Not long ago, a Washington Post review of a pair of new books on Hurricane Sandy caught my eye. I have since read both books, and both are fascinating.

As noted in the WaPo review, Sobel's book is written from the perspective of a scientist and self described weather geek, and is heavy on science. It is interesting to read about how the NHC and NWS struggled to communicate to the public the nature of the storm as it changed, and the huge risk to the public. Also fascinating is his discussion of what Sandy means (and notably does not mean) with respect to climate change.

Miles book is more of a down in the dirt discussion of people in the moment. She gives the perspective of Sandy from the Hurricane Hunters who flew into it, cruise ship passengers, and of course the ill fated vessel "HMS Bounty".

Being far away in Alaska, my only knowledge of Sandy comes from what I read. As I said above, I found both books fascinating. I would be interested to hear what those on ETS who experienced Sandy first hand think of these books?

Edited by AKSAR (11/19/14 09:48 PM)
Edit Reason: slight clarification of wording