The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#271804 - 09/24/14 06:11 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: Phaedrus]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Mixed messages is also a big problem. Remember not too long ago when all good citizens were told by FEMA to have X amount of food and water for emergencies? Then branded as dangerous by DHS for doing what they were advised to do?

3 Days of Emergency food is still OK..But don't get too enthusiastic!
7+ Days of Emergency food is regarded as a Suspected 'Terrorist'. laugh

#271806 - 09/24/14 06:40 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Quote:
Mixed messages is also a big problem. Remember not too long ago when all good citizens were told by FEMA to have X amount of food and water for emergencies? Then branded as dangerous by DHS for doing what they were advised to do?
Would you care to cite a source for that assertation?

Edited by AKSAR (09/24/14 06:45 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#271807 - 09/24/14 07:30 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: AKSAR]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1T61oTrR8

But watching this video could also potentially get one characterized as a suspected 'terrorist' if you agree with the fellow giving the speech even if you think it in your mind. Careful now, there is also the rise of of the emergence of thought crime. wink

If this video is unacceptable for this forum then you should find the source at the the following website

https://publicintelligence.net/fbi-suspicious-activity-reporting-flyers/

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/24/14 07:34 PM)

#271810 - 09/24/14 08:30 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: Blast]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Blast
This is why we police the ETS forums so closely. Thankfully, all y'all are damn fine at policing yourselves so us sheriffs can mostly just sit around playing mumbly peg. :-)
-Blast

Uh-oh, you're a dangerous, self-mutilating, knife owner, huh? (where's the Big Brother smilie?)

#271812 - 09/24/14 08:38 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: AKSAR]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

Quote:
http://www.infowars.com/feds-label-bulk-buying-of-food-a-potential-terrorist-activity/

only one of many, but I didn't see a mainstream media source for this. InfoWars was one of the lesser "survival" sights I tried to link.

#271817 - 09/24/14 09:12 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There was a link to one of these flyers in an earlier post. Critical and important language includes:

"Some of the activities, taken individually, could be innocent
and must be examined by law enforcement professionals in
a larger context to determine whether there is a basis to investigate."

This poses an important question - How alert and proactive do we wish our law enforcement agencies to be?

#271832 - 09/25/14 01:29 AM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: MDinana]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

Quote:
http://www.infowars.com/feds-label-bulk-buying-of-food-a-potential-terrorist-activity/

only one of many, but I didn't see a mainstream media source for this. InfoWars was one of the lesser "survival" sights I tried to link.

I looked at the site and followed the link to the PDF. It's nothing unusual to me. If you read the flyer from the FBI, it doesn't say "report anyone who buys more than seven days of food"! The profile that want you to look for includes making extremist religious statements, paying with credit cards with multiple names, have war wounds, appear to be complete idiots about what they're buying, *and* they're buying stuff in bulk. Then FBI makes the PC caveat that just because someone doesn't share your beliefs, it doesn't make him a terrorist. I wouldn't get too worried about it. InfoWars took something totally out of context.

Anyway, I agree that this is a nice forum where we can get level-headed advice about surviving getting lost in the wilderness or a natural disaster. Wasn't Martin Focazio on the news a few years ago? I thought he did a good job demonstrating to the public how everyone can make reasonable preparation for emergencies. Maybe he needs to up his game -- maybe fight off a few bears, beat up Nazis looking for the lost Ark, sneak into the Temple of Doom... That will attract media attention, I'm sure.

I have to say, you guys aren't so helpful putting me in touch with the Association of Survival Schools (A.S.S.). I've been trying to find them through google for a whole year, but all their sites are blocked by my browser for some reason.

Edited by Bingley (09/26/14 01:34 AM)

#271838 - 09/25/14 04:59 AM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: Bingley]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I wouldn't get too worried about it. InfoWars took something totally out of context.
Aw c'mon Bing.......we ain't gonna let a silly thing like "context" spoil a good conspiracy theory are we?

InfoWars looks to be a site run by wing nuts, designed to appeal to whack jobs.

#271843 - 09/25/14 03:30 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
Pete Offline
Veteran

it's important to realize that there is NO good resolution to this stuff. we believe that we are "free" people living in a "free" society. But in point of fact - when it comes to the information about us - we are anything but free. There is very little to stop BOTH governments and private organizations from collecting a LOT of data about our personal lives, and it goes well beyond any thoughts we might have about the political system.

Case in point ... advertisements on the internet. Did you ever decide to BUY something on the internet, you put the item into a shopping cart, but then you cancelled the purchase. then 4-5 days later - you are surprised to see adds about the exact same kind of item popping up on your computer screen. WHY? because there are "spam bots" that work for marketing organizations. they go around and watch ALL the stuff that people purchase. and they also watch all the things that you wanted to buy. and all the Web pages where you were thinking about buying something. and that info. gets SOLD. it is a commercial marketing business - and very big money. so your personal habits and buying tastes are all stored in the banks of data about YOU ... sitting out there in computers somewhere.

it follows that if commercial organizations can store and analyze this stuff ... the Government (actually governments plural) can do the same thing on a MEGA scale. Your personal habits can all be cataloged and categorized. Don't be surprised if this is exactly what is happening. After all, what laws really protect YOU? and who would ever enforce them, anyway??

the struggle between "control" and "freedom" is a never-ending battle. But in many ways "freedom" has already become an illusion.

Pete

Edited by Pete (09/25/14 03:31 PM)

#271862 - 09/25/14 08:05 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
We're getting uncomfortably close to political discussion. Let's please get back on topic, which is what we say and how we say it.

Thanks,

chaosmagnet

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.