Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#267592 - 02/21/14 12:50 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: haertig]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
chaosmagnet,

It is only with water inside that freezing causes problems for a filter. When dry there is no problem. With ceramic filters it cracks the filter element. My Katadyn has frozen many times, when dry, but not damaged. I suspect, the way the Sawyer is designed, that freezing would enlarge the openings in the hollow fibers.

deathwind,

In the US (unless you are downstream from human habitation) any one of the three will work just fine. Boiling works every time for bacteria, cysts and virus. Filtering works for bacteria and cysts (virus are a limited problem in the US). There are "filters" that work on virus (the Sawyer .02 series as an example). They are called purifyers. Tablets work for bacteria and virus, but only a few work on cysts and that requires time (hours in most cases).

Respectfully,

Jerry

#267597 - 02/21/14 04:40 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: haertig]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
The Sawyer Mini looks like a great product, I think I might have to pick one up smile. I had my eye on the Sawyer Squeeze product at the end of last year but didn't end up getting one, so this smaller, cheaper one looks even better (I just wish MEC stocked them so I didn't have to go online).

I use a SteriPen for water purification right now, but I've decided I want to pair it with a filter to get better quality water when not pulling the water from a pristine stream.

#267602 - 02/21/14 06:08 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just ran across this tidbit lookingat a survey of Pacific Crest Trail hikers - the last comment is fitting for this thread and its discussion of the Sawyer filter:

Go lighter.
More expensive doesn’t mean better.
Get a good down sleeping bag.
Good gear is worth the investment.
You will get sick of your Sawyer Squeeze.

I have no experience with the Sawyer line(Iam a "boil it"guy myself - the other comments make good sense too....

These were people who were hiking for months on end,not just using their gear intermittently.

#267608 - 02/21/14 08:36 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
You will get sick of your Sawyer Squeeze.

At least they said "you will get sick of...", not "you will get sick with..."

I assume they're probably talking about the frequent backflushing that is assumedly required to get it to filter the amount of water it says it will.

#267610 - 02/21/14 08:52 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: haertig]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Yes, if I am hiking for long periods I would opt for a gravity fed system if I am using a filter as my primary water purification method. The squeeze is a good emergency system, but larger than the mini.

#267620 - 02/22/14 06:32 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: haertig]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Jerry

Thanks for the information.
Any insight on my Frontier filter?

#267648 - 02/24/14 03:36 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: haertig]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Deathwind,

I have never used the Frontier, but they do not meet the EPA standards for bacterial removal and don't even make the testing they discuss available on their web site. In most US sites, cysts and bacteria are the two most important problems. Although they remove cysts, the hardest to treat with chemicals, they don't show their removal of bacteria (easier to treat with chem methods). Since the straw does not allow for chemical treatment, I would be reluctant to use it in any but the most pristine environments. Since it uses activated charcoal as part of its removal process, it also has a shelf life of a few years. Check that the unit is in good shape, several reviews have indicated damaged units taken from the package. I would keep it for an emergency kit until it expires.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#267672 - 02/25/14 06:45 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: JerryFountain]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Jerry
I have it in the belt kit I'm working on. It came from the package in pristine condition, But had a stiff straw instead of a flexabile one. What I found amusing was they show people drinking directly from stream with the unit, but on the package they suggest using a cup., As if a cup will make up for it's short comings.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 278 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.