Topic Options
#270182 - 05/30/14 04:45 PM Re: Urine Not Sterile [Re: DesertFox]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: DesertFox

I always thought it was OK because I saw Bear Grylls do it on TV. wink

Whatever BG does...I would rather distill my pee first, before drinking, and I would do the same with sea water. The feasibility of imbibing sea water has been advocated from time to time, and the notion just doesn't hold water (so to speak).

#270184 - 05/30/14 06:05 PM Re: Urine Not Sterile [Re: hikermor]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

If I were in an actual wilderness survival situation 'd much rather have Cody Lundin along that Bear. Cody at least is mildly amusing. Bear would be trying to sell me all his officially licensed products andI tend to find the man generally annoying.

#270185 - 05/30/14 06:13 PM Re: Urine Not Sterile [Re: Deathwind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
If I were in an actual wilderness survival situation 'd much rather have Cody Lundin along that Bear. Cody at least is mildly amusing. Bear would be trying to sell me all his officially licensed products andI tend to find the man generally annoying.

I would take Les Stroud over anybody. Mr. Lundin offers a lot as an author and presumably as an instructor, but I respectfully disagree with him on the footwear front.

As for Mr. Grylls, I expect that if you were in an actual wilderness survival situation with him he'd offer you a meal from craft service and give you a ride in his helicopter to a nice hotel.

#270201 - 05/31/14 05:08 PM Re: Urine Not Sterile [Re: chaosmagnet]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Lmao! He has some interesting tips. But I agree about the lack of footwear despite spending my formative and teen years mostly barefoot.
A nice plate of shrimp and melon balls would be a nice treat before the helicopter ride back to the Hilton lol.

#270216 - 06/01/14 10:58 AM Re: Urine Not Sterile [Re: hikermor]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I think I will follow AKSAR's wise counsel and avoid peeing into my wounds. What great things we learn on this forum....
If you have disinfected water available, that's great. Hypothetically, suppose I was marooned somewhere and had (a) a small amount of drinkable water I'd carried with me; (b) some found water that I'd consider too contaminated to drink; and (c) fresh urine. I suspect that the urine would be a better choice for cleaning wounds than the found water. It'd be nice to use the carried water to rinse out the urine at the end, but I wouldn't use it for that if I felt I needed it for drinking.

If I had the means to purify the found water, that changes things. The point is, urine isn't always the worst choice.

#270220 - 06/01/14 02:17 PM Re: Urine Not Sterile [Re: Brangdon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
f you have disinfected water available, that's great. Hypothetically, suppose I was marooned somewhere and had (a) a small amount of drinkable water I'd carried with me; (b) some found water that I'd consider too contaminated to drink; and (c) fresh urine. I suspect that the urine would be a better choice for cleaning wounds than the found water. It'd be nice to use the carried water to rinse out the urine at the end, but I wouldn't use it for that if I felt I needed it for drinking.

If I had the means to purify the found water, that changes things. The point is, urine isn't always the worst choice.

This is probably a rather theoretical discussion. I have been present as part of a first responder team in somewhere over 100 situations, and we have never cleaned out the wound by flushing with any liquid.Just stop the bleeding, stabilize, and transport. Most of these have been back country or wilderness situations in an arid environment; rarely has there been water "too contaminated for drinking."

Peeing is for local soil enrichment......

#270221 - 06/01/14 02:39 PM Re: Urine Not Sterile [Re: Doug_Ritter]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree with Hikermor. Stop or slow bleeding, stabilize, and MedEvac has been the response of those on scene.

#270223 - 06/01/14 05:30 PM Re: Urine Not Sterile [Re: Doug_Ritter]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

As I remember the training I received (many years ago), urine was only considered as a possible method to clean a wound in a situation where medieval was not an option and you had to provide long term care. It was never considered sterile (probably a more recently developed myth) and only a last resort for cleaning dirt and debris out of a wound. We were told to use the person's own urine, and to further cleanse the wound with alcohol or peroxide if it was available. Clean water was always a first choice, and taking the time to boil the water, or purify it in any other way, was worth the time and effort as the dirt and debris will take time to begin an infection. Of course there are many variables involved in this. The dirt and debris need to be removed before the wound is bandaged up for long term care. Understand that this scenario was taught at military survival schools for a long term evasion or isolation situation only. It also did not receive more than a brief mention as a possible alternative to flushing the wound with clean water, it was never considered a primary method of cleaning a wound.

#270299 - 06/07/14 07:29 PM Re: Urine Not Sterile [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Pete Offline
Veteran

clearly your urine needs a higher ALCOHOL content!!
Hahahaha!

Pete

#270302 - 06/07/14 11:25 PM Re: Urine Not Sterile [Re: Pete]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

LOL, I am trying!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 302 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.