The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#274233 - 02/17/15 02:42 AM Emergency Toilets for Obese People
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Looks like most of the emergency "camping" toilets have weight limits of 250lbs. I know that lining an existing toilet with thick bags would work as well, but that doesn't provide much room for expansion.

Are there emergency toilets that will support over 250lbs?

#274236 - 02/17/15 05:26 AM Re: Emergency Toilets for Obese People [Re: ki4buc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am not sure what an emergency toilet would be, or for that matter, its close relatives, the survival toilet, or the tactical toilet.

When there is no toilet - prepare the receptacle or space (the so called dumping ground), squat, and function. Fill in, clean up, and leave no trace! Be sure and wash your hands....

#274241 - 02/17/15 08:49 PM Re: Emergency Toilets for Obese People [Re: ki4buc]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
The emergency toilets that I have seen consist of a folding frame similar to a folding chair, but with a toilet seat under which is placed either a strong plastic bag, or a bucket.

Much easier to use than squatting especially for the less fit or those unused to having to improvise.

These light weight folding articles are indeed unsuitable for those over about 250 pounds or 110 kilos. Different makes vary a bit.

I have prepared as follows at little expense and with minimal space taken up.
I purchased a piece of heavy duty plywood about 30 inches by 45 inches, in the middle of this I cut a toilet sized hole.
Over this hole I fixed a standard plastic toilet seat complete with hinged lid.
The two longer sides of the plywood are reinforced with square timber screwed to the under sides.
When not in use this contrivance may stored on edge behind crates of other supplies and thereby take up little space.
When required for use, the board should be supported at each end on strong stacking crates containing doom supplies, choose crates to give a comfortable sitting height.
Under the seat I would place either a bucket containing cat litter or other absorbent material, or a bucket lined with a strong garbage bag. Ensure that only a minimal gap exists between the rim of the bucket and the underside of the plywood.

The plastic seat is readily cleaned if it becomes soiled.
The level surface to left and right of the seat would be handy for placing a toilet roll and a flashlight or lantern.

The supporting crates may still be utilised for storage, I would not much fancy keeping food or drink thus, but toilet paper would be fine.

The cost was about £25, excluding the strong crates that I needed anyway.

#274242 - 02/17/15 09:45 PM Re: Emergency Toilets for Obese People [Re: ki4buc]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Something like this might suffice for use with a standard chemical toilet..

https://www.bigjohnproducts.com/cm.htm

#274247 - 02/18/15 02:11 AM Re: Emergency Toilets for Obese People (2 buckets [Re: ki4buc]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: ki4buc
Looks like most of the emergency "camping" toilets have weight limits of 250lbs. I know that lining an existing toilet with thick bags would work as well, but that doesn't provide much room for expansion.

Are there emergency toilets that will support over 250lbs?

If a regular bucket emergency toilet has limit of 250lbs, just put it inside another bucket for a limit of 500lbs?

http://fivegallonideas.com/cinder-block/ says weight limit is 550 pounds with gasket lid can support and snap lid 308 pounds

This compares to what Luggable Loo says weight limit 250lbs

So just double up the buckets to double the limit smile an extra bucket is $3

OTOH, $79.95 supports 500lbs PETT camp toilet
$87.10 hold up to 350 lbs Folding-Bedside-Commode

OTOH, for ~$700 a full sized "Porta John" folding portapotty... ought to support 500lbs easy

Then there is always DIY smile milkcrate or plywood humanure toilet

$3 bucket + $5.74 seat + $1 screws + $1 hinges + $5.97 plywood = total $16.71 in materials

#274256 - 02/19/15 03:51 AM Re: Emergency Toilets for Obese People (2 buckets [Re: ki4buc]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Thanks guys!

I meant to reply this morning when I suddenly remembered there are chairs that go over toilets and saw that Am_Fear_Liath_Mor posted that, but didn't get a chance to confirm it.

I think the best bet for the use-case I have is what Am_Fear_Liath_Mor posted which is similar to the Folding Bedside Commode that EMPnotImplyNuclear posted as well. I believe you can remove the bucket and put it over a normal toilet as well.

#274273 - 02/21/15 01:27 AM Re: Emergency Toilets for Obese People [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am not sure what an emergency toilet would be, or for that matter, its close relatives, the survival toilet, or the tactical toilet.

When there is no toilet - prepare the receptacle or space (the so called dumping ground), squat, and function. Fill in, clean up, and leave no trace! Be sure and wash your hands....

In days of old
When knights were bold
And toilets weren't invented
They laid their load
Right in the road
And walked away contented.

#274275 - 02/21/15 04:21 AM Re: Emergency Toilets for Obese People [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
To Limerick scatological?
Some would sniff: pathological!
Though it takes small wit
to rhyme of ----,
the subject's ontological.

(I'm working on one with "coprolite" but getting nowhere. I think it needs an archaeologist's touch.)

#274282 - 02/22/15 05:46 AM Re: Emergency Toilets for Obese People [Re: ki4buc]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Tsk, no takers? Dreadful pity.

Back to the OP:

It seems to me that any chair that could normally handle the weight of a person of substance could be easily modified for essential functions, with the receptacle moved to suit the situation.

I recall images of an extended situation in ??Australia?? where the creative use of lawn chairs and pits for personal business was quite inspiring. Can't find a link offhand, but it's out there.

#274288 - 02/22/15 08:41 PM Re: Emergency Toilets for Obese People [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am sure an archaeologist would really dig your verse...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.