Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#267284 - 02/11/14 07:19 AM End of WinXP - and a coming storm?
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
This may be OT, but then again maybe not. Economic survival is part of the big picture.

As most/all of you know, the venerable Windows XP operating system will cease to have any support, including security updates, as of April 2014.

Some estimates say that nearly 30% of networked computers, including ATMs and point-of-sale machines, still run XP and will likely continue to do so. This article, FWIW, suggests the possible vulnerabilities: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/...7918/story.html

Now, I know of some systems with extremely specialized, proprietary software that will run XP buried deep within corporate firewalls. Not really an issue.

But I suspect a lot of people on the small business and consumer side will not pay much attention until they have been compromised. Not good. Possible feeding frenzy for crooks.

Anyway, I'm curious what measures other ETS members have taken regarding this. If there's any interest, I'll post the measures I've been testing as well.

Cheers,
Doug(wa_)

#267285 - 02/11/14 07:46 AM Re: End of WinXP - and a coming storm? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The North Korean Version of Windows XP is a little difficult to get hold off, but it could become quite popular after they back engineered it and plugged up all the security holes, but using it would probably mean a knock at the door by Bill's associates and you might find yourself hanging from a tree. e.g. A: becomes C: wink

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/bo...-windows-8.html

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/11/14 07:47 AM)

#267287 - 02/11/14 02:31 PM Re: End of WinXP - and a coming storm? [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Now, I know of some systems with extremely specialized, proprietary software that will run XP buried deep within corporate firewalls. Not really an issue.

The old model of keeping bad things out of the network with a firewall is largely ineffective in modern "borderless" networks. With few exceptions, networks are not architected to defend against malware spreading from the inside, nor are cumbersome security measures taken to prevent malware from being brought in by laptops, thumb drives and other devices.

Embedded XP devices are going to be compromised in even greater numbers until corporations do away with them.

#267294 - 02/11/14 08:59 PM Re: End of WinXP - and a coming storm? [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Just update to Windows 7. I hate Vista and Windows 8. Hopefully, I can skip those and hold out until Windows 9. I contemplate moving over to Apple IOS, but the prices keep giving me pause.

#267295 - 02/11/14 09:48 PM Re: End of WinXP - and a coming storm? [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Just update to Windows 7.

Vista was a train wreck and Windows 8 is worse. The problem for WinXP users is that Win7 won't run on most older hardware. Replacing the hardware means getting the new OS that's bundled with it, at least for most consumers. Nobody wants Win8 so WinXP soldiers on.

In embedded systems it's just as bad, as the embedded devices generally need to be completely replaced.

#267300 - 02/11/14 11:58 PM Re: End of WinXP - and a coming storm? [Re: ireckon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Just update to Windows 7. I hate Vista and Windows 8. Hopefully, I can skip those and hold out until Windows 9. I contemplate moving over to Apple IOS, but the prices keep giving me pause.

No need to. The same old hardware runs any modern Linux distro fine. iOS is just an annoying front end on top of BSD, you can configure window managers in Linux to look just like iOS if you really want. Its free and everything just works.

I made the switch right after buying a a laptop with XP and XP was just a less stable version of 2000.

#267301 - 02/12/14 12:00 AM Re: End of WinXP - and a coming storm? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Embedded XP devices are going to be compromised in even greater numbers until corporations do away with them.

<cough> Target </cough>

Actually it was WinCE not XPembedded IIRC

Edited by Eugene (02/12/14 12:01 AM)

#267303 - 02/12/14 01:36 AM Re: End of WinXP - and a coming storm? [Re: chaosmagnet]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
If you're buying new, you can still get Windows 7 factory installed. We just got a new desktop in at the office with it. Windows 7 on older equipment depends on your definition of older. It runs well on an HP DV1000 series laptop. It was 2-3 years old when I upgraded it from XP to Vista. It got 7 put on as soon as I ran the upgrade checker.

#267305 - 02/12/14 03:02 AM Re: End of WinXP - and a coming storm? [Re: UTAlumnus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
If you're seriously concerned about security, you don't run Windows. Period. However, most people make the choice to run Windows anyway. Some based on a feeling that they can secure it adequately, others due to plain ignorance (they don't even realize there is a threat). There is an entire high-dollar industry built around selling you stuff to "protect" your Windows computer. Everyone is allowed to make their own choices and live with the consequences of their choices. To each their own. Live and let live. Run the operating system of your choice.

As far as older WindowsXP inbedded in ATM's and other stuff, there's not much you can do to protect yourself there except to not use ATM's and other stuff when they become unsecure. I do not know if they have reached that point yet, of when they may reach that point.

#267307 - 02/12/14 03:17 AM Re: End of WinXP - and a coming storm? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The problem with switching to a free OS like Linux is 1) no support division and 2) no one to sue if there's a problem with it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 549 Guests and 113 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.