The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#273281 - 12/16/14 05:33 PM solar charging question
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Hello again ETS-ers, asking for your input and opinions once again. Up front standard disclaimers, I have no affiliation or financial interest in the product I will be posting and asking about in this thread.

I received a link to this product I think because I liked a page on facebook. So first here is the product:

Xsolar

First off, has anyone had any experience with this or a similar type solar charger? I know absolutely nothing about these or what all the numbers mean. I have tried to follow previous threads about solar chargers and ended up lost, dazed and confused. I am really more interested in whether this is a good way to go as an entry level (and cost-conscious) solar charging device. See my intended/anticipated usage for this in the next section.

Second, would something like this be very useful? My main purpose for purchasing a solar charger such as this would be to recharge a cell phone or maybe an i-pod in areas where there is no electrical service. Say, in a primitive camping area at summer camp or a weekend camp out/camporee during scouting activities. It may also be used to charge a tablet or similar device, although I really wouldn't anticipate taking said tablet on a camp out or to summer camp. That said, I would anticipate using this to charge the tablet or similar device during a power outage at home.

So, bottom line, is this a decent product as an entry level solar charging device for my planned/anticipated usage?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

#273282 - 12/16/14 05:41 PM Re: solar charging question [Re: Mark_F]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm not familiar with the xsolar, but I do have the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus. I like it.

#273283 - 12/16/14 05:43 PM Re: solar charging question [Re: Mark_F]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have the WakaWaka Power+, which I backed on Kickstarter (https://us.waka-waka.com/store/catalogue/wakawaka-power_23/) (no other affiliation). It's significantly more expensive and has less power onboard (2200 mAh vs 5000 mAh), but does have a built-in light.

Here's what I can say about it from my personal experience:

• It charges on an overcast day - can go from zero to full in 12 hours of cruddy sun exposure, much less when the sun is shining bright
  • It has extremely low self-discharge, I can leave it alone for months and it will be at 90% of charge
  • Very tough for how light and small it is

If the one you linked to works as well for $30, it's a steal. I'd be concerned, however, that for that price the solar panel might not be as good.

#273284 - 12/16/14 06:29 PM Re: solar charging question [Re: Mark_F]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

The solar panel looks rather small, so might take some time to charge. My experience, is that in most cases a powerpack is way more practical. Reliable and consistant amount of power.

With a solar you never know how much it will charge, you need to put it exposed to the sun and therefor exposed to the weather and possible dishonest people.

#273285 - 12/16/14 06:46 PM Re: solar charging question [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My Goal Zero Solar Charger has Panasonic (Sanyo) Eneloops in the battery pack. These are available to use directly in a AA powered device, or they can act as a source if charging something with the USB port. Solar keeps the batteries charged. Nice thing is that you can have multiple sets of batteries charged/charging, rather than having a non-standard battery hard wired into the charging unit.

#273286 - 12/16/14 07:28 PM Re: solar charging question [Re: Tjin]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Tjin
With a solar you never know how much it will charge, you need to put it exposed to the sun and therefor exposed to the weather and possible dishonest people.

Both the Xsolar and the WakaWaka Power+ have batteries onboard; the solar capability is used to recharge the battery.

#273288 - 12/16/14 08:35 PM Re: solar charging question [Re: Mark_F]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have a couple of eboot Solar Chargers, whick look to be identical to the xsolar.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KMRYSQ8/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics

I've used them to charge an Olight R40 Flashlight directly, a Landrover A8 Andriod Smartphone and a eyeTV DVB-T Wifi server (allows me to watch Broadcast TV and Radio on the Smartphone)

The 1W Solar Panel will take quite a while to recharge the Lithium Battery. It should keep the Lithium battery topped up though if you charge the battery using an external USB power source.

Here is a Funkyprepper review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83DHX9D4CK4

They also make ideal Secret Santa presents at work.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/16/14 08:37 PM)

#273289 - 12/16/14 10:02 PM Re: solar charging question [Re: chaosmagnet]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Tjin

Both the Xsolar and the WakaWaka Power+ have batteries onboard; the solar capability is used to recharge the battery.

Yes I know that. I mean if you run the solar charger battery down, you are not sure when you enough power in the battery again to fully charge your phone again. Changing wheather or if you are unable to put the charger in a sunny place consistantly, will make the availible power after draining the solarcharger battery once a big mistery.

If the battery in the solarcharger is enough for your expected use, then you don't need the solar part.

#273291 - 12/17/14 05:31 AM Re: solar charging question [Re: Mark_F]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A few thoughts from a guy who's been messing with photovoltaic solar panels for some time:

First and foremost, I think you should largely ignore the solar part. This is a battery pack designed to be charged by grid-powered chargers/devices. The charging spec's are for PC (at nearly twice the standard USB rate!?!) or more powerful chargers. I suggest you compare it (battery size and cost) with the non-solar rechargers that are available everywhere.

It's odd they wouldn't list more of the hard spec's on the solar aspect. Or maybe not, because they're hardly sexy. If the photo on the web page is to be believed (?!) it's a lithium polymer 5000 mAh battery. The solar charging capability is apparently 200 mA. I'm playing very fast and loose with the math here, but I believe it would take at least 3 days of full 8-hour direct sunlight to recharge this. Assuming ideal conditions. It's a biggish battery and a tiny, tiny panel. So the solar panel is a trickle charger -- still somewhat useful, but don't be fooled into thinking that this is a self-contained off-grid solution; it certainly is not. It may however give you enough juice in a dicey situation to get your phone connected and fire off a few text messages (and get triangulation going if someone's looking for you).

I'm not saying don't buy one; but be realistic about your expectations. Hope this helps.

#273292 - 12/17/14 08:15 AM Re: solar charging question [Re: dougwalkabout]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
A few thoughts from a guy who's been messing with photovoltaic solar panels for some time:

First and foremost, I think you should largely ignore the solar part. This is a battery pack designed to be charged by grid-powered chargers/devices. The charging spec's are for PC (at nearly twice the standard USB rate!?!) or more powerful chargers. I suggest you compare it (battery size and cost) with the non-solar rechargers that are available everywhere.

It's odd they wouldn't list more of the hard spec's on the solar aspect. Or maybe not, because they're hardly sexy. If the photo on the web page is to be believed (?!) it's a lithium polymer 5000 mAh battery. The solar charging capability is apparently 200 mA. I'm playing very fast and loose with the math here, but I believe it would take at least 3 days of full 8-hour direct sunlight to recharge this. Assuming ideal conditions. It's a biggish battery and a tiny, tiny panel. So the solar panel is a trickle charger -- still somewhat useful, but don't be fooled into thinking that this is a self-contained off-grid solution; it certainly is not. It may however give you enough juice in a dicey situation to get your phone connected and fire off a few text messages (and get triangulation going if someone's looking for you).

I'm not saying don't buy one; but be realistic about your expectations. Hope this helps.

I agrea. With solar, go big or go home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 517 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.