Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#275161 - 05/18/15 06:21 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Doug's in the media again. This time with an AP article on the hodge podge of knife/weapons laws and definitions. The article is fallout from the Freddie Gray debacle.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/varying-knife-laws-can-confuse-across-state-local-lines/ar-BBjUh1u

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275163 - 05/18/15 06:59 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The large variation in knife carry laws in any given state just drives me nuts. Keep doing the good work, Doug!

#275180 - 05/21/15 12:31 AM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: Bingley]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Doug, how is your New York case going?

#275192 - 05/24/15 08:46 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: acropolis5]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Doug, how is your New York case going?

Awaiting a ruling by the Appeals Court on the standing issue.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#275197 - 05/25/15 05:57 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Doug R - Great job to keep pushing for freedom.
It's very important in America now.
Keep up the great work.

Bingley - IF you carry a knife with a sharp point, then someone in the General Public will perceive it to be a "weapon". Whether or not you intend this, somebody will see it that way. BUT a good practical solution is to get a survival knife that has a sharp edge, but it does not have a sharp point. Such models exist. Such a knife is much more likely to be perceived as a Survival Tool and not a weapon.

good luck!
Pete

#275200 - 05/25/15 10:01 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: Pete]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Pete
BUT a good practical solution is to get a survival knife that has a sharp edge, but it does not have a sharp point. Such models exist. Such a knife is much more likely to be perceived as a Survival Tool and not a weapon.

You'll have to qualify that statement. It depends on the location. In any urban of California, any sharp edged object is going to be perceived as a weapon. People act like I just pulled out a lightsaber when I pull out my little 3-inch blade, and it turns a big conversation every time. It's pathetic, but that's where society is.

My mode of operation is to get the legal knife I want and conceal it. I don't even pull out my knife in public to open up a box if I can use something else (e.g., keys or a strong pen).

#275201 - 05/25/15 10:18 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: ireckon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Careful, carrying a concealed knife in CA may be a problem. Where specifically in CA is it recommended to carry your knife concealed? I carry my locking folder (BM 940 or 710 depending) clipped to my right front pocket so that it is visible and not concealed.

OT backstory: Shortly after buying the 940 I had an opportunity to meet one of Kern County's finest and found myself on the receiving end of a Terry Search. The deputy found the knife visually and left it clipped in my pocket. If the knife or manner of carry were illegal or questionable I'd have found out at that point.
(The reason for the stop was bogus, but suffice to say I left the scene driving my own vehicle with no ticket, summons or warning. "Sorry for taking your time". I racked it up to s**t happens.

#275227 - 05/27/15 12:46 AM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: Russ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
In California, it's legal to carry a folding knife concealed. Open carrying a folding knife would be unusual here, and I personally have never seen anybody do that. You must carry a fixed blade open (e.g., knife sheath on belt).

http://www.shouselaw.com/california-knife-laws.html

Originally Posted By: Russ
I carry my locking folder (BM 940 or 710 depending) clipped to my right front pocket so that it is visible and not concealed.

If the knife is inside the pocket with the clip outside, then that's considered concealed, especially if your shirt falls over the knife at any time. By the way, when I'm confused about what's legal, I prefer to consult a lawyer, not a police officer.

#275238 - 05/27/15 06:05 PM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: ireckon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks, excellent info at the link. I recalled the open carry aspect, but forgot it applied to fixed blades.

#275239 - 05/28/15 05:31 AM Re: Knife Rights Fight - Doug R.Gets Media Mention [Re: brandtb]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"If the knife is inside the pocket with the clip outside, then that's considered concealed, especially if your shirt falls over the knife at any time. By the way, when I'm confused about what's legal, I prefer to consult a lawyer, not a police officer."

Thanks for clarifying that.
I had a mistaken impression - I thought that type of carry with a folding knife was "open". I appreciate the update.

Pete

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.