Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#267267 - 02/10/14 11:59 AM Re: You're a Scout Leader. What's in your backpack? [Re: etehiver]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Murphy is always present at Scouting activities!

#267269 - 02/10/14 03:16 PM Re: You're a Scout Leader. What's in your backpack? [Re: etehiver]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Always pack an extra 1-2 quarts more than the outing requires. More than once we've had scouts go down when they were dehydrated, or temps were higher than expected.

The 10 E's covers most of what you need. Just beef up the FAK as you have, with kid doses of meds. I'd be leary about handing out meds if you don't have permission slips, though, with today's culture.

An extra beanie, gloves, a few AA batteries. Invariably there's a kid that forgets something. I mean, hell, I once forgot a sleeping bag and I was 16. Oops.

Definitely be good w/ first aid, and be killer w/ a map and compass. GPS are nice, but batteries fail. Plus you don't want ot be the putz that needs to check the GPS every time there's a trail junction. Kind of makes it hard for the kids to get their orienteering badges if you're clueless.

Don't be a helicopter dad. On our backpacking trips (Weblos and higher), most of the time after we set up the tent, we were gone ... for hours ... until it was getting dark and dinner needed to be made. Just buddy system, make sure the kids pack their 10E's (we usually had a fanny pack or smaller backpack to keep them around) and enjoy your coffee as they scramble around and explore.

#267270 - 02/10/14 04:38 PM Re: You're a Scout Leader. What's in your backpack? [Re: etehiver]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"I'd be leary about handing out meds if you don't have permission slips, though, with today's culture. " Indeed, one should be. Going by the manual, medications are not within the scope of first aid, other than items prescribed for the individual and carried by that person. I am sure there may be a few minor exceptions, but they don't come readily to mind.

Edited by hikermor (02/10/14 09:09 PM)

#267273 - 02/10/14 08:38 PM Re: You're a Scout Leader. What's in your backpack? [Re: etehiver]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
After spending 5 years in cub scouting with my son, and now getting close to wrapping up his first year in a boy scout troop, here is my .02 worth.

First and foremost, get a guide to safe scouting. You can find the free PDF here: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416.pdf

You will find this quick reference guide to age appropriate scouting activities helpful as well: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416_Insert_Web.pdf

As you can see, under aquatics, any boating activity is only approved for district or council events for cub scouts.

I agree with everyone else about not dispensing medications, even over the counter meds, to a scout (required personal medications should be administered by the parent attending the event). I would go so far as to say don’t even give it to a parent to give to the child. If something goes wrong, guess who is liable? Don’t think for a second giving it to the parent first removes you of any/all liability. Consider this as well: If something goes wrong, and you have not followed BSA guidelines, you will not be covered under the BSA umbrella insurance liability policy. Leave it up to the parents to bring medications to administer themselves to their own child. At the Cub Scout level parents should be there with their child anyway. If you are at a district or council run event, and they don’t have medications with them, send them to the first aid station. DO NOT under any but the direst circumstances take that liability on yourself. At the Webelos and Boy Scouts you may need to administer personal meds as you may go camping independently, but as others have suggested, get permission slips as needed.

I agree what others have mentioned about training. Make sure you also include all the appropriate BSA training for Cub Scout Leaders.

Ken has it spot on. You won’t be doing much with cub scouts that will take you very far from having access to your vehicles or medical help. Cub Scouts, even Webelos, may only camp where they have access to running water and working bathrooms. This usually means car camping at an established campground. That said, now is a great time to be getting the knowledge, training and gear together for when your son does cross over to a Boy Scout Troop. The knowledge and skills you pick up now will be a HUGE help.

So what’s in the pack? Well, when the troop put their packs together for the First Tenderfoot requirement, we went by the checklists in the BSA handbook. First were the ten essentials: Pocketknife, First aid kit (per the BSA personal first aid kit list), Extra clothing, Rain gear, Water bottle (1 liter/quart), Flashlight or headlamp, Trail food, Matches/Fire starter, Sun protection (hat, sunglasses, sunscreen), and finally Map and compass. Additionally we added the personal camping items: Sleeping bag or blankets, sleeping pad, ground cloth. Eating kit (Knife, Fork, Spoon or Spork; Plate; Bowl; Cup), Clean-up Kit (Soap in sealed container, Toothbrush & Toothpaste, Dental Floss, Comb or hair brush, Washcloth & Towel). I added a few other items per what I have learned over the years from all the wonderful folks here at ETS. A small fixed blade knife, folding hand saw, a couple of contractors size garbage bags (one as a rain cover for my pack, an extra as a makeshift shelter, poncho, ground cloth, or whatever), some assorted Ziploc bags, a beefed up first aid kit, extra emergency blankets, extra disposable ponchos (new troop, young boys, not always following the motto of being prepared), a 100 foot hank of ¼” rope (I find it a bit odd that this is not on the list), a 200 ft spool of jute twine (for guy lines and additional tinder if needed), extra assorted fire starters in a dry box, a small backpacking stove (recently added, still need to get a fuel canister), and a couple of chemical hand/body warmers.

