Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#269336 - 04/21/14 11:14 PM Trailer/Truck Tie Down Rope Length
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I recently acquired 250 feet of 3/8" polyester rope (not polypropylene; polyester rope takes knots well and doesn't stretch).

I originally bought it to use for canoe tie-downs on my truck, but was surprised to find that a Yakima Keelover canoe rack kit I also purchased came with its own tie-down straps and bow/stern ropes. I guess I didn't read the description very well. Huh.

I figure I'll use the 3/8" poly rope for general tie-down uses on my truck and my open trailer. BUT, now I find myself trying to decide what are the best lengths for ease of use and storage. Any suggestions based upon your experience?

#269337 - 04/21/14 11:19 PM Re: Trailer/Truck Tie Down Rope Length [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My first thought is don't cut it until YOU know how long the rope needs to be. Our thoughts are virtually irrelevant.

#269340 - 04/22/14 12:42 AM Re: Trailer/Truck Tie Down Rope Length [Re: KenK]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I purchase 1/4" polyester rope for light general purpose use around the house and for camping. The rope usually comes in 100' rolls and I cut into 4 x 25' lengths. This works very well for my needs and I can always tie 2 lengths together if needed, which is not often.

Since you has so much rope, you can probably make a few 50' lengths and whatever size else that you might think you will need.

BTW, for canoe tie-down on my truck, I have always used 1"x 20' cam buckle straps (not ratchet straps). Simple, effective and is a lot less hassle then rope and doing knots, especially with cold hands.

John Lubbock

#269341 - 04/22/14 12:59 AM Re: Trailer/Truck Tie Down Rope Length [Re: KenK]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I would think fifty foot lengths are good.I have a fifty footer in my truck that i used for moving my daughter for college. worked very well.It also gets used as a ridge line for my tarp shelter.In both applications there was line left over.Better too much than not enough.

BOATMAN
John

#269343 - 04/22/14 02:34 AM Re: Trailer/Truck Tie Down Rope Length [Re: Russ]
yee Offline

How does one actually USE such an unwieldy length of rope without getting it completely tangled up? I find everything is initially fine coiled up but once I start using it, I have a knotted mess.

I suspect anything longer than 25 to 50 feet is unmanageable. I hope someone out there has a magic bullet for me.

#269344 - 04/22/14 03:24 AM Re: Trailer/Truck Tie Down Rope Length [Re: yee]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: yee
How does one actually USE such an unwieldy length of rope without getting it completely tangled up? I find everything is initially fine coiled up but once I start using it, I have a knotted mess.

I suspect anything longer than 25 to 50 feet is unmanageable. I hope someone out there has a magic bullet for me.
Climbers routinely manage 50 meter (~165 ft) or even 70 meter (~230 ft) ropes, and avoid having a "knotted mess" (usually). Likewise, sailors routinely use various methods to neatly coil the lengthy ends of halyards etc.

No real magic bullet. Just use the part you need, and neatly coil and tie off the rest. There are numerous ways to coil the unused portion. Take a look at various books on climbing or sailing. The only real magic is learning to make the coil without kinking.

#269346 - 04/22/14 03:30 AM Re: Trailer/Truck Tie Down Rope Length [Re: yee]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You need a stuff bag to handle long lengths of rope.Forget coiling. Take an appropriate sized bag and stuff the rope into it, leaving one end easy to reach. To deploy the rope, just pull it out, or toss the bag. The rope will pay out flawlessly.

Doing tricky rappels, I have attached the bag low on my harness, rigged in the normal manner, and gone on down the route, paying out the rope as I descend. I have never had any problems. The same technique works for kayak rescue ropes in throw bags.

I have handled ropes up to 600 feet in length this way. I understand that Yosemite Search and Rescue has a 3600foot length (the height of El Capitan) which is deployed from a duffel bag in this manner.

Edited by hikermor (04/22/14 03:33 AM)

#269352 - 04/22/14 07:07 AM Re: Trailer/Truck Tie Down Rope Length [Re: KenK]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
50 feet sounds good. As long you can tie down one length across, you're good. If you need more rope, you can add 50 feet segments as needed.

FYI, in the back of my truck, I have about four 20-foot segments. It works for me. I'll just bend segments together if I need a longer continuous rope.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
You need a stuff bag to handle long lengths of rope.Forget coiling.

I agree. For the original poster, he could keep 250 feet in a bag and take the length needed for a tie down. One issue though is where to place the bag if it's not a pick-up truck. If it's an SUV and you want all the windows closed, where does the bag with the remaining rope go?

#269354 - 04/22/14 11:45 AM Re: Trailer/Truck Tie Down Rope Length [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Certainly for tie downs and similar usage, there isno need to keep the rope intact. Cut off as needed and learn a coupleof good joining knots - double fisherman's bend, bowline, etc.

#269369 - 04/22/14 08:27 PM Re: Trailer/Truck Tie Down Rope Length [Re: AKSAR]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: yee

Climbers routinely manage 50 meter (~165 ft) or even 70 meter (~230 ft) ropes, and avoid having a "knotted mess" (usually). Likewise, sailors routinely use various methods to neatly coil the lengthy ends of halyards etc.

No real magic bullet. Just use the part you need, and neatly coil and tie off the rest. There are numerous ways to coil the unused portion. Take a look at various books on climbing or sailing. The only real magic is learning to make the coil without kinking.

I've used this to manage the main sheet when derigging sailboats. After it's coiled and served, I hung it from the boom with a clove hitch. I've found the best way to keep the rope from twisting when it is uncoiled is to alternate back and fourth in figure 8's intead of a loop.

I use 10 ft lengths of 1/4" nylon/polyester to manage cargo in my SUV. For a conventional pickup truck, I've found 20'-25' lengths better.

FYI, there is a goverment specified"Truck rope" that is required for cargo carriers. From my experiece with with polypro and other stiff ropes, Carrick and Double Fisherman's bends work best. Blood knots (incoil shown) are a pain and a half, but have the highest efficiency (retained strength).

Edited by Mark_R (04/22/14 08:38 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 554 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.