Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#273681 - 01/13/15 05:15 PM Re: Gadgets from True Utility [Re: Bingley]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I don't know if it qualifies as a multi-tool, but I have always carried a SAK (usually a Tinker model). I use it almost every day for something. I think, as you mentioned, you don't know how much you will use it unless you have it in your pocket.

Sure, I could go get a screwdriver out of the garage or my car's toolkit, but it is much easier to reach into my pocket.

I didn't think I would really use an EDC flashlight either. I bought one "just for emergencies." However, I find that I also use that almost every day.

Yesterday I used both the knife and flashlight while installing new printer cables for a computer. The day before I used both while doing some minor house repairs at my MIL's house.

One day, while miles from home, I repaired a leaking radiator hose on my car with only my SAK. Invaluable!

#273687 - 01/13/15 06:22 PM Re: Gadgets from True Utility [Re: Bingley]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I keep a spacepen in my wallet, but the most used device is phone followed by keys

#273715 - 01/15/15 08:32 PM Re: Gadgets from True Utility [Re: Bingley]
codyjack Offline
Stranger

The KeyTool has been on my house key for the last three or four years, and it gets used on a regular basis. The bottle opener pops any bottle cap immediately, which can't be said for a lot of other, slimmer openers like those on SAKs or multitools (which also have to be folded open before you can use them). The tiny screw driver is also perfect to fix glasses or to open the battery lid of the Photon Freedom. The nail file also comes in handy for quick trims on finger nails, but I have to admit that I only once tried to use the other screwdrivers or the thread cutter, which was rather awkward. The tweezers work, but you also have to remove the key, so meh. Anyway, as a minimalistic and lightweight keychain tool I would recommend it any time.

I also carried the SkeletonKnife for some time in the coin pocket of my jeans because of its minimal weight. It was okay to open boxes or other stuff, but it became dull rather quickly and wasn't really useful as a knife. It got replaced by the equally minimalistic, but 10 times better P.E.C.K. by C.R.K.T.

For whatever reason the concept of the FlashStash also intrigued me, but it's been lying in a drawer for a while now. For the keychain it is too bulky, and I wouldn't like the coin cells to leak over the precious items I keep in the compartment: The dividing wall is not fixed, so I don't really trust that thing...

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the company, I'm just a sucker for any kind of gadgets (that Micro USB MobileCharger looks also interesting...). :-)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 415 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 08:10 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Today at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.