The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#26826 - 04/13/04 04:22 PM Re: does anyone still use a Mini Maglite
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I still have 2 AA mini Maglite and use them. They meet my requirements and run on my standard cell size. So they see more action than my other flashlights. My keychain for the bike has a solitaire. I have a couple of photon II as backup and a surefire as really bright light.
My AAA mini Maglite didnīt see too much action lately. Iīll probably give it away to my niece.

#26827 - 04/13/04 04:56 PM Re: does anyone still use a Mini Maglite
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
I still have some around, I keep them because they hold up so well. I keep them in the tool box, trauma bag and BOBs. There always seem to be good deals on them, espeacially around the holidays and at the large chain stores. I replaced the AA maglite for EDC with a SureFire Nitrolon and keep a Photon on my keyring. There is always a Mini Mag somewhere close by both at home and in the vehicles.

#26828 - 04/13/04 08:47 PM Re: Leatherman Juice -- A Tool for the Urban Dweller
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I used a Juice C2, for a while, only because :
- it's smaller than the PST (easier to fit in my belt pack)
- it has a corkscrew (so I didn't have to keep a knife + corkscrew set)

As soon as I receive my new combo sheath (PST + Surefire 6P), I will keep the Juice in some other pack. And I will again EDC a nice gentleman folder with corkscrew (and keep the more aggressive looking folding rescue knife out of sight).

#26829 - 04/14/04 12:32 AM Re: does anyone still use a Mini Maglite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure why, but I have more trouble with batteries corroding in Mag Lites than any other flashlight. I try to keep an eye on them, but I have lost 2 of the 3-4 battery lights to battery corrosion. Something to do with the aluminium case?

#26830 - 04/14/04 04:19 AM Re: does anyone still use a Mini Maglite
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used to love Maglites. We still keep solitaires by the bed and have two of the monster multi-d cell Mags for walking the dog, blackouts, etc. Like everyone else though, I've been moving to LEDs for their power frugality if not their brightness and I'd never take an incandescent bulb camping again. (And I think the SOS beacon on the Microlight III is a hoot -- too bad the Armed Forces don't teach morse code anymore.)

However, after reading about the new ultra-LEDs, I think it's time to replace the monster Maglites with something like the Elektro Lumens FT-3C (reviewed here), which throws off more than enough light, i.e, 72 lumens, for 12 hours. It's $60, which is still on the higher end of the spectrum for a flashlight, but will easily pay for itself in battery savings quickly enough.

#26831 - 04/14/04 01:05 PM Re: does anyone still use a Mini Maglite
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I still use maglites. They are not bad lights even if there are newer designs out there. Just because a woodworker has routers and saws and such doesn't mean they can't use a hand plane or sandpaper for certain jobs, i.e. there is nothing wrong with older tech just because its older, if it gets the job done then use it. For outdoors atuff I haven't found leds to shine as far as a plain old mag. But if you want there are plenty of led upgrade modules for mags.

#26832 - 04/15/04 03:50 AM Re: does anyone still use a Mini Maglite
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Nope. My Princeton Tec collection and Surfire collection has them beat. However, in my truck, it's still a big 'ol "D" Cell Maglight I use.

#26833 - 04/15/04 02:12 PM Re: does anyone still use a Mini Maglite
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I still have a AAA Mini Maglite I catty when camping, but I don't use it much. Too easy to have the photo at hand for a little light. BTW, I recall a thread about converting a AA Maglite to an LED. Is there a link for AAA conversions? Thanks

#26834 - 04/15/04 04:51 PM Re: Leatherman Juice -- A Tool for the Urban Dweller
m9key Offline

Loc: florida
the juice line of lm very nice i have the xe6, and out of that realm i just got the crunch both are very handy i think the crunch vice grip idea was a smart move by lm

#26835 - 04/16/04 03:34 AM Re: does anyone still use a Mini Maglite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very interesting comment, Skater, because I just lost a AA Mini-Mag (nearly unused one just for emergency purposes) recently. I actually forgot it was sitting in a sock drawer. :-)

I have a bunch of Mini Mags... one in my room, one in the library (office whatever), one in the car, and one in the parents' room (that's the one that corroded though). Have two 3D cells. Love the toughness of Mag-Lites and am extremely impressed with their reliability, durability, and brightness. Seeing as it is that there are other, better, LEDs out there, is there
1) any one company's LED lights that are simply amazing?
2) any reason why incandescant lamps are still more popular than LED flashlights?

I'm very impressed with my Mini Mag AA... carry it just about everything. But I'm all up for learning about new technology.

Xing

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.