The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#274555 - 03/12/15 06:40 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Tjin]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
yeah, i like totes for that very reason, we have most of our seasonal decoration items in totes and stored/stacked in the attic. Empty space I am not too worried about, but for the sleeping bags I am concerned about if the regular tote will keep enough moisture out so the bag won't be damp, moldy, etc when it is time to use them.

I'd really like to get the bulky sleeping bags out of the house, no room in any closets for them, a big reason why they are laying about the house, usually i let them lay out on the spare bed outside their stuff sacks, keeping them dry and lofty for the next use. Unfortunately, that doesn't work well when you have company come in from out of town.

#274556 - 03/12/15 06:45 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: boatman]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Nice tips boatman, we used buckets for some of our gear on our scout float trip last September. However, some of the bags I have are too bulky for them, maybe the 7 gallon bucket might work, haven't seen one of those before, hopefully we can eventually replace these big bulky monstrosities with better more compact bags, but for now they are what we have available.

#274565 - 03/13/15 03:14 AM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I keep my dedicated hurricane electronics in the top tray of a rolling Craftsman tool chest....I don't plan on evacuating to a public shelter, but if necessary it is lockable, and I'm able to sit on it... routine storage is in 5 gal buckets and plastic totes... this was a lessons learned from the days my school building was an evacuation center...one of these, a small cooler, and a folding lightweight chaise lounge was standard for the experienced evacuee...

#274567 - 03/13/15 04:53 AM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Anything that can tolerate it gets put into an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote and stored in the garage. The few bits of gear, i.e. computer backup drive, that cannot tolerate garage storage get stored inside the house in a dedicated location.

One technique I've found to hide copious amounts of junk is to put a storage shelf in an empty corner, load it with all your gear, and then hang a curtain (bedsheet, etc) around it. Put the all sleeping bags in mesh laundry bags and either hang them up our place then on a shelf.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#274576 - 03/13/15 03:48 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

some great suggestions, I have a lot to think about, but one thing's for sure, I gotta get that garage cleaned out soon so I can start storing gear out there

#274584 - 03/14/15 02:01 AM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Plastic or galvanized garbage pails are less expensive than similar sized totes. Less than airtight, but that can be remedied by lining with heavy duty garbage bag and sealing the top. In earlier times, I experimented with backyard burial of some equipment and supplies, but it was more trouble than it was worth. My acivity in digging and filling in pits at night in the backyard caused some talk amongst the neighbors...

#274585 - 03/14/15 02:41 AM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Being a nomad, I have several "homes". In each, we leave some stuff. One place has temps that exceed 120F, another -40F. Another has very hot and humid weather for 6 months of the year.

In each, I use new 30 (?) gallon metal trash cans. I use aluminum tape to cover anything that looks like a hole. Put the stuff in and add a wrap of good quality duct tape around the seam between the lid and the container.

Been doing this for over 18 years now, mostly with the same containers. Last one I bought (about 2 years ago) was $18 at a rather overpriced very rural hardware store.

Nothing, not even ants have breached the containers. No rust, no water, nothing has entered.

Because it is a "metal to metal" seal, it would probably function well as a Faraday shield.

The handles are strong and I have loaded one so that two people were needed to move it. No problem.

There are a variety of sizes and shapes to choose from.

Works for me....

Nomad.

#274634 - 03/17/15 04:03 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Negotiate for one gear closet. big, flat things fit well under the bed(s).
It its in a blue plastic bin, its easier to find and less annoying to the dear wife.

#274646 - 03/18/15 12:02 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: Mark_F]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We have two closets in the master bedroom and they have wire frame shelving along one wall. I found that the typical closet shelf is about 6' off the floor leaving 2' between it and the ceiling. Divided that in half and put anther shelf above the first. Its just the right height for things like bankers boxes, ammo cans, 3 ring binders, milk crate sized file folder boxes, etc.
I found an ACE hardware that sold metal U shaped mounts for the shelving rather than the plastic expanding the drywall that most places sell. These let me mount to the studs with 3" screws making it string enough I can support my weight with them so a few heavy items isn't a problem.
For this extra layer of shelving I ran it all the way around the closet rather than just the clothing side. Then copied the same idea for the garage, ran shelving all the way around the top.

#274647 - 03/18/15 02:41 PM Re: Tips for gear storage [Re: nursemike]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

good idea about the garbage cans, I will look into this, and other storage containers when the meager budget allows and see what i can come up with.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Ren), 502 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.