to the trunk in time.

So now I'm thinking of mounting a halotron extinguisher inside the cab. (Halotron is not corrosive, and can be used on electronics.) The problem is that can be expensive. Halotron is not cheap to start with ($100-$140 for 1.4 or 2.5 lbs, depending on the brand). Mounting securely inside the cab can be a challenge.

I'm trying H3R's universal mount, but it's not that universal! smile You are supposed to be able to attach it to the seat sliders, but I think I'll need smaller nuts and bolts. That is not optimal because I don't want to use hardware that is smaller than the holes they need to go through.

#275780 - 07/13/15 04:14 PM Re: How much halotron for your car? [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I think Halotron is the replacement gas for Halon (?) Back a few decades ago, when I was on the fire fighting team at our manufacturing location, we had some Halon dump systems in the expensive electronics rooms. While Halon is great for putting out fires in enclosed spaces, it is also good for putting out people who happen to be trying to breathe in that enclosed room. As fire fighters, we had full protective gear including air packs, but the general lab occupants doing their daily work did not. So all those Halon systems were eventually ripped out of our electronic test rooms, for safety reasons. Be sure and do your research before attempting to mount a fire suppression system inside an enclosed space (like your car). In the event of a car fire, I would recommend opening the car door and leaving, rather than sitting inside and waiting for your fire suppression system to kick off and save you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.