Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#270568 - 06/20/14 02:39 AM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: Deathwind]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A family tent (i.e. something like a Vango Omega 600XL) and some military BCB sleeping cots could easily be carried in an SUV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQhcQ7_p-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPsRW0zjrs (Use with an appropriate Thermarest or Multimat inflatable mat for cold weather bug out)

A lifesaver Jerrycan and a couple of 20l NATO water Jerry cans would provide around 60 Litres or nearly 16 US Gallons of water for 1 gallon per person per day. Enough for 7 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWjZ0i94eTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhn8r7W0YLk

A multifuel stove (one which can also take Gas Cartridges such as 4 season mix for convenience inside the tent 2-3 500gm cartridges should easily last more than 1 week) i.e. a Primus Omnifuel Himalaya Stove, which can also use unleaded petrol outside the tent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdja7UCIt0Y

Add a couple of 20 litre Jerry Cans for additional Petrol. If you can get the NATO spec Explo-Safe jerry cans together with the spout.

http://www.jerrycans.co.uk/explo-safe-jerry-cans-30-c.asp

These may extend your vehicle range from 100-200 miles for the additional 10+ US gallons of fuel.

Food for 1 week at 3000 Kcal per person per day using French RCIR rations or something similar would weigh around 21Kg for 14 ration packs. (excluding the baby food of course). You could go lighter (save 50% weight) with freeze dried but this would be dependent on available water available if water is heavily contaminated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Ykn5daKng

Again various tools are a requirement as well such as an entrenching tool or small spade, axe, saw etc.

Total Additional weight to your BOBs in the SUV vehicle would be around 150-160 Kg

You may also consider using a large Camo Net enough to cover both the SUV vehicle and Tent when parked up out the way.

Has anyone else considered using a military helmet and plate carrier when bugging out by vehicle? (not so much of a concern in the UK)

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/20/14 02:42 AM)

#270569 - 06/20/14 05:58 AM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Deathwind, it sounds like you have a very solid framework in place. I just want to add a few comments from lessons learned during previous incidents
Cash on hand-There will be a run at banks and ATMs as people make last minute preps. Add a roll of quarters for vending machines.
Gasoline-Top off your tanks whenever there is a high risk of an wildfire or other incident. The lines at the gas pump during the '07 fires in San Diego were nuts.
Empty boxes and bubble wrap-Photo albums, house blessings, extra clothes, baby lovies, toys, etc. games. Just general quality of life and amusement stuff. Expect to be figbting boredom after getting where your going.
Lastly-Thumb drives were never designed for archival storage. Get an extra drive(s) and copy your files to both. Sort of a ertsatz RAID drive. The chances of both failing simultaneously are much lower then having your only one go bad at the worst possible moment.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#270571 - 06/20/14 12:50 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
re: multi fuel cooking... I switched to propane for hurricane fuel needs many years ago, but would recommend a multi fuel camp stove with an additional propane adapter for someone looking for emergency cooking appliances today... having the ability to use regular unleaded gasoline makes sense... my GI multi fuel stove disappeared, and was replaced with this single burner Coleman

#270574 - 06/20/14 03:08 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In earthquake country, it is a good practice to top off your tanks whenever they get one half full (or empty, depending on how you see it), EQs being essentially unpredictable...

#270575 - 06/20/14 05:16 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Has anyone else considered using a military helmet and plate carrier when bugging out by vehicle? (not so much of a concern in the UK)

Only when bugging out in my blast protected Humvee.
Bullets don't always start flying in the average disaster around here grin

#270576 - 06/20/14 05:35 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Only when bugging out in my blast protected Humvee.
Bullets don't always start flying in the average disaster around here grin
Just make sure you are also "....using a large Camo Net enough to cover both the SUV vehicle and Tent when parked up out the way.", and also that "Your entire wardrobe is black tactical wear and boots..." grin LOL

#270579 - 06/20/14 08:22 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: TeacherRO]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Military helmets and plate carriers are specific items best used by military personnel doing specific military stuff.(combat operations) They are heavy and uncomfortable to wear at the best of times. Helmets are designed for shrapnel protection and only block bullets in the movies. If shrapnel is a concern where you live you have bigger problems. A good set of plates may or may not stop a projectile depending on caliber and angle of strike. If you were shot with the average sized rifle round (even a hollow point) wearing a plate and lucky enough to not have it go through you will still most likely need medical aid very quick as severe bruising and broken ribs/internal bleeding is very likely.

Personally I feel that a self defense firearm would suit you better in this kind of scenario. That's a topic for other forums I guess.

#270582 - 06/21/14 07:35 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: AKSAR]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Your entire wardrobe is black tactical wear and boots...

Do you mean like these fellows. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQG_MvvPRM

The S-10 respirator may prove handy for any CS gas in the area you may need to drive through.

Actually I just mentioned the ballistic helmet and plates just in case you find your self inside a cross fire outside a Korean Corner Store in LA (forgot the BOB Twinkies) or meeting up with some New Orleans LEOs on Danziger Bridge after some inclement weather.

http://m.video.pbs.org/video/2029672776/

A level IIIa helmet such as the British Mk7 should stop most pistol ammunition with a V50 of 650m/s. (or otherwise think of its use as a general purpose hi spec hard hat).

The Camo net may also make sense for some for some Bug out occasions, especially if having to ditch the vehicle in some woodland to continue on shank's pony or other means. It could be the difference between the vehicle being discovered and stolen or being looted or not.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/21/14 07:57 PM)

#270583 - 06/21/14 09:21 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another planning note -- While its fun to plan for the coming zombie apocalypse; most of us would bugging out to a hotel, relatives' hour or shelter. And we'd be driving.

Not much practical need for the folding kayak and 6 weeks of MRE's.

#270586 - 06/22/14 07:41 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: TeacherRO]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

A few days ago, I went to dad's house to help taking care of him after some hospital time. I came back home with a bad respiratory problem plus injured muscles on the left hand.

All my house projects stopped , as well as some family plans
I spent much of the last few days swalloing antibiotics, vitamin supplements, and sleeping.

One thing all of us should remember is : If YOU are not healthy, you aren't going to do much in a bad situation, much less in a survival situation.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.