Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#269565 - 04/29/14 03:33 PM Re: Father, 2 young kids missing in SC national park [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Missing father, kids found safe in Congaree National Park Tuesday
So much for the "fishy" theories!
Quote:
Rescuers found a missing father and his two children in the Congaree National Park early Tuesday morning.

The park held a briefing at 9 a.m.

National Park Service Ranger Jared Gurtler was the first officer to make contact with Kimbler and his two children.

Gurtler was out in the park around 4:30 a.m. on foot with just a flashlight. Since he is based at Congaree, he is familiar with all the trails, even at night.

"The best opportunity to hear human voices in the wilderness is at night," Gurtler said. "At night, no birds are singing and the human voices can be heard at that time."

#269593 - 04/30/14 09:17 AM Re: Father, 2 young kids missing in SC national park [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
A great ending! Glad to see where are okay.

#269596 - 04/30/14 03:45 PM Re: Father, 2 young kids missing in SC national park [Re: Phaedrus]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
A few more details about the search and the lost father and kids are in this article: Happy end to massive search of Congaree National Park .

Quote:
Gurtler, who has worked at the 27,000-acre Congaree National Park since 2009 and knows the terrain, advanced slowly on foot, his flashlight a dab of brightness in an ocean of black.
-------------snip-----------
The area had been searched before but, officials said, Gurtler just had a sense he should go back. “I gave a holler out every two, three minutes. I would walk 100 yards, give a holler, walk 100 yards, give another holler,” Gurtler said. Around 5:30 a.m., he heard a distant answering cry.
-----------snip---------
Beginning Saturday night, the search-and-rescue operation by Tuesday had involved more than 80 people from 10 local, state and national agencies. It melded boots-on-the-ground woods savvy from Gurtler and others as well as a sophisticated military-like operation that coordinated land, river and aircraft search efforts. A team of rangers who came in from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park organized state and local rescuers ....
----------snip-------
Rangers closed the park to the public Monday, and clearing the trails helped in the search because it quietened things down.

Making the search more difficult was the fact that Kimbler and the children were wandering around instead of staying in one place. That meant searchers could cover one area, only to have the Kimblers wander into that area.

A good search management will try to combine local knowledge of the terrain, profiles of the subject, good organization and search technique, and as many resources as can be had. According to the article, when located, the father and kids were about 2½ miles from a visitors center. The terrain was very thick, with brush and lots of down trees, and a maze of small trails. Finding someone who is moving can be really difficult. As is typical in these cases, the search subjects hadn't gone all that far.

The article also says that Gurtler has participated in 11 previous searches this year. As noted up thread, the vast majority of searches are short affairs that are wrapped up in a few hours. Someone is reported missing, a couple of hasty teams walk the obvious routes, and quickly find the person. No big deal, and they rarely make the news. A few, like this one, get big and complex.

#269601 - 04/30/14 11:39 PM Re: Father, 2 young kids missing in SC national park [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sometimes it works the other way around...War Story Alert!

We responded one nice sunny day to a request for a search for a missing person. Before leaving base camp, the deputy in charge gathered us together (about 15-20 warm and willing bodies) and apologized in advance. This was just a search for show...A Border Patrol tracker has found the prints of the subject and followed him to the roadside, where he had gotten into a vehicle and left the area. The real effort was concentrating in downtown Tucson.

We were called out simply to fly the flag and make the overall operation look good. We were assured there was no chance of the victim being in the search area.

We all took this in, agreeing with the logic. It was a beautiful Arizona spring day (unlike what passes for spring in other parts of the country, like Alaska), so why not? We formed our teams, developed assignments, and set forth.

Twenty minutes later, we found our subject, about 300 yards distant from the spot where he allegedly hopped into a car....

It is not unknown that sometimes missions will be performed that are more for PR than any realistic expectation of finding the subject, a sure sign that the operation is nearing desperation....

Edited by hikermor (04/30/14 11:42 PM)

#269604 - 05/01/14 12:55 PM Re: Father, 2 young kids missing in SC national park [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Scenarios like this always run through my mind when I'm out with my kids. (And alone.) I don't want to end up being one these stories so try to be prepared and mitigate as much risk as I can without sucking the fun and adventure out of the the trip. So far so good, but it doesn't take much for things to go South. I'm glad this one turned out well. Kudos to the SAR team!

FWIW, most of the trails in our area were beaten up pretty badly this winter. There are trees down everywhere and lots of flooding to navigate around. In addition to a high risk of mechanical injury, it would be so easy to get turned around. Most signage is poor, with signs and blazes knocked down by the rough winter. It would be very easy to get lost if you don't stay on top of your navigation, even in a small park. As I said to bacpacboy after we came across another downed sign and blaze on a weekend hike, it's always smart to use a map and compass.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#269605 - 05/01/14 02:42 PM Re: Father, 2 young kids missing in SC national park [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Map & Compass is always good but you need to continually update so you stay found. The vast majority will rely on signs, will get lost and then when they pull out the map & compass (if they have them), won't be able to locate themselves on the map. They'll be able to find North and that may help, but not always. At least they can stay lost in one direction.

A cheap GPS OTOH, can tell them exactly where the parking lot is located, IF they remembered to mark the car; a mapping GPS might actually show the parking lot. OTOOH, the folks who marked their car will probably forget to turn the GPS off, so when they really need it the batteries are already dead.

Face it, most folks with a decent plan either don't get lost or self-rescue. Most folks don't have a plan, or a map, or a compass, or spare batteries...

Sorry, taking small kids in the backcountry without a plan borders on child endangerment; I have no sympathy.

#269606 - 05/01/14 03:24 PM Re: Father, 2 young kids missing in SC national park [Re: Russ]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ

Sorry, taking small kids in the backcountry without a plan borders on child endangerment; I have no sympathy.

I agree with that wholeheartedly, Russ. Some adults need to learn the Cub Scout method for dealing with getting lost or separated: Hug a Tree and blow your whistle until found!

#269607 - 05/01/14 04:21 PM Re: Father, 2 young kids missing in SC national park [Re: Russ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Russ
A cheap GPS OTOH, can tell them exactly where the parking lot is located, IF they remembered to mark the car; a mapping GPS might actually show the parking lot.

Its also good to learn how to use the coordinates from your GPS to find your precise location on your map. I think all three, map, compass & GPS, work great together; I don't see it as GPS or map & compass.

#269608 - 05/01/14 05:30 PM Re: Father, 2 young kids missing in SC national park [Re: Denis]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, in areas with good terrain features you can sometimes get by with just the map IF you keep updating your location on the map as you go. The guy who "suddenly" discovers he's lost can really use a GPS to give him a starting point. Still, as you indicate, being able to take what's on your GPS and transfer that info to the map is a required skill.

Sorta off-topic: I started navigation with celestial and LORAN as my input. Later we used a Litton LTN-51 and later still LTN-72 inertial nav systems. A couple miles of error was no big deal; just get close enough so the TACAN can pick up a signal. GPS is so nice... but what to do when that CME bullet strikes and we lose all the great tech -- back to map & compass and the sun, moon & stars. That will not be a good day.

#269610 - 05/01/14 06:00 PM Re: Father, 2 young kids missing in SC national park [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

The irony is that the guy could have texted his coordinates to the wife or 911 and it would all have been wrapped up quickly.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 110 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by KenK
Today at 02:02 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.