Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267408 - 02/16/14 04:41 AM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: benjammin]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Y'all should really check out the Sawyer filter system.

http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/

+1 on this. The thing that the Sawyer filter has going for it is a tremendously large user base. The Sawyer filter, then later the mini version, is the go-to water treatment method for the ultralight hiking crowd. This has yielded a huge amount of user experience feedback, which the Lifestraw simply doesn't have.

I used the original Sawyer filter for a couple years with no problems then moved to the Mini just for space considerations. Excellent gear. As with any filter, the dirtier the raw water is the more up-front processing you need to do before filtering.

The Sawyer filters work so well that it is easy to integrate them into an on-demand system for drinking on the go, then in camp you can easily convert them to mass-production gravity systems. Extremely versatile.

#267417 - 02/17/14 04:47 AM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: haertig]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I missed the 0.02 micron filtration in the bulb and bucket lifestraw system. The post by EMP certainly makes sense. Here's what really trips me over; I blew $350 on a Micro ceramic filter a year ago, and now I am thinking I am going to have to get rid of it and buy some more Sawyers.

I also bought one of the bigger Sawyer filters, it claims 1,000,000 gallon life. I could set up my own water processing plant with one of those.

#267418 - 02/17/14 05:10 AM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: benjammin]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Although I've got a handful of LifeStraws (Personal and Family) now, I'll probably be buying one of those Sawyers on my next trip to REI. They're so cheap for what they can do, why not? Backwash? Smackwash! I'll have so many of these things laying around in my collection that I'll just grab a new filter when one clogs. I'm an admitted flash-a-holic, with more flashlights laying around than I know what to do with. Is there such a thing as a filt-a-holic? It's not like I really ever, ahem, use the things. I'm just well prepared for any drinking disasters I might run into.

#267520 - 02/19/14 09:50 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: haertig]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I recent read that if you let the Sawyer freeze that it destroys it. I can't attest to this however. I'm highly doubtful of ANY filter that claims more than a few thousand gallons. We bought a countertop filter guaranteed for hundreds of thousands of gallons and within two months the water tasted and smelled bad. We returned it and the next one did the same thing in less than 45 days, plus it had a greyish tint. And that was using tap water. Maybe the industrial and group models like the Katadyn, but I personally would keep extra filters and parts on hand. Just one .mans humble opinion

#267538 - 02/20/14 08:08 AM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: haertig]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i'm lucky in that the only "wild" water i need to filter is the stuff i canoe around on in Northern Minnesota and i only filter if i can see crud in the lake,i often drink right out of the lakes.
so not having any problems i just have that katadyn hiker and rinse the filter after each two week trip.
ok so thats where i'm at on the subject.what i wanted to say is that i have seen the water filter issue come a long way since the 80's when i started with a Coghlans filter that was good to 2 microns,,thats 2 and not .2.
like flashlights using LED's filters have come a long way and i think it would be hard to get one that does not do the job.gravity filters seem to be the next big thing.the issue being price and ease of use.if the water you have to deal with is so nasty i would use bleach after running it thru a filter.
freezing and filters? i would think any filter that froze would be damaged in some way.
as we are on the subject of filters does anyone have any feed back to offer on that small one from China i see on Ebay for just under $30.OD in color and a ceramic cartridge.
Story,a true one..in the Outback a group of sheep ranchers needed water bad but the only water hole they found had a dead kangaroo in it,the horses would not even drink it.
they boiled the water in washtubs over and over with ash's from the fire in the boiling water.let cool it was safe to drink but still had that "dead roo" taste..

#267540 - 02/20/14 02:49 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I'm wondering about that filter myself canoedogs, need to buy one for our scouts to demonstrate using for their wilderness survival merit badge, debating between something cheap like that for now, or investing another 30 bucks to get a katadyn to last DS for a while down the road.

#267548 - 02/20/14 05:35 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: haertig]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
CANEDOGS, Mark,

If you are going to spend any money, my recommendation is to get the Sawyer Mini. I have all sorts of filters and other water treatment systems. The new technology of the Sawyer has made them less used. My primary systems are now the mini (where virus is not a problem) and the .02 Purifier for camp use and where virus is a problem. I have a decades old Katadyn that still works well, does the same thing as the mini, but it weighs many times what the Sawyer does. It also is harder to clean and wears the ceramic filter each time you clean it. My steri pen is great, but is heavier and uses batteries. Etc.

Freezing any filter destroy's it. The Sawyer is not alone in this problem. In fact, it might be easier to clear the water out of the Sawyer (use the syringe).

Deathwind, there is no reason the Sawyer cannot remain viable for 100's of thousands of gallons. Unlike ceramic filters that loose media with every cleaning, the hollow filters of the Sawyer do not wear and the ability to apply high pressure should clean out most if not all of the contaminents.

No association with Sawyer other than as a buyer, just a frequent user of water purification.

Sincerely,

Jerry

#267553 - 02/20/14 06:16 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

The Sawyer was mentioned in that so I don't know aboy what others are like if frozen Canoedogs.

#267555 - 02/20/14 06:28 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: JerryFountain]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I admittedly have limited experience with filters. I have used them but mainly I filter. them boil then use tablets just to be safe. Thanks for that information Jerry. I may look into the filter again..

#267571 - 02/20/14 10:43 PM Re: Water purification, "LifeStraw Family", on sale [Re: JerryFountain]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Freezing any filter destroy's it.

If I put the Sawyer Mini in my car, unopened and in the box, will freezing (and thawing, and freezing, and baking...) destroy it? Or is it only destroyed if frozen with water inside?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, brandtb), 295 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.