Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#273139 - 12/05/14 12:02 AM Making Cordage with a braiding Disk
TonyE Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: eastern PA
This method of cordage making takes up very little room. It is a goood way to use gutted paracord strands to make especially strong small rope. you can vary the color and size of the threads used, use your imagination. If you can count to three you will have no problem with the braiding disk.
Take a square of cardboard and cut off the corners to make an octagon.  I used the top of a pizza take out box and made a 4" square (size of square is not critical).    Cut a 3/4" (again not ctitical) slit on center of each sine of the octagon.  Cut a hole in center of square.  Take 7 strands of cord and tie overhand knot in one end.

Push overhand knot in center of hole and put one strand each in seven slits  leaving the empty slit in the East (3 o'clock)  position.  Clip a light weight (bulldog clip) to the knot. 

I find it easier to move the disk in a counter-clockwise direction but you can move the disk clockwiase as long as you are consistant. 
Start with disk set up like left hand photo avove.
Count over 3 positions clockwise and take the cord there (red cord, south-west position) and move it up to the empty slot.  Shift the disk counter-clockwise so the empty slot is in the East (3 o'clock) position. Disk will now look like photo below.

That is all there to it.  Count over three clockwise, move the cord there to the empty slot, and turn the disk so the empty slot is at the East.

Will bring us to here.  When  the white cord is moved to the empty slot the cords will once again be in the be starting order.

#273140 - 12/05/14 12:02 AM Re: Making Cordage with a braiding Disk [Re: TonyE]
TonyE Offline
Enthusiast

Continue in this manner until finished.  Tie end in overhand knot.

You will get an unholy mess on your hands if you don't straiaghten out the cords from time to time

When you use 2 colors you can see the spiral pattern appear

#273141 - 12/05/14 12:03 AM Re: Making Cordage with a braiding Disk [Re: TonyE]
TonyE Offline
Enthusiast

Simple Project
I started with almost 4' of threads to make a 1 foot usable length of cordage.  In the middle of the 4' of the yarns I braided for about 2".

I folded the braid in half to form the loop and re-strung the braiding disk with doubled threads.

I braided until the ends got too short and ended up with a 1' long section of braid from end of loop to end of braid.

If the doubled cord is too thick you can thin it out.  After the first few rounds you can start cutting one of the strands in each slot.  Do this gradually maybe one cut every other round and the braid will thin out.  The ends will be hidden in the braid. 

You can make a very useful soft shackle with this  braid.  Tie a knot in the end and put the knot through the loop end.  A very handy way to hang items from a belt or anywhere else.

#273145 - 12/05/14 06:32 AM Re: Making Cordage with a braiding Disk [Re: TonyE]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Kumihimo
www.dreamalittlebigger.com/post/8-strand-kumihimo-patterns.html

There's a lot of overlap across the various knotted crafts, and the complex braids and sinnets are no exception.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 284 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.