Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#269662 - 05/05/14 01:07 PM Re: Sun / Rain Hat REPLY [Re: Herman30]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Herman30
I have good experience with Propper boonie made of 65% polyester/ 35% cotton ripstop fabric. Propper call that fabric Battle Rip. Shields my neck and ears from sun and amazingly good in holding the rain away. I think it is beacause the cotton threads in
the fabric swell when wet and therefore makes the fabric almost waterproof.

Ditto Boonie hats. I have one from 20 years ago still going strong. You can usually find them in solid colors like OD or khaki/tan, not just camo patterns.

#269664 - 05/05/14 03:59 PM Re: Sun / Rain Hat [Re: Craig_Thompson]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
stylish, effective, packable - choose two out of three. I have used boonie type hats for a longtime - anything from generic cotton cheapos to Outdoor Research models.They work fine for me, and I think they are stylish enough, because I am often setting off into a desert, but my DW disagrees. The model she selected does not work very well for padding a rappel rope,a useful attribute of a boonie.

I don't bother with a specific rain hat in most situations. The cheapo boonies shed enough of the water most of the time. When their capacity is exceeded, it is time for a parka hood. A full size, all around brim is critical - ball caps are useless, unless maybe you are playing center field.

#269668 - 05/05/14 04:17 PM Re: Sun / Rain Hat [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
This is a nice looking hat which meets most of your criteria except for being a rain hat (although water won't hurt it).

Packable Fedora

It gets great reviews.

#269688 - 05/06/14 01:08 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat [Re: Craig_Thompson]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
+1 on the Tilley hats, all four seasons.

Spring, summer, & fall is an LTM6. Stiff enough to keep the sun & rain off. Packing it is simple for me: hat goes on head. But seriously if you do have to pack it, put it on the bottom of the suitcase & pack everything on top of it. The hat will flatten & recover with no problem. Durability is superb. Tilley has a lifetime warranty on their unbleached hats if they ever wear out, mildew or shrink. One of the stories that they include with the hat is about one that was eaten by an elephant. The owner recovered it after it came out the other end. He wrote them about it, they offered to replace it & he turned them down.

Winter is a TW2. It won't flatten out as well for packing but I wear it anywhere & everywhere. It's a good weight wool hat & if the weather is really cold, it has an ears/back of head flap and forehead warmer.

#269691 - 05/06/14 02:14 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat [Re: Craig_Thompson]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Another Tilley hat user.

LTM6 wider brim synthetic with mesh vent at the top in the summer and the wool TW2 Tilley Winter Hat in the winter.

I certainly can't say I've tried any assortment of other hats, but I do like the Tilleys.

I do wash the LTM6 regularly to avoid rotting the sweat band area. I just fill a sink with mildly warm water and a bit of laundry detergent, swish and squeeze a bit, rinse very well, and air dry overnight.

#269700 - 05/06/14 01:33 PM Re: Sun / Rain Hat REPLY [Re: MDinana]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
If you like boonie hats, then have a look at the Hazard 4 hats.
Personally I am no fan of the Tilly hats. Don't get me wrong here: they are great hats, well made, stylish and nearly indestructible. Unfortunately my barnet is the wrong shape.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (05/07/14 04:54 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#269705 - 05/06/14 06:58 PM Re: Sun / Rain Hat REPLY [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Wal mart has a nice tilley knock off. I bought one each in khaki and olive drab. cket mesh panel near the top of crown, foam brim. The tag said ten dollars but they were five at checkout. They've done well so far, I don't like the chin strap assembly which is just like tilley.

#269711 - 05/06/14 09:27 PM Re: Sun / Rain Hat REPLY [Re: Deathwind]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
Lots of good options.

As far as "style" goes, I am not looking for "dressed up" style. I am not looking for a sun hat with flaps that drop down around the sides and back for extreme sun protection. I already have several and they do a good job when needed.

Many of your suggestions seem to fit the requirements. Now I need to find a store that stocks them so I can check them out.

The Tilleys look good. The Outdoor Research Ghost with the removable crown for rain looks practical, effective in rain, lots of mesh area for ventilation in hot conditions.

I never looked into all of the Tilley models and I must say, the TW2 is quite intriguing for colder weather. I am seeing one in my near future.

Thanks for all the suggestions. As always, any input is most appreciated.

Craig T.

#269716 - 05/07/14 12:52 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat REPLY [Re: Deathwind]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Have you tried it with the chin strap tucked up into the hat and the back strap set up like a state trooper smokey bear hat? It works well unless it is VERY windy like in a moving open boat.

#269719 - 05/07/14 02:47 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat [Re: KenK]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: KenK
Another Tilley hat user.

LTM6 wider brim synthetic with mesh vent at the top in the summer and the wool TW2 Tilley Winter Hat in the winter.

I certainly can't say I've tried any assortment of other hats, but I do like the Tilleys.

I do wash the LTM6 regularly to avoid rotting the sweat band area. I just fill a sink with mildly warm water and a bit of laundry detergent, swish and squeeze a bit, rinse very well, and air dry overnight.

1 more chipping in -- with a T6 and an LT3. The only problem with the T6 is the lighter colour that keeps the sweat stain no matter what I do with it. I am looking at a darker version.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 252 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.