Oh, and one last thing, on page 63 of the BSA Wilderness Survival Merit Badge Pamphlet, you will find this website listed as an online resource. I thought I was in the right place when I discovered ETS back in 2009, it's a good feeling to know that BSA agrees.

#267313 - 02/12/14 05:50 AM Re: You're a Scout Leader. What's in your backpack? [Re: Mark_F]
etehiver Offline

Thanks everyone for all the thoughtful responses! And yes, this is Cub Scouting... not the more advanced Boy Scouting. I'm sure you'd all agree it's never to early to start thinking about the right way to do this... so we're ready in the future.

I plan to take the training issue more seriously for all the reasons stated. The BSA does offer training courses too, and I'll further investigate those options along with the other ones mentioned. A number of the dads in our pack & den have completed the BSA's BALOO (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation) training course. I was also considering the BSA's IOLS (Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills) training. There are also some first-aid type classes available at our Council's "University of Scouting".

The meds issue, and the associated pitfalls, are a little clearer to me now. Just to clarify, I gave the meds in their original packaging to the kid's dad (who was with us at camp, and he administered it to his kid). I can see how that could still be problematic from a liability standpoint.

Thanks for all your insight!

#267321 - 02/12/14 06:53 PM Re: You're a Scout Leader. What's in your backpack? [Re: etehiver]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

I think you are definitely on the right track.

Cub Scouting vs Boy Scouting is exactly why I suggest the guide to safe scouting and the age appropriate activities guide. Many dad's get into Cub Scouts, thinking it is Boy Scouts, and expect the boys to go on a hike/campout miles from any facilities, or go on a multi-day canoe/camping trip along the local river, or ... well, you get the picture, and yes, I was guilty of thinking all of that. When my son was a Tiger I was really turned off by all the artsy craftsy stuff, enough so I almost pulled him out of the program, but the reason I didn't was the simple fact that my son liked it, and that was what was most important. Looking back, and looking at where we are now, I realize many of the reasons why it is structured this way. Still, it can be difficult for dads (and sometimes the kids as well) who expect more of the hardcore outdoor stuff during the Tiger year (or the wolf or bear year). That doesn't mean you can't work with your own son on these things at home outside of scouts tho, that's what we ended up doing. It also doesn't mean you can't have a strong outdoor program, you just have to be careful and be aware of what you can and can't do. See the next point.

You should also be aware of what kind of activities can and can't be done at each level, and at different events. For instance, Webelos are the only ones allowed to camp as a Den, and you cannot do shooting sports at a Den or Pack event or camp out. Just a couple of examples, there are many more you need to be aware of.

Training is good, and you can't really start too early, but just an FYI, there are TWO different OLS trainings that I am aware of. There is an OLS training that is geared towards the Boy Scout Program, and one that is geared toward Webelos Leaders (referred to specifically as OLS for Webelos Leaders). The Boy Scout version is still not bad to have, but it can wait if need be. Make sure when the time comes you sign up for the right one.

Keep up the good work and most importantly enjoy this time with your son. Mine is 12 now, he'll be 13 soon, it went by WAY too fast.

#267322 - 02/12/14 07:11 PM Re: You're a Scout Leader. What's in your backpack? [Re: etehiver]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Mark,

Mine is 34 now -- WAY too fast!

Respectfully,

Jerry

#267354 - 02/13/14 10:15 PM Re: You're a Scout Leader. What's in your backpack? [Re: etehiver]
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster and have been an Assistant Cubmaster. For both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts I try to emphasize everyone bringing adequate gear for the activity, as thinking it through and getting the gear and experiencing the results of being prepared are valuable in so many ways. In a way that might be hard for many on this forum to imagine, some Scouts (and their parents) come to this with little practical knowledge, so that, e.g., despite your instructions to bring a quart canteen in a day pack, they show up for a day hike hand-carrying a too-small bottle of water. In more serious outings there may be mandatory gear checks, but for situations like a day hike, especially for a newcomer, it is a gentle real-life instruction to go ahead and let them get tired of carrying that water bottle. And, when they drink it all and are thirsty again, to offer some of the extra water I brought just for that purpose. So, in that spirit, here is a list of some extra gear I often take on outings:

Water
Knit hats/caps/beanies
Disposable rain ponchos
Fleece pullovers
Blanket
Moleskin for blisters

Another hint... On an overnight outing I sometimes put a chemical light stick at the outhouse and another at the campsite, so Scouts don't get lost going to the bathroom in the night (they should have a buddy anyway, but, hey, even two can get turned around at night).

