The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#269648 - 05/04/14 10:11 PM Sun / Rain Hat
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
My sun / rain hat of many years just self destructed. The top part completely ripped off of the brim. Feels like the sun light has degraded the fabric. It is a Columbia. Not fancy but it did it's job for many years.

I use the hat for general day-to-day use as well as camping, hiking and travel.

Over the years I have seen many fine hats but my requirements might be a bit strict. The most annoying feature of the old Columbia hat was the flexible brim. Even a light wind would blow the brim up exposing me to sun and rain. I was able to fix that somewhat by sliding a rigid plastic tube into the welt sewn into the brim around the perimeter. This stiffened it somewhat.

Good sun and rain protection may be difficult in one hat in that mesh panels are very helpful in hot sunny conditions while obviously not so helpful in rain.

Here is what I am looking for:
• large brim for sun and rain protection, most hats are just not large enough to provide sufficient sun protection for the ears and neck.
• preferably the brim should be stiff enough that wind will not flap it up.
• chin strap to hold the hat on in high gusty winds.
• packable, flexible enough top portion that it can compact down flat so it can be carried in a suitcase or in a backpack.
• light color, beige, off white.
• Stylish enough that it does not look like I am setting out across the desert.

The Tilley hats look good but I have only held one and it had a rather stiff top that would not flatten for packing.

Any suggestions? Or is my requirements list too strict?

All thoughts and suggestions are most appreciated!

Craig T.

#269649 - 05/04/14 11:39 PM Re: Sun / Rain Hat [Re: Craig_Thompson]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I've got a Tilly that I've had for several years now 6-7+ I think. It has done the job you seem to want your hat to do for me. While it did cost more than most - it seems to have been worth it for me.

In the same token, I've been known to drag out one of my 'cowboy' hats when it's raining and I've always liked the way they have worked - going from the truck to the house or office building or even if I had to be outside all day. They sure don't pack worth a darn so going in a suitcase isn't going to work thus, the Tilly. Hope that helps some.

#269650 - 05/05/14 12:03 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#269651 - 05/05/14 12:16 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
pforeman, do you know what model of Tilley you have? I will search for any local stores that sell them, hopefully I will be able to see it before buying.

Will check out the Trekmates as well. A quick search found only black though.

Thanks folks. Further input always encouraged.

Craig T.

#269652 - 05/05/14 12:39 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have the Tilley TH5 (natural) for hot days when a lighter shade is best and a Tilley TWC5 in waxed cotton (British Tan). I like them both but wear the TWC5 Outback Hat more often. Both are very comfortable and work well providing shade. Not much rain here in SOCAL so I can't speak to one of these in the rain, but I s'pose the waxed cotton TWC5 would do well.

I'm thinking not crushable. If I were to pack it, I'd pack the inside with socks and T-shirts and take my chances. It would probably be fine.

#269653 - 05/05/14 12:59 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat REPLY [Re: Craig_Thompson]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I've got the "T-3" in olive.
http://www.amazon.com/Tilley-Endurables-T3-Traditional-Canvas/dp/B0033WRX8O

Do an internet search on it and you may find someplace close to you where they are on-the-shelf so you can check them out.

#269656 - 05/05/14 04:13 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat REPLY [Re: Craig_Thompson]
sak45acp Offline
Stranger

Loc: ct
Depending on the model, you can take the closed cell foam pad out of the crown of your Tilley hat to make it more "crushable". Even with the foam in I've packed mine flat ion a suitcase with no issues. The body just accordions down so the crown fits into the brim. Rolling it up might be a different issue.

#269657 - 05/05/14 04:51 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Craig_Thompson
Any suggestions? Or is my requirements list too strict?

Well, I think that insisting that a hat that meets those technical requirements look stylish is getting picky. Still, here are 2 hats from Outdoor Research that have removable crown covers that are waterproof and breathable. So you can deal effectively with both sun and rain.

Outdoor Research "Ghost"

Outdoor Research "Sunshower Sombrero"

#269658 - 05/05/14 04:54 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat REPLY [Re: Craig_Thompson]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Realdeal Brazil hats could be another option.They are made out of truck tarps in Brazil so crushing only adds more character to them.The brim also has a wire in it for shapping.No afiliation or even own one.Have seen and handled one though.Do want...

BOATMAN
John

#269660 - 05/05/14 08:18 AM Re: Sun / Rain Hat REPLY [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
I have good experience with Propper boonie made of 65% polyester/ 35% cotton ripstop fabric. Propper call that fabric Battle Rip. Shields my neck and ears from sun and amazingly good in holding the rain away. I think it is beacause the cotton threads in
the fabric swell when wet and therefore makes the fabric almost waterproof.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 354 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.