Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#271788 - 09/24/14 12:12 PM Re: Man Killed by Black Bear 40 miles from NYC [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hmmm, 5 fit young male humans behaving like prey animals running away from the bear was probably the problem here.

Exactly...on the rare occasion black bears attack, it is generally predatory. As such, running away is exactly the thing you shouldn't do! What's recommended is to stand your ground and make yourself look as big and scary as possible to convince the bear you are not prey. Probably easier said than done, but may have prevented this man's death especially if the group had stayed together instead of scattering like they apparently did.

#271801 - 09/24/14 04:53 PM Re: Man Killed by Black Bear 40 miles from NYC [Re: bigmbogo]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

There was another death from a bear a week ago in Wyoming, and then another attack occured just a few miles from where I was staying in Dubois. Links: http://www.good4utah.com/story/d/story/u...HNEmKjEgmyYgXvg and http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/22/us-usa-grizzly-wyoming-idUSKCN0HH2R520140922

This is the time of the year bears are really trying to put on weight for the winter, and some have cubs, so situational awareness is a must. Stay in open spaces with a good line of sight and avoid brush or wooded areas. It goes without saying to not have food on your person. Everyone in my group carried bear spray and there were at least two people carrying firearms. Word had it from the locals that bear spray was considered generally more effective, and that firearms were more of a heavy-duty backup.

Bears are amazing animals, but we have to remember that without our smarts, they are much higher on the food chain than we are.

--M

#271818 - 09/24/14 09:22 PM Re: Man Killed by Black Bear 40 miles from NYC [Re: bigmbogo]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
If this Group of 5 had "Stayed Together" this encounter would not have made the news. I have never found a Reliable Encounter with a Group of less than 3 that has had lead to a fatal bear encounter (Either Black or Grizzly), i.e. Travel in a Group of 4 or More and Deaths Caused by a Bears Go to Zero. Even a group of 2 cuts your chances of a deadly encounter down greatly.

Remember that if a group either starts an encounter spread apart or breaks up as in this encounter then the Bear Encounter is 1-on-1.
boreal.net

#271822 - 09/24/14 10:35 PM Re: Man Killed by Black Bear 40 miles from NYC [Re: BruceZed]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: BruceZed
If this Group of 5 had "Stayed Together" this encounter would not have made the news. I have never found a Reliable Encounter with a Group of less than 3 that has had lead to a fatal bear encounter (Either Black or Grizzly), i.e. Travel in a Group of 4 or More and Deaths Caused by a Bears Go to Zero. Even a group of 2 cuts your chances of a deadly encounter down greatly.

Remember that if a group either starts an encounter spread apart or breaks up as in this encounter then the Bear Encounter is 1-on-1.

Although this Grizzly Bear attack did not kill anyone, it resulted into 2 serious injuries that could of easily been life ending. It should be noted that this was a group of 7 that was attacked and really does away with the long held believe that a large groups may never be subject to a bear attack.

John Lubbock

#271824 - 09/24/14 11:09 PM Re: Man Killed by Black Bear 40 miles from NYC [Re: bigmbogo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Summarizing:

• Avoid bear encounters by being situationally aware and making noise so that you give non-predatory bears an opportunity to hear you coming.
  • Stay together.
  • Look big and scary.
  • Don't act like food. Food doesn't stand its ground, yell, talk to the bear, or make very loud noises with boomsticks (always be aware of your target and what is beyond).
  • Deploy pepper spray if circumstances permit and call for same.
  • Deploy firearms if necessary to preserve life.

Is that accurate and complete?

#271830 - 09/25/14 12:49 AM Re: Man Killed by Black Bear 40 miles from NYC [Re: Teslinhiker]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: BruceZed

Although this Grizzly Bear attack did not kill anyone, it resulted into 2 serious injuries that could of easily been life ending. It should be noted that this was a group of 7 that was attacked and really does away with the long held believe that a large groups may never be subject to a bear attack.
Actually, the NOLS bear attack probably doesn't disprove the belief that large groups probably won't be attacked. Bruce Zed's last statement is key.

A detailed analysis by NOLS after the event indicated that the students were walking up a creek, spread out, in single file. The first student had just rounded a rocky outcrop when he first saw the bear. At the time the bear hit the first student, it likely was not aware that there were more behind him. The bear probably initially only saw one student.

See New report details 2011 Alaska grizzly bear attack on outdoors school students (Part 1) , and How could NOLS students have avoided bear attack? (Part 2)

#271841 - 09/25/14 02:40 PM Re: Man Killed by Black Bear 40 miles from NYC [Re: chaosmagnet]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Well said and accurate. That is good advice while hiking.

While camping, the usual precautions regarding food apply. Don't even sleep in the clothing you wear while preparing dinner.

#271845 - 09/25/14 03:36 PM Re: Man Killed by Black Bear 40 miles from NYC [Re: bigmbogo]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Or cook naked! And then bathe, of course.

#271849 - 09/25/14 04:17 PM Re: Man Killed by Black Bear 40 miles from NYC [Re: gonewiththewind]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Or cook naked! And then bathe, of course.

That would work!

I've always heard the advice to not sleep in or with the clothes you wear but I've never practically figured out how to do that. Plus, barring the bathing option, the smell would still be on your skin and hair too wouldn't it?

#271853 - 09/25/14 05:12 PM Re: Man Killed by Black Bear 40 miles from NYC [Re: Denis]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
I think the smell on the clothing has more to do with spills than aroma from the smoke. I could be wrong though.

As far as cooking naked, just don't try this cooking bacon. laugh

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.