Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#272312 - 10/17/14 03:29 PM Re: Shoots bear, and buddy [Re: Greg_Sackett]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: Greg_Sackett
No argument there, but how many of us practice for CQB situations with our scoped bolt guns?

Handguns and MBRs or carbines? Sure. But I've only done long range stuff with a hunting rifle.

Sounds like a good excuse to take Thunder Ranch's Urban Precision Rifle class!

Not talking about the current situation, since I don't know if the shooter had practiced at close range or not. That being said, hunting shots are usually under 100 m and often less in the area he was hunting. A hunter should know where his rifle shoots at all probable distances. Ir is particularly important when hunting bear or in bear territory - obviously.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#272313 - 10/17/14 03:35 PM Re: Shoots bear, and buddy [Re: dougwalkabout]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
We should cut the victim's partner a little slack. Tricky business, shooting a bear at close range in a high stress situation.

Maybe we should even cut a liberal amount of slack. The choice seems to have been shoot and risk the partners health or wait for the outcome of the attack. I doubt that the victim would have been better off with just waiting.
The amount of practice required for such a situation may not be affordable for the average hunter. I would expect it from a hunting guide though.

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Especially with a hunting rifle zeroed for, say, 100 yards or greater. It would take some deliberate practice to know where the round would strike at close range.

The usual scoped hunting rifle is going to strike a little low. At 10m itīs about the distance between your barrel and the center of your scope. At 25m the difference can be neglected. I tried that with my 7x64. Itīs not that hard to compensate for that. Taking proper aim under much stress and in a hurry is quite a different subject though.

#272315 - 10/17/14 05:05 PM Re: Shoots bear, and buddy [Re: AKSAR]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Poor guy! This is why I carry bear spray, but with the acknowledgement that my adrenal fight-or-flight response is so overwhelming, that I seriously doubt I could even discharge it properly, much less a firearm. One time when I was faced with a serious physical threat, I somehow leaped over an 8 foot fence and ran two miles without even getting tired -- however my hands were shaking like someone who'd downed a gallon of expresso. Ugh.

--M

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.