Topic Options
#272684 - 11/02/14 06:33 AM Search Dogs
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
ADN recently had a good article about search dogs training for missions:
Lost? In trouble? These Alaska dogs will sniff you out

Quote:
Creating a mission-ready dog/handler team doesn't happen by accident. It takes about two years, start to finish, to certify in any of the search disciplines represented by teams of Alaska Search And Rescue Dogs: Wilderness, avalanche, tracking/trailing, cadaver and urban disaster. Handler and dog can expect to train specific search skills two to three times a week in addition to general bonding time and learning an array of obedience skills through voice and hand signals. Each team re-certifies in its given disciplines every two years.

It's that bonding time and deliberate practice in unusual environments a few times a year that helps Alaska Search and Rescue Dogs handle with aplomb circumstances that a typical family pet would never tolerate. They sit in loud, noisy helicopters and ride slung across their handler's shoulders during ski trips. "They know 'Dad's gonna take care of me here.' You can tell them to do just about anything, and they're going to do it," explained Brusseau.

I've worked with ASARD handlers and dogs on missions. They are awesome. In most search situations, the first thing the Incident Command team will request is dogs. They aren't infallible, but in many cases they are hugely effective in searches.

Back in late September I played search subject for a dog in a short exercise. It was really cool. From my hiding spot I could see the dog zig zagging across the terrain. When the dog got downwind of me and caught my scent, it suddenly turned and came like a laser to my position! Very cool!

If you or a loved one is ever the subject of a search, you are lucky if the SAR team has trained dogs available.

#272687 - 11/02/14 03:10 PM Re: Search Dogs [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"If you or a loved one is ever the subject of a search, you are lucky if the SAR team has trained dogs available."

Because they will search with dogged determination.....

#272694 - 11/02/14 08:08 PM Re: Search Dogs [Re: AKSAR]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
That's how I got into the whole survival and preparedness thing.

I was visiting the local county fair with my kids - and a new Cub Scout leader - and I came across a search and rescue team with dogs. They advised me to have my kids (biological and Scouts) carry a whistle and a bright garbage bag and for them to stay put if lost.

Today both kids are in college - my son's an Eagle Scout. Didn't loose a single Scout. That was a long time ago.

#272700 - 11/03/14 04:59 PM Re: Search Dogs [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The article demonstrates why humans and doggies teamed up millennia ago. As a team, with human eyesight and dogs' sense of smell, they brought home the bacon. It is logical that,with training, they would be extremely effective in SAR.

Years ago, dogs in SAR were controversial in some circles. Not so today, at least if we are discussing properly trained teams.

#272702 - 11/03/14 11:29 PM Re: Search Dogs [Re: hikermor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: hikermor
The article demonstrates why humans and doggies teamed up millennia ago. As a team, with human eyesight and dogs' sense of smell, they brought home the bacon. It is logical that,with training, they would be extremely effective in SAR.

Of course, millenia of humans breeding dogs for the traits they (us) need and want has helped. Nevertheless, it is one of the best examples of inter-species symbiosis around.

#272737 - 11/07/14 02:37 PM Re: Search Dogs [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

We are training dogs down here as well: http://www.vcstar.com/news/local-news/sa...utions_05386627

a very worthwhile endeavor

#272749 - 11/07/14 11:40 PM Hang Dog [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
My coonhound demonstrating a prototype avalanche dog lowering uniform. She had rappelled before, but she is giving a great look of skepticism.

#272753 - 11/08/14 01:05 AM Re: Hang Dog [Re: AKSAR]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
We used to do that with my friends cat ... lowering it through the floor heat vent from 2nd to 1st floor (old farm house).

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 262 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.