The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267691 - 02/26/14 04:23 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Mark_F]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Mark.. I had an older Helly Hansen raincoat/parka that was long, but I'm only 5'10... I typically don't buy clothes on line, so YMMV... sorry.. early in my teaching career, parents of one of my students were itinerant salmon fishers (long gill net) in Alaska, and that was the only brand that would hold up for them..

#267695 - 02/26/14 05:31 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Treeseeker]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
It is now 14 years old and still hasn't leaked.

Goretex is pretty durable and long lasting and well worth the price for a Jacket and overtrouser. I bought some Goretex gear back in the early 1990s during a sale and it is still perfectly functional.

I have a Berghaus Extreme 7000 jacket, it must be old, it says that it was made in Gt Britain on the inside label. grin It just needs a wash and reproofed to bring it back to life.

I also bought some Sprayway Goretex overtrousers at the same time. I need to go look for them as I haven't used them for a few years.

I seem to remember buying them with a Coleman 440 liquid fuel stove and one of the early Thermarests, together with some 20 year old un-used Berghaus Mountaineering Boots (if I find a pair of boots I like I buy a spare pair). It was all good reliable, durable and functional kit back then, if a little heavier than the kit available today.

If you can afford it, go for Goretex or eVent 3 layer technology. Search around for online deals. There are some excellent deals around. For example I have been able to get a nice Jacket deal with RRP of £300 for £60 from a quality manufacture before the sizes become more and more restricted.

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/2980/Laksen-GoreTex-shooting-Jacket/

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/26/14 05:34 PM)

#267735 - 02/27/14 07:00 AM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Mark_F]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i got a LLBean light weight jacket in the early 90's and use it on the canoe trips.i can stuff it in the side pocket of my Duluth pack where i can get it out fast.the pants are from Cabelas and i got those because i wanted something a bit more heavy than the light weight ones that came with the Bean jacket.the Cabelas have double knees and seat which i want for kneeling in the canoe or in camp or sitting which you do a lot of canoe tripping.
i had a zipper fly put in the pants and sewed on lighter weight elastic suspenders to keep the pants pulled way up.i found out the hard way you get a gap sitting in a canoe for hours that the water running down the back of the jacket flows right into.thats one of those "it depends" things as hiking the jacket would cover the top of the pants with no problem.
a buddy has a heavy set of rain gear,Helly Hanson,and he gos thru a lot of hassle to pack something,it has bibs,that would be at home on a North Sea oil rig.

#267738 - 02/27/14 02:23 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Mark_F]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Add a reasonable quality poncho. Go over everything and has a pleplora of uses.

#267746 - 02/27/14 06:58 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Mark_F]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i take a poncho and a rain suit.i canoe country we get sudden heavy downpours that only last a few minutes.problem is you can't seen them coming.down in a lake with hills all around you don't get a good view and what looks like blue open sky ahead will turn into rain when a storm moves in from behind.

the poncho is not only handy to cover the packs and keep the canoe from getting too wet inside it also serves as a quick way to cover up.pulling a rain suit on in a canoe is tricky and takes some time so just pulling the poncho out of a side pouch on the pack and pulling it over takes seconds.i marked the bottom front of mine with a bit of red duct tape.faced with a wad of poncho that turns into a huge sheet with no up or down,back or front visible at first that red tag gives me a starting point.

#267747 - 02/27/14 09:20 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

i marked the bottom front of mine with a bit of red duct tape.faced with a wad of poncho that turns into a huge sheet with no up or down,back or front visible at first that red tag gives me a starting point.

That's a great idea

#267752 - 02/28/14 01:08 AM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Mark_F]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I live in a much more temperate climate than most, a 3mil contractor bag to pull over my lower body, a vinyl coated nylon poncho, AMK heat sheet, boonie hat with mosquito head net, and a pair of lightweight cotton gloves is currently my sleep set... most likely sitting against a tree in an upright type position... not the best, but most probable...

#267761 - 02/28/14 05:40 AM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

i take a poncho and a rain suit.i canoe country we get sudden heavy downpours that only last a few minutes.problem is you can't seen them coming.down in a lake with hills all around you don't get a good view and what looks like blue open sky ahead will turn into rain when a storm moves in from behind.

the poncho is not only handy to cover the packs and keep the canoe from getting too wet inside it also serves as a quick way to cover up.pulling a rain suit on in a canoe is tricky and takes some time so just pulling the poncho out of a side pouch on the pack and pulling it over takes seconds.i marked the bottom front of mine with a bit of red duct tape.faced with a wad of poncho that turns into a huge sheet with no up or down,back or front visible at first that red tag gives me a starting point.

Man, that picture is giving me cabin fever! Winter still has South Dakota in its icy grip...it's -2 F right now.

#267765 - 02/28/14 03:56 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I've used ponchos in the past, I liked the freedom of movement and the built in venting of sorts they provided, but my feet and lower legs always got wet, so that's why i'm looking at getting a pants/coat combo.

Last year at scout camp, I "made do" with the rain gear I had on hand, a bright orange pullover nylon (I think) jacket I had bought from the local University bookstore on clearance. I thought it was a waterproof rain jacket at the time for some reason. I also had a non-matching pair of red waterproof (or so I thought) pants. During the week we experienced a downpour, my "making do" rain gear left me soaked. Luckily that was the only incident during the week, but I'd like to get a better set of dedicated rain gear before summer camp. Keeping dry (relatively anyway) top to bottom while going from tent to tent to check up on the boys is a definite feature I am looking for, but after seeing all the great suggestions, now I'm thinking something vented or breathable would be a plus too. I'm not hugely tall, a tad over 6', but my arms are long and lanky and sleeve length is usually an issue on regular sized items, so I like to get tall sizes whenever available.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies, if anyone has more suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

#267767 - 02/28/14 04:06 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When it is warm enough, I like to wear shorts with a poncho. My legs are fairly waterproof. The boots will get damp, but if there are creek crossings, that will be a non-issue anyway - you just become as one with the rain.

This is easy to say as I sit in a nice snug house, with rain (finally) coming down.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 520 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.