Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#269863 - 05/13/14 05:53 AM Re: Climate Chaos - was global warming [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I note that the Pentagon considers it a foregone conclusion that things will be hotter, much hotter. They're already planning for it. It also appears we need to prepare for a lot higher seas levels, soon...we're talking the next year or two.

#269864 - 05/13/14 06:53 AM Re: Climate Chaos - was global warming [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Wind was also identified as a national security threat as it was forecasted in 2001 that it will keep getting stronger and with periods of longer duration. The basic threat of high wind impacts on Transportation which affects manufacturing.

#269885 - 05/13/14 11:30 PM Re: Climate Chaos - was global warming [Re: wildman800]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Unstoppable and significant rise in sea level coming soon to a beach near you. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014...-be-unstoppable

I wonder what climbing Denali will be like once all the glaciers melt.....

#269893 - 05/14/14 02:56 AM Re: Climate Chaos - was global warming [Re: hikermor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Unstoppable and significant rise in sea level coming soon to a beach near you. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014...-be-unstoppable

Worst case several centuries, best case 900 years according to their computer models? Did they take into account volcano eruptions and Maunder Minimums? Those have a way of drastically cooling things down.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#269899 - 05/14/14 06:43 AM Re: Climate Chaos - was global warming [Re: Blast]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Blast

Worst case several centuries, best case 900 years according to their computer models? Did they take into account volcano eruptions and Maunder Minimums? Those have a way of drastically cooling things down.
-Blast
Kind of depends on your definition of "significant", does it not?

The IPCC Report suggests a range of .25 to 1 meter by the year 2100. If I were a young person living in Florida or New Orleans, I might consider that significant.

Since you seem to suggest that volcanic eruptions and Maunder Minimums will save us, please give us your predictions for sea level change by the end of the century? Please be specific about your assumptions, and and give us quantitative results and an uncertainty range. That way we can fairly compare and evaluate your model with the others.

#269903 - 05/14/14 02:09 PM Re: Climate Chaos - was global warming [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Volcanism and sun spot cycles have resulted in short term reversals in the past ("Little Ice Age"), but have not altered longer term trends.

What seems significant to me is the inevitability of their model, feedback loops and all. If only their lower range estimates are valid, profound consequences will result - increased coastal erosion for one.

#269910 - 05/14/14 03:25 PM Re: Climate Chaos - was global warming [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Blast
Did they take into account volcano eruptions and Maunder Minimums? Those have a way of drastically cooling things down.
-Blast

The current models do take natural factors into account.

Volcanism and sun spot cycles have resulted in short term reversals in the past ("Little Ice Age"), but have not altered longer term trends.
Exactly.

Phil Plait's blog has a fascinating graph showing models of natural effects only, natural effects combined with human effects, and the actual observed data. The graph is from the National Climate Assessment, which focuses on effects on the US.

Originally Posted By: National Climate Assessment
Natural variations in climate include the effects of cycles such as El Niño, La Niña and other ocean cycles; the 11-year sunspot cycle and other changes in energy from the sun; and the effects of volcanic eruptions. Globally, natural variations can be as large as human-induced climate change over timescales of up to a few decades. However, changes in climate at the global scale observed over the past 50 years are far larger than can be accounted for by natural variability.

Especially interesting is the section on how changes are effecting local regions.

#269924 - 05/14/14 07:55 PM Re: Climate Chaos - was global warming [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Gentlemen all,

I have observed that this topic is the deadliest of poisons, particularly in discussion forums. Let us handle it very, very carefully.

Respectfully,
-Doug(wa)

#269933 - 05/14/14 10:18 PM Re: Climate Chaos - was global warming [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think climate change is real. I've already seen in my lifetime how we went from 4 to 2 seasons. Its really put a damper on outdoor activities when you go from winter to summer and summer to winter with no spring and fall in between.

#269934 - 05/14/14 10:27 PM Re: Climate Chaos - was global warming [Re: TeacherRO]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Individuals deal with higher water levels by moving to higher ground. Google "alton road flooding" to track the submergence of parts of South Beach. The political aspects of this matter are beyond the ambit of this writer, or this forum. And while the science is important and convincing, it is weather science, which gives us 'weather forecasts', not 'weather promises', and this forum is composed of folks who ignore the forecast and carry a poncho, and an umbrella anyway.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (miner), 510 Guests and 136 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.