Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#26713 - 04/08/04 12:53 AM coastguard ???
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

hey all. i recently brought this up to Chris, and he gave me some quality advice. but i wanted to throw it out to everyone else (dont worry! i AM NOT questioning Chris's infinite wisdom!!!) have any of you, or have you any friends that have served in the Coast Guard. if so, do you have any advice/reccomendations/comments....etc...

at this point, im 22, living at home. the parents are buying a new house (theyre moving out before me! haha!)..i had intended on renting the house out with 2 friends, but things are falling apart. i work for the Sheriffs office right now, im not a Deputy yet because the county cant afford to put anyone through the academy...im getting frustrated. the military is not an escape. i knwo thats what most people are thinking. basically ive always had a pre-disposition for military work (family is air force), i also have a thing for the water...so, coast guard...military? yes...law enforcement? yes...water?, yes....plus it GREAT benefits, and decent money...i dont know, if i do it, i will take a spanish course over the summer and try to be at basic by september or so (dont wanna be there too late, it gets effing cold in Jersey in the winter)....

thanks in advance

<3

him

#26714 - 04/08/04 01:29 AM Re: coastguard ???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a friend that I met in college who was in the C.G.Reserve at the time. The experience seemed to be great for him. He's now a Chief in their M.L.E. (I think the M is Maritime, Law, Enforcement) section, and doesn't regret any of the 19 years in service. I passed on an opportunity to join the navy when I was in college, and sometimes still hurt my leg trying to kick myself. I could have retired this year with 20. I would advise any young person to give the service a try... pick your branch, but you're young enough that you can give it a try and not regret NOT having done it later in life (this is coming from someone with quite a few friends in the various services, and sometimes I DO have those regrets). Give me a few days to contact my friend, and if it's O.K. with him, I'll get you in touch with him, sounds like his path might be one you'd be interested in following. P.M. me if you want some more insight from my buddy who's been there and done that.

#26715 - 04/08/04 03:29 AM Re: coastguard ???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Given the info you have provided, sounds like a good match. If it doesn't turn out to be what you wanted, the experience will translate well to a law enforcement career.
I had no idea what to do with my life at 22, more power to you, buddy!

#26716 - 04/08/04 02:15 PM Re: coastguard ???
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
My oldest daughter’s boy friend is currently serving in the USCG. I believe his current rating is as an MK1. In discussions with him and my daughter he has mixed feelings. When he was on sea duty he enjoyed much of the law enforcement aspects of the job. He was less enthused about refugee intervention and time and distance to his family and my daughter. His current duty station is in Annapolis, MD and lives in Northern Baltimore. He does not seem as thrilled with current assignment, although he recently reenlisted and talks about continuing, making it a career. I do not know if this helps you or not in making a decision. My personal belief it would be a good career choice. Pete

#26717 - 04/08/04 04:35 PM Re: coastguard ???
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One of the downsides of military service is performing duties that are in conflict with personal morals. Some of the Coast Guardsmen involved in the farcical Makah Indian whale hunt joined Sea Shephard after their enlistments, while one joker possibly ran over a jet ski protester deliberately. The Guard rescues Cuban refugees while enforcing a nautical iron curtain against Haitians. It's called politics, and not even the Commandant is immune from following orders, however wrong or onerous. I was involved in a huge drug interception. Half the crew went on a celebratory drinking binge and were useless the next day. I had to pull a double watch for somebody who outranked me and was my "superior." Service can be a wonderfull experience or a nightmare. Anyone joining has to be a hard headed businessman with goals for the enlistment and possible return to civilian life after. Everything the military does is " for the good of the service," which often translates as bad for the individual.

#26718 - 04/08/04 04:46 PM Re: coastguard ???
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
Treat your militay service as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Use the educational benifits, and take advantage of the travel. You ought to arrange a visit to a USCG station and get a chance to talk with the people that are doing the job. The 2 guys I know that served in the USCG both enjoyed it.

#26719 - 04/08/04 06:22 PM Re: coastguard ???
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
I cannot speak firsthand about the USCG. However, I will speak up and say that I think that military service is a GOOD thing. I served for six years in the Marines, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Sure, things aren't great all of the time, but you will definitely learn things from military service that will serve you well later in life.

Military service is just what you make of it. There are some fantastic opportunities for education, travel, etc. I have friends who were embassy guards in ALL locations of the world....served on Presidential helicopter or Camp David detachments...ones who went into enlisted ranks and DID become officers through ECP, MECEP, etc. programs which actually let them go to school to earn a degree and commission....Warrant Officer programs..... There are *SO* many things out there in whichever branch you choose.

I did my six and have been out for over ten years, and there are OFTEN times that I regret not staying in to make a career out of it (especially considering that I would retire with 20 years service in only three more years!).

At 22, you have MANY choices ahead of you. The military would not be a bad one, in my opinion. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Harley

#26720 - 04/08/04 09:06 PM Re: coastguard ???
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

hey guys. thanks SO much for all the re:s and support. as of right now im gung-ho set on enlisting. thats the spontaneous Rumbaugh i'm known for. but thankfully the logical "businessman" Rumbaugh knows that i have to speak with a recruiter and hopefully some guys that are/were in the CG. i was trying to get in touch with a friend of mine who, unbeknownst to me is serving as a diesel mechanic somewhere in the middle east?!? somewhere near the Mediterranean...he said hes staying in a really nice condo. haha, but i digress...Paramedic, you said your daughters boyfriend is in annapolis? thats where my buddy was stationed...interesting, i spend most weekends with my ex-girlfriend (can o worms) in Greenbelt, maybe i should make an extra trip and tour the facilities? i think ill be doing that...thanks again guys!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 278 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.