Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#267562 - 02/20/14 08:54 PM Emergency Prep "Tip of the Week" ideas...
GettingThere Offline

Suppose you were given the responsibility of determining the content for a large public company's "Tip of the Week" section on their Emergency Preparedness Facebook page. You are mandated to keep the material relevant and concise, and to assume a wide, varied demographics with little knowledge/skill level. What subjects would you include in your weekly message?

#267564 - 02/20/14 09:09 PM Re: Emergency Prep "Tip of the Week" ideas... [Re: GettingThere]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Currently, preparation for snow storms is a hot topic for a large number of people in the Northern Hemisphere. Drought topics should be pressing right now in California because we are talking about "preparation" after all. Unfortunately, prep discussions for a drought won't be that pressing until people are mandated not to water their lawns this summer.

#267565 - 02/20/14 09:16 PM Re: Emergency Prep "Tip of the Week" ideas... [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Really? My current temperature is around 67F, with light wind and bright sunshine. Of course,we are in the midst of a searing drought, with the ever present threat of earthquakes....

Unless your audience is relatively concentrated, I would suggest something like "Discover our Local Hazard Profile"...

Interesting question

#267567 - 02/20/14 09:34 PM Re: Emergency Prep "Tip of the Week" ideas... [Re: GettingThere]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hikermor -- Why so cool? My current temperature is 84F, with very light wind and bright sunshine. Can't wait for the June gloom to roll in and cool things down wink

Originally Posted By: GettingThere
Suppose you were given the responsibility of determining the content for a large public company's "Tip of the Week" section on their Emergency Preparedness Facebook page. You are mandated to keep the material relevant and concise, and to assume a wide, varied demographics with little knowledge/skill level. What subjects would you include in your weekly message?
Is this for folks in said large public company or for anyone who hits your website? This time of year maybe cold weather prep, next May start thinking hot weather prep, Hurricane season prep, Earthquake prep -- think of a natural disaster or what used to be called weather and put together a package to deal with various conditions. What was that post about getting caught out after watching the sunset? Oh yeah, it got dark, so maybe some ideas about EDC and things folks should consider carrying, like a small flashlight.

Maybe make a few points about knives being tools. They're giving you a soapbox...

#267568 - 02/20/14 09:39 PM Re: Emergency Prep "Tip of the Week" ideas... [Re: GettingThere]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I have relatives who have never experienced snow, but the events in Atlanta have made them interested in snow storm preparation. The knowledge would be good for them.

Likewise, you don't have to live in drought territory to benefit from drought preparation. Chances are you know several people who live in drought territory, or you may be visiting drought territory.

A good rule of thumb for this topic is to focus prep around what is hot in the news. Using such a rule, the preparation may be too late in many circumstances. However, if you post winter prep at the beginning of summer for example, then only a few people will swing by your Facebook page to read those tips.

#267570 - 02/20/14 10:06 PM Re: Emergency Prep "Tip of the Week" ideas... [Re: Russ]
GettingThere Offline

Originally Posted By: Russ
Is this for folks in said large public company or for anyone who hits your website?

I apologize -- I should have been more clear. The page would be for the public at large. And by concise, I meant that the content should be about a couple of paragraphs in length, with hypertext links for more info.

That reminds me -- The first time my mother, may she rest in peace, ever heard me mention hypertext links, she thought I was talking about a new type of sausage. I still chuckle over that one.

#267573 - 02/20/14 10:46 PM Re: Emergency Prep "Tip of the Week" ideas... [Re: GettingThere]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
How about a re-hash of the must have items, either Red Cross or FEMA?

#267575 - 02/20/14 11:19 PM Re: Emergency Prep "Tip of the Week" ideas... [Re: GettingThere]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
to touch on what JBMat commented.. explain why that particular item is included... when Homeland Security and FEMA included a roll of duct tape, there were a lot of "jokes" thrown around by the evening news people... explain that it might be necessary to seal off your residence in case of a chemical, biological, or radiological incident... not everyone has the memory of the SCUD missile attacks on Israel, and the threat of chemical weapons...

#267576 - 02/20/14 11:19 PM Re: Emergency Prep "Tip of the Week" ideas... [Re: GettingThere]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Training, training, training! If nothing else, everyone should take CPR and basic first aid training.

#267581 - 02/21/14 12:14 AM Re: Emergency Prep "Tip of the Week" ideas... [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
While different areas face different hazards, one common problem is fire, either wild or structural. We could all potentially face the tricky hazards of downed high voltage lines, as well.

And yes, Chaosman is right, FA and CPR are fundamental. All sentient adults should have at least this much training.

Edited by hikermor (02/21/14 12:16 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 290 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.