Best...
Steve

#267374 - 02/14/14 05:31 PM Re: You're a Scout Leader. What's in your backpack? [Re: Steve]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Steve
In a way that might be hard for many on this forum to imagine, some Scouts (and their parents) come to this with little practical knowledge, so that, e.g., despite your instructions to bring a quart canteen in a day pack, they show up for a day hike hand-carrying a too-small bottle of water.

Not hard at all Steve. Even the parents who DO know a thing or two can be just as bad, in many cases worse. Case in point, a few of the Dad's were talking about the packs the boys put together for their Tenderfoot requirement, bare minimum equipment from what I can tell, and they were talking about how, after a few camp outs and figuring out what they did and did not need, the boys could LIGHTEN their packs and take LESS equipment. I can't IMAGINE what these dads think they can eliminate from the pack. It's hard to get everyone on board with realizing that to be prepared means you HAVE to take it with you. One of our scouts has even been talking about how LITTLE gear he takes when he goes hiking outside of scouting events (presumably with a buddy or a family member(s) I hope??).

In more serious outings there may be mandatory gear checks, but for situations like a day hike, especially for a newcomer, it is a gentle real-life instruction to go ahead and let them get tired of carrying that water bottle. And, when they drink it all and are thirsty again, to offer some of the extra water I brought just for that purpose.

That is an excellent teaching opportunity to take advantage of, and bringing the extra yourself adds a margin of safety, however what do you do when the next event the scout does the same thing? Maybe he knows you are bringing extra and he doesn't have to worry about it? Maybe he couldn't convince his parents that he needs a bigger water bottle? Once people realize someone else will be prepared for them, it can get even harder to get them to do it.

Another hint... On an overnight outing I sometimes put a chemical light stick at the outhouse and another at the campsite, so Scouts don't get lost going to the bathroom in the night (they should have a buddy anyway, but, hey, even two can get turned around at night).

That is a GREAT idea.

#267376 - 02/14/14 06:12 PM Re: You're a Scout Leader. What's in your backpack? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom

In more serious outings there may be mandatory gear checks, but for situations like a day hike, especially for a newcomer, it is a gentle real-life instruction to go ahead and let them get tired of carrying that water bottle. And, when they drink it all and are thirsty again, to offer some of the extra water I brought just for that purpose.

That is an excellent teaching opportunity to take advantage of, and bringing the extra yourself adds a margin of safety, however what do you do when the next event the scout does the same thing? Maybe he knows you are bringing extra and he doesn't have to worry about it? Maybe he couldn't convince his parents that he needs a bigger water bottle? Once people realize someone else will be prepared for them, it can get even harder to get them to do it.

One thing to keep in the back of your mind, is that some parents and kiddos are just never ever going to get it. (We had one family who, for years, always forgot something, ended up getting soaked, etc. The parents were split up and kids rotated houses, mom and dad couldn't agree, etc. etc.) We're responsible for them when they're out there with us though, so I and our group, always always go prepared for the inevitable "I forgot..." or "I didn't think I needed...." or "It was too heavy..." etc.

As leaders, we all pack and carry our own gear but, additionally, on Pack trips we do one of two things, in terms of group gear, depending on the nature of the outing:

For hikes, without an over-nighter, we bring a pack that's got a group FAK, a couple of 2-way radios, extra water, tarp, cordage, some emergency ponchos, extra hats/mitts/necker, paperwork, and enough flashlights and lanyards with whistles for everyone in the group. All the leaders know what's in that kit, and we rotate through the parents, assigning one to carry it each time. We review the contents with them before we hit the trail, and explain why we carry what we do. That way, we're helping train them to be better prepared for their family outings. We also bring a second pack with a big jug of hot chocolate and enough cups for everyone, to help with hydration and warmth, and also to help keep smiles on everyone's faces.

For over-nighters, we bring one of our gear trailers with us. It's loaded with tents, sleeping bags, stoves, FAKs, and just about anything we could possibly need out there. As one example of how I/We do it, here's a trip report I submitted about one of our camping trips last year, with a lot more details:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post253574

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 538 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.