Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#274749 - 04/03/15 05:04 PM Two months on a capsized boat
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/man-...cid=mailsignout

Quote:
A man reported missing at sea two months ago was rescued on the overturned hull of his sailboat off the North Carolina coast, and he walked away from a hospital hours later in good condition, with no signs of sunburn, dehydration or other ailments.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#274750 - 04/03/15 06:47 PM Re: Two months on a capsized boat [Re: Mark_R]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Either he was exceptionally prepared and skilled, or it is a hoax.

#274752 - 04/03/15 10:28 PM Re: Two months on a capsized boat [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
There's a lot of that going around the internet. I think we'll have to wait a couple of days/weeks for the facts to come through. I don't think the media is reporting it accurately.

My gut check says that his boat got knocked down and either partially or entirely demasted. But, it's counterintuative to me that a 70 year old single hull keelboat would stay capsized and afloat for two months. I've sailed small keelboats that had enough flotation foam to do that, but unless he had retrofitted the boat with a couple hundred cubic feet of it, I wouldn't place money on it stayup afloat. I think the boat righted itself after the knockdown.

He had no emergency communications equipment (EPIRB or PLB), and his regular electronics didn't survive the knockdown.

If the boat remained upright and habitable (after bailing), it would go a long way to explaining his apparent good health. He would have shelter and stores of food and water in addition to what he caught and collected.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#274753 - 04/03/15 11:23 PM Re: Two months on a capsized boat [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, too much not being reported. I don't see how you stay alive for 2 months on a capsized 35 ft hull, that just doesn't work. Floating around on a demasted boat however makes sense. I just don't get people who go blue water with limited comm/signaling/survival gear. That said, I'll wait for more/better info.

#274754 - 04/04/15 12:17 AM Re: Two months on a capsized boat [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Same old story = early, superficial reporting with no depth. 60 days is a long time on just water and fish (what, no chocolate?) but folks have survived at sea for far longer....

#274755 - 04/04/15 01:06 AM Re: Two months on a capsized boat [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Same old story = early, superficial reporting with no depth. ....
Yeah, that's what it sounds like.

A bit more info plus some informed speculation in this article. It sounds like he survived at least in part by eating food he had aboard the boat.
Quote:
The reports that Jordan was found sitting on the “overturned hull of his 35ft boat” and that he lived on “just rainwater and raw fish” do not appear to be anywhere close to accurate. Coast Guard spokesperson Lt Krystyn Pecora said Jordan survived eating the food he had on his boat, by collecting rain water and using a net to catch fish. She said he managed to stay hydrated by going inside his boat’s cabin a lot. Pecora said there were conflicting reports on whether Jordan’s boat capsized, but she said the boat was upright when they found it.

Surviving 66 days in a dismasted and badly damaged, but still upright 35 foot boat is much more plausible. Just being able to get inside the cabin and out of the sun would help a lot.

#274756 - 04/04/15 03:40 AM Re: Two months on a capsized boat [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Good article. The comments are especially pertinent and interesting.

#274758 - 04/04/15 03:05 PM Re: Two months on a capsized boat [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Good article. Now that the boat was identified as a (Pearson Yachts built) Alberg 35, and that it was upright (as we suspected), the survival story makes much more sense. Just about any boat can be knocked over if you hit it with a big enough wave. A good sailboat (a good design with a reputable builder) will right itself -- which is what happened in this case. If the boat had been well stocked with food he could have continued on much longer.

What we have here is a guy who had less experience than required, but he had a good boat so he got away with a bad plan -- a small bit of luck helped. Counting on luck is not a good strategy. What probably happened is he drifted into a shipping lane where one of the ships finally saw him.

#274759 - 04/04/15 03:59 PM Re: Two months on a capsized boat [Re: Mark_R]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

So, poorly trained, but well prepared and very lucky.

#274763 - 04/04/15 10:04 PM Re: Two months on a capsized boat [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I'm not sure I'd say well prepared; he had a good boat. If he'd had a handheld radio that could withstand a dunking and a PLB and maybe a back-up solar system to keep batteries charged, I'd say he was prepared. One knock-over though and he lost propulsion (sail and motor) as well as comms.

Apparently there was more comm, nav and signaling gear in my aviation survival vest than he had in his boat. My vest and everything in it was designed to get (IPX-8) wet. Things get wet in a small boat on the ocean, you need to plan for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 261 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.