Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#267754 - 02/28/14 01:51 AM Re: net pockets on backpacks; the good, the bad and [Re: TeacherRO]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
I never liked the idea of them and I always have found them problematic. When I first tried to use them my Nalegens tended to fall. Guessing they got squeezed up and out as I moved with them, sat down or bent over.

One laptop backpack I had for work (used to travel about 45 weeks a year for many years) had them and I lost a water bottle, countless soda bottles and a few snack bars, usually on a plane where it was stuffed under the seat in front of me.

It has gotten to the point where I will only use them if I'm willing to lose what I put in them and I generally am not willing to lose anything anymore.

High Sierra used to make a large laptop backpack that had tall/deep zippered side pockets but they would only last me a year and after going through two, at + $100 each, I relented and moved to a Swiss gear pack that had the two zippered side pockets in lieu of the netting pockets, but those were about 30% smaller and barely fit a 24oz bottle.

I had to look quite a while to find zippered side pocket in a laptop bag and rarely see them in a BOB-type pack.

If anyone has good suggestions, please share.

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#267756 - 02/28/14 01:59 AM Re: net pockets on backpacks; the good, the bad and [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My GR1 has lasted extremely well. When I need a water bottle pocket i use this one http://www.itstactical.com/store/hydration/its-skeletonized-bottle-holder/ and it works great.

No affiliation.

#267758 - 02/28/14 03:14 AM Re: net pockets on backpacks; the good, the bad and [Re: TeacherRO]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
My North Face Recon backpack has two mesh side water bottle pockets. Each pocket has elastic cord with a slide lock. You just put in the bottle, slide the lock tight then loop the loop on the other side of the lock over the neck of the bottle. Since it is elastic, it stays tight. I have never had anything fall out.

The pockets do snag occasionally, but so do straps, etc.

The Recon also has a large outside mesh pocket on the back. This also has a fastening clip. I have it stuffed with small things (mostly snacks) and nothing has ever fallen out. The mesh makes it much easier to find things.

OK, I hate to admit it, but it was my SO's idea to use the excess end of the loop to put over the bottle neck.

#267786 - 03/01/14 03:26 AM Re: net pockets on backpacks; the good, the bad and [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I've found that the smaller daypacks with a mesh pocket on the outside are VERY handy. but I don't use them in the wilderness. I use them as an "urban pack" ... often when overseas. its super handy to be able to toss a couple of items under the mesh, like bandana, some sunscreen, or a soft hat (rolled up).

cheers,
Pete

#267792 - 03/02/14 01:04 AM Re: net pockets on backpacks; the good, the bad and [Re: wildman800]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: wildman800
What about lacing a shoelace around the opening, through the netting. Instant drawstring closure.

Modification worked like a charm! My nalgene is now confidently secure in the netting pocket. I'm going to leave the lanyard for a few weeks to make sure but every looks great.

Thanks.

#267797 - 03/02/14 08:26 PM Re: net pockets on backpacks; the good, the bad and [Re: TeacherRO]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Was thinking about this a bit more while driving on a day trip yesterday.

Didn't mention before that I will keep wet items (bandana, gloves, pack towel, etc) in the mesh pockets in a camping/hiking/wilderness setting to help reduce dry time. I have never lost these.

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#268261 - 03/17/14 08:40 PM Re: net pockets on backpacks; the good, the bad and [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Still, I'm staying away from side net pockets...

#268263 - 03/17/14 09:12 PM Re: net pockets on backpacks; the good, the bad and [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The net side pockets on my Mountainsmith waist pack are of mesh. No tears in about five years of fairly steady, moderate use.

Not all mesh is the same. The mesh on my pack is a tightly woven synthetic; I have seen some mesh pockets on other brands with more loosely woven material. My impression is that any of the packs from main stream manufacturers are durable and will give satisfactory service.

#268388 - 03/20/14 07:11 PM Re: net pockets on backpacks; the good, the bad and [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I've always avoided netting pockets on the outsides of backpacks, on the principle that they would snag or wear out --Has anyone had experience with this?

My daypack (9 yr old Northface Recon) has a mesh back. One day I decided to try fitting my hardhat in it -- that was a mistake because now everything is stretched out. I don't use it a lot because there is no way to secure the top and smaller items can fall out. I do find it handy for wet items to hang out for a while - like a rain jacket or hat. I found I used it for things like gloves and my maps for ready access. It also comes in handy while geocaching because I can carry a ziploc bag of goodies for trading and refurbishing older caches.

It also has 2 mesh pockets on the sides that are great because they can be used for either waterbottles or in my case my camera and GPS. They can be cinched down tight with cord locks, nothing has ever fallen out. They don't seem to a problem snagging on anything in the bush but then again I try to stay out of the real dense stuff! smile The back pocket is the one that snags for some reason, maybe its because of my ducking under branches but I always seem to have lots of tiny twigs collecting in it.

Edited by Roarmeister (03/20/14 07:13 PM)

#269537 - 04/28/14 08:38 PM Re: net pockets on backpacks; the good, the bad and [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Never trust pockets with open tops (I'm pretty sure this is one of the NCIS rules)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
05/31/24 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.