Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#268029 - 03/12/14 03:46 AM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: bsmith]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the photos you linked via PM. I think you should share a few here, along with some safety notes. And how do you maintain those great old saws? Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW, what's with the absolute restriction on wheels? Philosophical line in the sand? Reduction of erosion channels? Just curious.

-Doug

P.S., Volunteers absolutely rock!

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/12/14 03:47 AM)

#268031 - 03/12/14 11:53 AM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think the restriction of wheels is mostly philosophical. Probably horses, which are fine, cause as many problems as wheels would.

I totally agree with you about volunteers. I have both utilized the services of volunteers and been one myself.Many worthwhile things in both the Park Service and the Forest Service would not get done, if it were not for voluneers...

#268033 - 03/12/14 02:19 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: dougwalkabout]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
And how do you maintain those great old saws? Inquiring minds want to know.
-Doug

P.S., Volunteers absolutely rock!

I will let bsmith chime in but I would expect that the saws are new ones. They are still made and are readily available on the market. http://www.benmeadows.com/two-man-crosscut-saw-without-handles-55l-x-5-516w_s_150357/

Maintainence is the same as it always was, clean the sap with mineral spirits (or some other cleaner) and protect them with a preservative like oil, tallow, wax, corrosion inhibitor, etc. Just make sure the surface is smooth, not tacky. Otherwise it makes it harder to pull through the tree. A file to sharpen every day and you are good to go. Much easier to maintain than a chainsaw, but more effort to use - most of the time. When you have to carry it a long way for a few cuts, the crosscut can be lots easier over the day. Or if the gas is bad, plug wire breaks, etc. Sometimes KISS is best.

You are absolutely right about volunteers, they keep much of this country going.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#268034 - 03/12/14 04:10 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: dougwalkabout]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
And how do you maintain those great old saws? Inquiring minds want to know.

in our area we are fortunate to have a forest service volunteer who has been a sawyer for years and has taken it upon himself to maintain the saws. as i am discovering, this seems to be the case in other areas as well.

these saws are old. the 'golden age' of cross cut saws was 1880 - 1930. i keep reading that the saws made today do not have the same type steel nor workmanship. i have no personal experience with the new saws. but the old ones sure do the job!

regarding maintaining the saws, i'm told that 'sharpening' a saw takes about one hour per foot of the saw. one has to make sure the saw is straight, set the set, one has to measure, adjust and ensure that the raker teeth are at the right depth below the cutter teeth, and then one has to sharpen the cutters. and not necessarily in that order. there are specialized tools and instruments - that are no longer made - for these tasks and can be found if one looks. touch-ups may be possible in the field, but discouraged as the teeth can bite!

to see what it takes, go here: Warren Miller, Crossut Saw Manual and open the pdf.

it is also possible to find services online that will sharpen these for you. it appears they are also past forest service employees / volunteers who have learned through experience.

for an in-depth look at the sawyer process, which makes for very interesting reading, see the forest service manual here: Saws that Sing

there is an updated version of the usfs manual, but not much has changed.

#268035 - 03/12/14 05:49 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: bsmith]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the links! Great stuff.

#268046 - 03/13/14 06:37 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: bsmith]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
bsmith,

Thanks for the links!!!! I have never seen a long joiner. Now I want one. (Even though I don't have a two man saw any more.)

Good reads both.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#268049 - 03/13/14 07:09 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: dougwalkabout]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

as requested, these photos are from a project in our area. chainsaws not allowed - two-man saw does the job. trail now passable to people and stock.

note log across trail. assessing worksite for hazards.

work site discussion.

beginning first cut - downhill side.

beginning second cut - uphill side.

saw jammed at unseen rotted wood near bottom of log.

unjammed saw, second cut finished, moving log.

mission accomplished.

note hardhats, eye protection, long sleeves, long pants, gloves and boots.

Edited by bsmith (03/13/14 07:11 PM)
Edit Reason: larger photos

#268050 - 03/13/14 07:12 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: dougwalkabout]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Thanks for the links! Great stuff.

at your service.

#268051 - 03/13/14 07:14 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: JerryFountain]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
bsmith,

Thanks for the links!!!! I have never seen a long joiner. Now I want one. (Even though I don't have a two man saw any more.)

Good reads both.

you are welcome.

the saws are a piece of history and lore that remain indispensable today.

we don't need no stinking chainsaws. laugh

#268073 - 03/14/14 02:32 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: bsmith]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
As one who has gaily tripped by cleared logs, glancing casually at the massive saw cuts, I owe you and your buddies a great many thank yous, especially since i have also fought my way through the tangle and jumbles of numerous windfalls. You make life easier for a lot of people.

Would your sawn log have been on the Reyes Peak trail by any chance?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 478 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.