Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#267410 - 02/16/14 04:55 PM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: Mark_F]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I found that thebig insurance companies didn't care about pictures or videos, they wanted proof of purchase. So I've been scanning and organizing receipts ever since.

#267463 - 02/18/14 03:14 PM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: bws48]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: bws48

Electric: Probably a good idea to cut the main switch at the box if the water starts getting in. However, the mains coming into the box would still be live, so if the box goes under water, who know what might happen. Something to look into with the power company or a good electrician.

The breaker box is elevated on the wall at a level comparable with the living area 1 foot above the BFE and level with the road in front of the house. If the water gets up that high we'll be aboard the arc with noah.

Originally Posted By: bws48

Gas: Normally, there is a main gas valve. Make sure you know where it is and cut it off also. Main concern would be stresses on the house causing a gas leak. You don't want that. Again, it might be worth a call to the gas company or certified tech for specific recommendations, if any.

Someoe from the gas company had to come out to the house during the recent cold snaps, he removed some of the old equipment and installed some brand new equipment, complete with an easy to get to shut off valve. The down side is, it's in a lower part of the back yard, water has come up high enough to get over the meter before, whie still not getting high enough to reach even the foundation of the house.

Originally Posted By: bws

I am not at all familiar with the type of septic system you have.

It works almost like a regular septic system with a few minor differences. There is an initial holding tank where the raw sewage and waste water comes in. This has an aerator, basically a small motor with a long pipe that goes down into the water/sewage/generally nasty stuff. Four prongs at the end of the pipe serve to agitate, or aerate, the stuff. As the solids break down enough, they go through the next stages of the system, which include several filters, a leech bed of sorts, and finally a chlorinator which treats any excess runoff from the system before being discharged via a pipe into the river.

I need to check into whether or not we have a backflow preventor at that point in the system, as it is very susceptible to rising flood waters in the river.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.